It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ugie1028

Yes, losing the public assistance does create a chance for more crime and/or homelessness, but sometimes people have to suffer a dire consequence before they will finally turn things around.

I have always had an issue with career welfare recipients. Personally, I think if someone becomes pregnant while on Public Assistance, they should be penalized instead of rewarded. The same goes for someone on public assistance and then strapped with a new child support payment. If someone cannot take care of themselves, then they should not be adding more mouths to feed.

The current system is flawed, because it continually rewards bad behavior and decision making. Any changes to it will have some negative repercussions, but hopefully in the long run they will also have positive repercussions that outweigh the negative.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by nixie_nox

This law is one of the good ones.

Please read what I typed...

I thought most Conservatives and Righties said liberals were crazy for trying to govern morality?

I'll say again, anyone who uses drugs is accustomed to getting around the tests. They'll simply borrow some of brother/sister/friend piss.

This Bill is a waste of time and is only koolaide for the self-righteous and petty.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by joyride0187

Originally posted by doobydoll
Corrupt governor Scott used to own the drug-test company until January when he gave it to his wife. Next thing ya know he's pushing for a law to drug-test welfare recipients - a test which his wife's company is qualified to perform. Guaranteed wealth for Mr. & Mrs. Scott, don'cha think?

Just think of all the appeals and recipients' demands for re-tests - more expense for the taxpayer, but it is guaranteed income for Scotty & spouse.

And then, after all this palaver, the positive-tested applicants WILL STILL RECEIVE THEIR FREE MONEY
Aunty Doris will hand it over after she's been designated to receive it on their behalf.

So, the point of the tests is .... ?

The corrupt governor and his wife are the only people who will benefit from this law.

The state and it's taxpaying citizens lose out big time.
edit on 1-6-2011 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

Stop spreading misinformation. This is not at ALL true. All family shares of Solantic were sold in mid April to a private investment firm located in New York.

Can you address the part where it's asked, "the point of the test is...?"

Because as stated, the person will STILL receive the money, just from a friend...

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by mustard seed

I am sorry you have been through what you have. But this isnt about people on disability, whome I absolutely believe in supporting, this is about people who refuse to work at all, and contribute nothing to society. You have contributed to society.

Should the poor be targets? No

Because no amount of welfare fraud can ever compare to what the corporations have fleeced from us.

Welfare is the option of last resort. It is not someone who is having trouble making ends meet, they couldnt' meet the ends anymore.

People also work on welfare. I have seen people with three jobs who still don't make enough to get by.

But it also can be said that the money that is being wasted on frivilous spending and drug addicts, should be put towards someone else who can really use it.

I work in welfare...and I can't name one customer (I interact with them frequently) who are using drugs. Drug addicts seldom, if ever qualify for cash assistance!

You've brought into that propaganda that the elite pay billions to make poor people oppress poorer people.

Stop the ignorance...

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure most drug tests just catch marijuana smokers while people taking hardcore illegal drugs and hardcore prescription drugs can just stop taking them for a day and pass the test. More importantly this is a terrible breach of personal privacy and presumes guilt. People who are truly in need will be hard pressed to pay for this or go through legal proceedings and appeals if they get a false positive.

Who will they come after next? This is a very slippery slope. If they are going to do this then they should require it of anyone who receives governments checks, tax breaks, benefits, healthcare or government funding and subsidies. This should start with all members of Congress.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by emos75
reply to post by jrod

You have a very good point but what I ask is should I pay out of my own pocket to help support some junky who is to lazy to work,these are hard times and as a hard working American I refuse to help some drug out person with 10 kids when there is so many people who really need the help and get denied when they apply.Something has got to change and the drugged out people should be the first. Sorry If I offend it is a touchy subject

Stop buying into the propaganda wealthy, elite have sold you. I work in the industry and I don't know of any drug addicts receiving welfare. The problem they encounter is they will get "sanctioned" because they will refuse to do the community service which is a requirement of receiving welfare.

Did you know that everyone receiving welfare has to do from 30-40 hours of community service or school per WEEK to avoid having their assistance cut?

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Keyhole

Originally posted by DZAG Wright

If you really want to do something, everytime a politician wage a war on the poor inform them you don't want to hear about Piss-Poor Peter, you want to watch the money of Millionaire Mikey.

I don't consider this waging war on the poor!

