It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Own Personal American Revolution: 10 Things YOU Can Do Now, Really, To Start Change

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

Although I agree with you in part, this is not the churches' responsibility. I believe that this is a matter for individual states to decide. Separation of church and state to me is a good thing... thanks for your input...

Also, judging a situation is one thing, but the Bible teaches us not to judge each other. For a church to actively promote judging of it's families goes against it's own Biblical doctrine. My own pastor told us in church "If you find yourself in a church which teaches false doctrine, get out."

Regardless of my personal beliefs, I agree with the OP that we should know who and what our dollars support whether they be church or state, and make better decisions based on that knowledge.
edit on 6/2/2011 by visualmiscreant because: added content for clarification

And by the way, I am a recipient of The Humanitarian Service Medal from the State of Florida, so helping others is in no way new to me, nor something which I do not participate in.
edit on 6/2/2011 by visualmiscreant because: added comment for clarification

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Very well written post. Many of the things you list and suggest I have actually been doing myself for years.

Many people can not grasp the simplicity of it all however. For instance, many people have no idea how to live life without credit cards and lines of credit to make larger purchases such as cars. I live my life with a very very simple outlook. If I do not have the cash to buy it outright, then I can not afford it. Would I like a new car?? Of course I would. Will I spend $45,000 for a new car? Absolutely not. What I have done, and made a profit from, is I buy used cars. I usually find them for around $2500 which I can pay for in cash. I then spend some of my time fixing up these used cars and making them nice. I once bought a 1993 Mazda MX6. I fixed it up, added a body kit, painted it, drove it for 2 years then turned around and sold it for $15,000. In my opinion, that is much better than spending $45,000 only to watch the value drop the second I drive it off the car lot and never being able to get back from it what I put into it.

Going back to credit cards... I have always kept 2 secured cards. Grand total between both cards in credit? $500.00 which I would only use in case of Emergencies. I am currently preparing to close those secured card accounts now in favor of the new "Greendot card". For those who do not know, you can buy these at Walmart, Walgreens, or Radio Shack. It is a prepaid credit card. For the cost of $105.00 I instantly have a $100.00 credit limit. However, it is already paid for. Outside of the extra $5.00 I do not have to worry about interest rates, I do not have to worry about making payments. I do not have to worry about being robbed by a credit card company.

Let us make no mistake about it, credit card companies are robbing us blind and we are willingly allowing them to do so. My last card had somewhere around a 12% interest rate. I came upon a situation a year ago that I did not have the cash to get out of. I needed $1500.00. Someone offered to loan me the money and 5% interest.

Now by law the person who offered the money to me would be called a "loan shark" and it is illegal because he is charging me interest to repay the loan. He could go to jail. Yet the rate of this criminal "loan shark" was clearly better for me than to use the legal method at 12% interest. Now the numbers can't lie..5% vs 12%... you tell me who is really the criminal and who is really the "loan shark"?

One thing I would like to add to your list is Auto Insurance. If your smart and able, buy a motorcycle and get out of paying outrageous rates for Auto Insurance. I have always drove a car until last year. My cost for auto insurance was $150.00 per month. If I had no accidents, usually your rate remains the same. Sometime it will still go up. I was shocked when I bought my motorcycle. Not only did I spend $10.00 every 2 weeks in gasoline compared the $100.00 every 2 weeks for my car, the insurance (which I must have by law) only cost me $250.00 per year.

I think it is pointless for me to say, but I have not driven my car since I bought my motorcycle. It now sits parked in my driveway, uninsured, and has not moved in a year.
edit on 2-6-2011 by MrWendal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I already do most of that. I say the only way were gonna get results is to pick up arms. I'm ready to decapitate some CEO's.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by wantsome
I already do most of that. I say the only way were gonna get results is to pick up arms. I'm ready to decapitate some CEO's.

