It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why swearing in Barnsley could land you with an £80 fine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

On-the-spot fines of up to £80 could be given to people caught swearing in Barnsley town centre. In June, people will be asked to report anyone causing offence or intimidation by their use of bad language. The decision to bring in fines was made after discussions between South Yorkshire Police and community organisation, Barnsley Voice.

BBC News

Im not too sure if the video explaining this new law will work worldwide, but it's pritty self explanitery. If you sware or even blaspheme, you could recieve an £80 on the spot fine. One fine has already been issued on it's first day, and as the woman points out, its your word Vs the authorities, which seems to be more and more of the case in Britan.

So there you have it, free speech now costs £80 a sentence.

(Apoligies for bad spelling.)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
While I would probably start swearing if I ended up in Barnsley, I don't think that using rude words, on their own, should be a punishable offence.

Who actually decides which words are legally acceptable and which are not ?

I mean, you can threaten someone without swearing, and you can swear at someone without threatening them.

This sounds crazy.

If there's not a law defining which words you can and cannot heatedly use towards others, then how on earth can you be fined for saying something that has not been legally prohibited ?!

join