It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global war on drugs 'has failed' say former leaders

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Global war on drugs 'has failed' say former leaders

www.bbc.co.uk

The global war on drugs has "failed" according to a new report by a group of politicians and former world leaders.

The Global Commission on Drug Policy report calls for the legalisation of some drugs and an end to the criminalisation of drug users.

The panel includes former UN Secretary General Kofi Annan, the former leaders of Mexico, Colombia and Brazil, and the entrepreneur Sir Richard Branson.

The US and Mexican governments have rejected the findings as misguided.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
This was posted in another forum that doesn't get much attention, I decided to post it here as it is pretty important news. What these people say carries alot of weight, and it should have an impact.

Many people would probably be aware of, and likely agree to, that the status quo isn't working, and we have to consider taking the 'war on drugs' in another direction. I'm not sure if I totally agree to what the commision says, but it does make sense.

www.bbc.co.uk

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
i find this most interesting"The US and Mexican governments have rejected the findings as misguided." of course they would how else would they find ways to make jails/ prison full, money to fund ops, the need for law enforcement and to take away freedom, the freedom of choice.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Just like it will be hard to switch to different fuels or energy sources because of the big oil companies not wanting to lose money, it's gonna be hard here in the US to get drugs decriminalized because of the amount of cash flow that comes from the incarceration of drug users and dealers.

Isn't our right to do with our bodies whatever we please protected in the 9th amendment anyway?

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

"The listing of certain rights in the Constitution shall not be interpreted to deny or minimize other unnamed rights that are, in all cases, retained by the people."

www.ralphmag.org...

Found this site as I was looking up the exact wording of the 9th. They make a lot of very good points.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
WOOOOOOO! lol
Glad it doesn't say anything about canada not agreeing with teh findings

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

Exactly, prisons are big business. They provide jobs to many people. I think some drugs should be illegal, though. Take for example meth, nothing good ever comes of that. Pot on the other hand; it's ridiculous that it's illegal. I'd much rather be in a room with someone high on a joint than someone high on meth, or even a mean drunk for that matter. But it all boils down to money at the end of the day. The war on drugs must be a profitable business.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Maybe they shouldn't have made drugs and distributed it across the world to begin with.

The "War On Drugs" never really interested me. If people are taking these drugs and killing themselves because they can't afford money to buy a bottled water after they use, then let them do it.

The government wants to get rid of 80% of the population of Earth anyway right? Maybe their creating their own problems to - I don't know...make more worthless money?

Back to topic, I think they could easily destroy every drug in the world in about 2-4 years flat, but they won't for some strange reason.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

It's very sad really, the hemp plant is such a great cheap prolific grower which doesn't need pesticides, grows like a weed.

Makes great paper, rope, clothing, oil, medicine .... oh well .......... another "green" option still not a good idea ...bwaaaa

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

I think this is spot on.... It's about time people grow the F up and dealt with the drugs issue instead of declaring war on it... what a joke.

Think of the money generated from having places to buy certain drugs instead of having to go to dodgy houses and associating with dodgy people.... the tax would be vast.

Coffee shop type places to buy weed and so on, even if not to smoke it, just to buy it.

They paraded some of the celebrities that supported this on the news earlier.

RIchard Branson (of course)
Dame Judi Dench
Sting
Julie Christie

After the recent announcement of the Global Commission on Drug Policy (GCDP) British VIPs have come out in support of legalisation of drugs in the UK. Richard Branson the entrepreneur recently sat on the GDPC. An open letter has been sent to the Prime Minister of the Coalition Government David Cameron signed by famous artistes of stage, screen and the music world including: Dame Judi DenchJudi Dench, StingSting and Julie ChristieJulie Christie . The letter has called for the possession of all drugs to be decriminalised said: "We need to reduce the harm caused by drugs …we cannot afford to go on pretending the war on drugs is working “Should such a review of the evidence demonstrate the failure of the current position we would call for the immediate decriminalization of drug possession.”

edit on 2/6/11 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Droogie

This was posted in another forum that doesn't get much attention, I decided to post it here as it is pretty important news. What these people say carries alot of weight, and it should have an impact.

Many people would probably be aware of, and likely agree to, that the status quo isn't working, and we have to consider taking the 'war on drugs' in another direction. I'm not sure if I totally agree to what the commision says, but it does make sense.

www.bbc.co.uk

Actually, it and others were posted here but got moved to the back burner. I expect you will have the same fate. Good that you posted though, this needs all the exposure it can get. I hope we are seeing a new paradigm.

I hope you're handing out stars to all those who respond to your thread. It's a nice courtesy.

edit on 2-6-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I'd say it has far from failed!

The ongoing prohibition has fed the burgeoning private prison industry and continues to do so - a big win for the owners and shareholders.

Laundered drug money has been used as seed money for propping up businesses and as seed money for start-ups.

It has helped politicians in the US and elsewhere get elected or stay in power.

It provides off the books funding for dirty little political shenanigans and overthrows of governments not willing to play by the bankers rules.

