It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is no end of the world and never will

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
My mom was just talking on phone with my sister, and she mentioned end of the world. This made me thinking...
There is no end of the world, and never will, just as topic says.
Why? Because world is universe. World is not only Earth, where we, humans are. Humans may end, along with earth, but that does not mean that whole universe will end because of us.
Why people in the first place call it End of the World, when it should be End of Humanity?

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Farnhold

I think most people interpet "world" to be the planet and all of it's inhabitants, not just humans. The world is not the universe in the physical sense. Eventually, it will all end or at the very least change into something completely new.

link   
We don't think of the universe as our world because we have no clue what is going on out there and have never been there.

link   

world/wərld/Noun
1. The earth, together with all of its countries, peoples, and natural features.
2. All of the people, societies, and institutions on the earth.

The "world" is not the universe. but i agree they should be saying the end of humanity, unless we know for sure the earth itself will be destroyed along with us.

interceptor
edit on 2-6-2011 by TheInterceptor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TheInterceptor

Yes, but when you think of it. When you think of word World, what comes through your mind? Just Earth itself or whole universe? Universe makes so much more sense, Earth is just 1/x of it.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
When I hear "the world"...it only reminds me of earth. I don't know maybe it's just me but when I hear the "the end of the world"...I only think about my world...it happens to be all I know!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
When I think of World, I don't think of the universe at all. I simply think of planet Earth. I think that stands true for the majority of us, but to each his own...Eventually all life on Earth WILL end, as it is an inescapable scientific certainty. The universe itself could possibly end as well, depending on whether all matter begins to slow down and collapse into a big-crunch.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Actually,, no.

The world is the world...our world....our Earth. The universe is the universe, which INCLUDES Earth. Life on Earth will end. That's a fact. Our sun, needed for Earth to survive, will eventually burn out in billions of years and will end Earth. At that point, until it gets sucked into a black hole or something, only remnants of Earth, non-supporting of life, will still be present.

As far as doomsday prophecies, once again ATS, much like survival, has different opinions as to what this means. Many feel that if our electrical grid was wiped out, a possibility (slim) given the potential of solar storms and an increased risk of Earth-directed solar flares or CMEs, it would end life as we know it. This is true, but does not equal an end to the world.

Those that think Elenin will strike us, feel that will end the world. It won't. Human and animal life maybe, but as history has proven, Life in our oceans will continue.

So is there a finite end to Earth?. Sure. That's been proven. However, the billions of years this will take to happen doesn't mean one thing to anybody walking the Earth now.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Farnhold
reply to post by TheInterceptor

Yes, but when you think of it. When you think of word World, what comes through your mind? Just Earth itself or whole universe? Universe makes so much more sense, Earth is just 1/x of it.

It doesn't make any sense frankly. When you leave work and say you are going home, you mean your house, not that you are returning to Earth. However, your home is part of Earth, but the terms are not interchangeable.

Just as Jupiter does not equal the Universe, Earth doesn't either. The world to us equals Earth. These are the terms as we have defined and accepted them.

Now, life on other planets would call that their world, which is part of the universe. However, their world is not the same as our world therefore they can not mean the same thing.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

i get your point however when i here it the "world " i think of the blue orb we are on, we call earth, terra firma, and world, yes this will end just as our solar sys will one day end will the universe end??That is yet to be known, but where there is beginning there must be an end, not as an end end as is no more, but as a new, start over, to be reborn.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
People would say the end of the universe if they ment the universe. However you are correct about the end of humanity, the earth would still exist unless it exploded or something lol. I guess its more of a, "The end of the world as we know it" way of seeing things.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Well, people always use the bible as a reference for the doom and gloom thing. However, they conveniently glean over the fact theat the bible says the "World will be WITHOUT END." Also, they also ignore the fact that ancient prophecy is chock-full of symbolism.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I have to agree with the majority ...

World is the planet .. universe is universe ...

Both of which will definitely come to an end in some form at some time ... even an inaminate object left with no other interaction of any sort, will still degrade at a molecular level until it ceases to be what it was ...

However .. on a brighter note ... im one of those optimists that think .. with all the recycling of matter going on, on many levels .. biologically, within ecosystems etc .. tectonically ... the list goes ... and on a larger scale .. the same recycling appears to happen when stars go Supernova etc ... and Galaxies
Based on this same 'recycling' law of death and rebirth that appears to happen on our planet, and through the entire universe ... I wouldn't be surprised at all, if the universe, itself, was part of some larger recycling mechanism ... and was born once again after its death ..

Just my 2cent worth

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
The awesome thing about this arguement is, you can never be wrong!! If it doesn't happen you are right....If it does happen nobody will be around to tell you otherwise!!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
It's very simple.

When most people say "World" they mean our collective consciousness as human beings. Nothing more.

There won't be an end of the world.

There may be an end of time though... at least as we currently experience it.

Namaste.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Interesting...
Here is the definition of "World":
world (wûrld)
n.
1. The earth.
2. The universe.
3. The earth with its inhabitants.
4. The inhabitants of the earth; the human race.
a. Humankind considered as social beings; human society: turned her back on the world.
b. People as a whole; the public: The event amazed the world.
6. often World A specified part of the earth: the Western World.
7. A part of the earth and its inhabitants as known at a given period in history: the ancient world.
8. A realm or domain: the animal world; the world of imagination.
a. A sphere of human activity or interest: the world of sports.
b. A class or group of people with common characteristics or pursuits: the scientific world.
10. A particular way of life: the world of the homeless.
11. All that relates to or affects the life of a person: He saw his world collapse about him.
12. Secular life and its concerns: a man of the world.
a. Human existence; life: brought a child into the world.
b. A state of existence: the next world.
14. A large amount; much. Often used in the plural: did her a world of good; candidates that are worlds apart on foreign policy.
15. A celestial body such as a planet: the possibility of life on other worlds.
adj.
.Source: www.thefreedictionary.com...

From same site, the definition of "Universe":
u·ni·verse (yn-vûrs)
n.
1. All matter and energy, including the earth, the galaxies, and the contents of intergalactic space, regarded as a whole.
a. The earth together with all its inhabitants and created things.
b. The human race.
3. The sphere or realm in which something exists or takes place.
4. Logic See universe of discourse.
5. Statistics See population.

Seems to me that the two words are synonymus.

So, upon reading and absorbing these two definitions, no - the world will never end, but our idea of "end" is personal to each individual. "As I know it to be", my world will end some day. It's changing all the time.

In respect of the "World" as only Earth, it will end, but only as we know it to be. It may look like the Moon or Mars one day, but I believe that it will still be around in the Universe.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
the planet earth could be destroyed in less than a second at any random moment. this planets size is so minuscule let alone a human being compared to the vastness of space that at any given moment we could be reduced to a dust cloud by pretty much anything the universe throws at us. the key lesson to learn from the "end of the world" is that we should not take what we have for granted.

top topics

join