I'll admit to wistfully (I know, it sounds sick) imagining a secret group of PSTDed, pissed-off ex soldiers doing some vigilantism. Oh,for a mysterious disaster at Bohemian Grove or a tragic incident at a meeting of the fed with their banker buddies. Frankly I am surprised we have not yet had some old fashion mafia style fury while they dine somewhere.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by visualmiscreant

Good for you

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by EmVeeFF

I know it's not now but wasn't wal-mart at one time usa only products?

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Number 11 - BURN EVERYTHING!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Great post.

I agree with pretty much all of it.

One thing that really disgusts me is the politicizing that is going on in churches. When I visited my parents last year, I went to church with them and there was a "guest" priest who gave a bizarre sermon about how everyone in Iran was a drug addict and went rambling on about how bad Iran was. I almost walked out of the service, I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

Cancelling checking and savings accounts with the big banks cannot be repeated enough. Don't support Chase or Bank of America, etc. They are all bad. Get a credit union account instead.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I have to echo growing your own food. Even in a small area you can grow enough food to make a difference in your budget. For example I grow potatoes in five gallon buckets, just plant one eye per bucket, fill in with garden soil after poking some drainage holes, plant the eye at the top, I know but I didn't say that once, then when it's time to harvest just dump the bucket over. I am growing tomatoes in those topsey turvey things and it's working, I'm growing three plants in the space that I would have needed for one plant.

Getting rid of credit cards and only pay cash whenever possible; if you must buy a car on time save the biggest down payment you can saves so much money in interest and other fees. I try to only buy from small businesses; keeps my money in my community. Changing to the local credit union was the best banking decision I've ever made. The service is so much better, they know who you are and should a check come through that isn't one you would normally write they'll call and make sure it's okay. I love that in this age of identity theft.

If possible try to hang your clothes out to dry reducing electrical usage, saves you money and helps to conserve resources.
edit on 2-6-2011 by gallopinghordes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

pajoly I enjoyed your post. i felt the most important advice is to realize the difference between WANTS and NEEDS. not long ago we were all bombarded with stacks of pre-approved credit cards, most of us took the bait, indulged in all those wonderful toys and we're still in debt today. learning to be a good steward to your money is essential. an authentic Colorado cowboy once told me: "It ain't how much you make, it's how you spend it" and over the long haul I learn to appreciate the wisdom in those words.

THE REAL VOTE IS IN YOUR WALLET

The promise one thing then do another, leaving you in regret for casting your vote. Get smart, friends. Your real vote is in your wallet or pocketbook. Are you happy about the Exxon Valdez ruining the Prince William Sound in lovely Alaska? If you like, keep buying Exxon. Happy about BP spraying it all over the Gulf of Mexico? If you do, keep buying BP. This goes right on down the line. Every dollar you spend is a vote. Stop rewarding poor morals, vile business ethics, bad service and foreign made products.

SAVE WHEN BUYING, PROFIT WHEN SELLING

Save a bundle buying used online at eBay, half.com, Craigslist and many other websites. The USA is so over-packed with years of things bought on sale and gifts never used, you'd be amazed at the deals you will get. Get rid of your good unwanted items the same way. First read up on tips online (safety first) and give it a shot. There are also lots of sites to help you give things away, and that is a wonderful thing.

pajoly thank you for your OP and for inviting our feedback.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Few things I would like to add to the great list provided...

1. GET RID OF FACEBOOK, goldman sachs didnt invest half a billion dollars for nothing... Just another way to track everybody

2. Get eye opening documentaries and burn them and spread them out! Ive recently started doing this, Im getting a good response... Currently the doc's im burning and spreading out are... (Zeitgeist Addendum, and Moving forward. Collapse, College Conspiracy, Invisible Empire, Loose Change, American Dream Film, End:Civ, What in the world are they spraying, Into The Fire, Collective Evolution...)

These are all great eye opener documentaries, which challenge people to think outside the box... I normally start by giving people zeitgeist, and collective evolution, then give them others down the road

3. Start a garden NOW, If not to just learn what needs to be done, so you will be ready...

4. I really like how you said about consumerist habits and buying ONLY WHAT YOU REALLY NEED, The only thing I can add would be this...

edit on 2-6-2011 by morder1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Cool.