The list of benefits just goes on and on!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by BEAST1E
Isn't our right to do with our bodies whatever we please protected in the 9th amendment anyway?

I agree with that, that should be our right, but currently it isn't. One of the main arguments is that if you abuse narcotics and ruin your body, you turn to the welfare system and everyone else has to pay for your mistakes. Or simply go to jail and cost tax payers money. I believe the argument that you're hurting yourself isn't really what concerns the naysayers, they don't care really. I think it's the money aspect of it.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Droogie

Originally posted by BEAST1E

I agree with that, that should be our right, but currently it isn't. One of the main arguments is that if you abuse narcotics and ruin your body, you turn to the welfare system and everyone else has to pay for your mistakes. Or simply go to jail and cost tax payers money. I believe the argument that you're hurting yourself isn't really what concerns the naysayers, they don't care really. I think it's the money aspect of it.

Of course it has to do with money. If you drink and abuse and wreck your liver and have the money for a transplant then you're gonna get one. Different story for the homeless wino on the street. Hospitals treat people differently; I've seen it with my own eyes. Had a doctor basically tell my family that my brother was at the end of the line with his meth addiction and they wanted us to pull the plug and we said, no let's give him a chance. They were done with dealing with him and lo-and-behold someone put the feeding tube directly into his lung and what a surprise, he developed pneumonia and died days later. He was fine prior to this, you know he sat up and said to my sister, "I don't want to die" and those were his last words.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Also ... according to a documentary i watched ... One of the main reasons marijuana was given its illegal status, and purposely yet incorrectly portrayed as being a drug that drives peoples crazy, murdering their partners and what not, was to control the hemp production / farming, which was a very lucrative business at a time, as anyone in the know, knows ..
The plan was, apparently, to drive hemp, and its many uses, for its very long lasting fibres, biofuel, etc .. the list goes on .. out of production ... to be replaced .. with .. Cotton !! Which doesnt last so long, requires pesticides (huge market in the pesticides for cotton farming alone, and are apparently responsible for ruining soil, pouring into streams, killing wildlife) ... And also pave the way for synthetic fabric .. and of course pharmaceutical companies have also apparently cashed in on the control of marijuana big time ... by controlling that to a minimum, and as well as making a tidy profit off that, and depriving the many of the benefits .. they get to push their man made chemical drugs at grossly over inflated prices ...

Just one, of the many aspects of controlling drugs ... none of which i think have anything to do with protecting the public...

And i am disgusted, that by being born in the land i am (apparently without choice), that i am automatically subject to a law, that allows the police to enter my house if they suspect i am smoking a certain type of cigarette ... confiscate my stuff ... arrest and charge me .. and send me to court ...

How dare they tell me i, a 38 year old adult of sound mind, who would never harm anyone, or do anything that i deem wrong to anyone .. that I am not allowed to do this harmless activity in my own home ... Its disgusting i am not allowed to make this choice for myself .. and can go to jail for choosing to puff my cigarette.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Also .. i signed this .. did anyone else ? ...
www.avaaz.org...

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Segenam

Yeah, it's messed up huh? Again, has to do with the bottom line, money as usual. But it's okay to drink everyday and even if you have kids, still okay because it's legal and "everybody does it."

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
It hasn't failed at all.

It has employed thousands of police and federal agents, it has created huge industries with large government contracts and pork-barrel spending. The illegality has driven up street prices, putting money in the pockets of gangsters and the corrupt politicians and officials they buy. The money-laundering of drug money is another profitable industry worth many billions. The CIA gets to truck drugs in and out of various countries for various purposes.

I would say it has not failed...it has suceeded beyond the wildest dreams of TPTB in creating illicit wealth and corruption of power.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofsheba

yes but for one to legal you must make them all legal for then you get ride of the war all together and put the cartels out of biz.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Dear Segenam, Thanks for the link I just signed the petition. Wow! Already over 500,000 have signed hopefully the numbers will continue to grow.

Also I'm afraid that what you described isn't going to change until the U.S and the world, stop being ruled by greed, and greed alone. It really is a sick sad little world we live in(Incubus anybody?). Anyone up for finding an unmapped island and sailing their and creating our own living environment and laws? All peace loving people are welcome of course, degenerates need not apply.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

When was there ever a war on drugs. There has been a lot of money spent. There have been a lot of laws passed using this as an excuse. There has been a war on people. It has been a money maker as prisons and jails filled up. But when has there ever been a war on drugs? You can't have a war against yourself. Anyone who is somewhat knowledgeable on this subject knows and have known that the CIA and its body of criminals is the largest and has been the largest illegal drug dealers on the planet All under the Auspices of their WAR on drugs. All being in collusion with the Criminal governments on the planet.The problem is all this money has been going into the hands of these criminals not into the public coffers. Now that these countries are bankrupt they no longer can afford out of the public funds to operate their enormous networks. They are in what one may say a pickle. I am sure that they have back up plans. That is probably the scary part.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join