Let's add:

Don't compromise your principles, even if it costs you a job.

I know, easier said than done, but this could be very effective.

It happens every day. Someone does something unethical or tolerates unethical treatment in the workplace just to keep their paycheck. I see it all the time, I bet many of you do as well.Tyrants don't just sit up on Capitol Hill or in desert palaces and caves. They run the office too.

Oh... and hold people to their word. It's all we really have in the end. If we don't have that, we have nothing. Demand honesty and abhor deception. Very simple, but not easy.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Great list OP, thank you very much S&F.

Adding...

11. Avoid all pharma where you can, and learn as much as possible about 'natural' alternatives.

12. Don't buy into the CLIMATE CHANGE game.

13. Vote Ron Paul 2012

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Great thread,
Buy American made products and stop supporting cheap foreign imports.
Let’s not support American Corporations who sold us out by outsourcing our jobs.
I agree we need to start supporting our own communities, and help each other; this is something I have been doing for some time.
We should not waste our time supporting the Republicans or Democratic politicians. Let the world’s Corporations have their elections, they are not for *We The People.*
I think we should completely ignore the government that is now elected (bought and paid for by the world’s Corporations) and form a new government with a new election done by paper ballets.
It is time to fade out our cronies whose only goal is to support big business and sell out America for greed.
First new law I would recommend in getting pass, no more lobbyist.
New laws should be pass that all politicians cannot make money while in office, and they are to be paid a flat salary, so this leave out the greed and how to get rich quick, by doing favors for the rich.
No more politicians for profits.
We need politicians who really care about our country and support what the American people want, not what the global corporations want.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

Awesome thread!! personally I only have numbers 1 & 2 left but I am gonna spread this entire list to my family
greatly appreciated OP.

edit on 3-6-2011 by LeftLeoLearning because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by pajoly
3. Stop buying ANYTHING that is discretionary. EVERYTHING, unless you absolutely NEED it. Do you really need another pair of shoes? Probably not. If you do, check out the local thrift store. If you MUST really need a new pair, ONLY...EVER...buy a pair made in the USA, even if it cost 30% more. If you must buy anything, make sure you are penalizing offshore work and putting money into a USA person's wages. This is hard for some, we've grown so accustomed to impulse buying that $19 dollar shirt or $12 pair of shorts at Target or Wal-Mart. But those are made in China or Indonesia or etc.. Reject those goods. Be clear, this is NOT about nationalism -- it is about saving the American job. I'm a veteran, when the bullets fly, squads are not fighting for their country, they are fighting for their buddy next to them. Fight for your neighbor's job. If you think this is hard, then try this, pick one day of the week, every week, where you buy NOTHING. Just make it a game. You WILL save money and you'll stop feeding the beast.

That's commendable of course but now is not the time to be a hero. How would you know that those American workers you're supporting will still not shop at Walmart? Your own personal opportunity cost should be your top priority.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
This should be put into some ATS archive here...ive always had this mentallity, but the creator of this naile dit odwn pretty damn good. i only buy local, not some corporate brand or influence, and alway whenever possible buy american made* i only make so much, but you know what* ide rather pay $30 for 4 pairs of socks made in USA ,knowing for another american family ive helped put food on thier table, and mostly, made it so they have a job tomorrow. thats always been my outlook. and for the record...i hodl doors open for an old lday after shopping if she is in front or behind me..i also tell her to take her time moving. At least at wlamart, ive had others stare at me for doing this, like its something theyve nnever done before...amazing

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
United we stand, divided we fall brothers and sister...
This topic always get me AMPED in a positive way..make me think of punk metla band form the late 80;s called cranivore...i thijk the song was called USA for USA but thats that whe song was about and this topic..ide post it here, but it has a tad vulgar language in it..but basically its love it here or leave..united we stand divided we fall.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
One item I would add to your list is buying gasoline from American manufacturers. Sure it might cost a few cents more, but I'd rather put those few cents back into our economy than send it over to the middle east.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Funniest thing is that it truly is this simple...
However it's a true Rubik's cube conundrum for the majority of western peoples.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join