I consider this as waging war on people who get free tax payers money and go out and piss it away on drugs, not exactly what that free tax payers money was intended to do for them!

People have to jump through a lot of "hoops" to qualify for this money, I say let drug testing also be one of those "hoops".

Exactly! You have to jump through all types of hoops to get approved and addicts are not willing to do this. Read my other posts and stop eating the propaganda.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
I completely support this measure. If you test positive for drugs kiss your free money goodbye. I also believe you shouldn't be allowed to buy alcohol or smokes with the free money that you get paid. That money comes from people like me out in the real world who work for a living trying to make ends meet.

Instead of being high and mighty (I am guessing you are a "Christian"), you should be saying,"But for the grace of God go I."

Your hate will bite you in the butt one day. I am out of work. I made a high income. An ugly divorce with an irrational ex left lawyers in the black and both she and I in Chapter 7. I've applied for countless jobs, low and high, with nothing. I spent some of my last resources getting professional employment assistance, etc.

But I'll be damned if I let the state force a needle into me to satisfy its own statist sadism and to enrich the foul spectre of a human that sits in our governor's office. I will put my kids on beans and rice and water before I do it. They need to learn to value freedom and principle; they must learn to NEVER give away their dignity to the State, even at the price of hunger.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by ugie1028

I have always had an issue with career welfare recipients.

As of 10/1996, there's no longer a such thing as a career welfare recipient. States vary a little, but the average time a person can receive welfare is 48 months for their ENTIRE life.

Please stop drinking the wealthy, elites propaganda...

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

You said it. Stick a needle in the "government health care" utilizing, benefit glutting Governor, staff and every other tax payer funded state and federal representatives first. Let them prove they are clean enough for us to provide them with government benefits and pay.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisCrikey
Who will they come after next? This is a very slippery slope.

Especially thanks for this!

I'm a bit surprised at how hypocritical some people are at this site. They meow about the government taking our freedoms....then turn around and cheer it?

So what they actually mean is, I don't mind the government taking someone elses freedom or impeding upon their privacy...just not mine.

How selfish.

You either want freedom or you don't...there's bad that comes with the good...always.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
An awful lot of the po faced contributors to this thread are taking a huge karmic risk here, from my understanding of the US welfare and med insurance scams most of you are a bad accident, an expensive illness or unemployment away from poverty and potential homelessness, an accidental or malicious dose of illegal drugs or a faulty test or even a paperwork screw up could send you to a Kafkaesque hell. Lol

edit on 1-6-2011 by Thepreye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
And I'll say this even though I shouldn't...(To all concerned the following statements are untrue and I claim no resonsibility for them).

I've sold...umm...tools of recreation, and I can assure you that a very, very small portion of the customers are welfare recepients. Most, and the best, business comes from your "professional" peoples. Everyone from teachers to attorney's to sports athletes to judges to physicians to police.

Stop being the front line soldiers in the elites war of poor against poor while they laugh...

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by pajoly

Originally posted by jjkenobi
I completely support this measure. If you test positive for drugs kiss your free money goodbye. I also believe you shouldn't be allowed to buy alcohol or smokes with the free money that you get paid. That money comes from people like me out in the real world who work for a living trying to make ends meet.

Instead of being high and mighty (I am guessing you are a "Christian"), you should be saying,"But for the grace of God go I."

Your hate will bite you in the butt one day. I am out of work. I made a high income. An ugly divorce with an irrational ex left lawyers in the black and both she and I in Chapter 7. I've applied for countless jobs, low and high, with nothing. I spent some of my last resources getting professional employment assistance, etc.

But I'll be damned if I let the state force a needle into me to satisfy its own statist sadism and to enrich the foul spectre of a human that sits in our governor's office. I will put my kids on beans and rice and water before I do it. They need to learn to value freedom and principle; they must learn to NEVER give away their dignity to the State, even at the price of hunger.

Thank you for the chin-check many people seem to need. As I've stated I work in welfare and a small percentage of our customers are habitual welfare recipients. Many of our customers are highly educated and hard working. I have ALL types of people that come sit at my desk. I may have a young lady who dropped out of school and then 30 minutes later I have a 44 year old mother with a Masters and driving a Benz.

You keep at your search and one thing I've noticed that is helping with employment in this market is to actually volunteer your services somewhere you wish to work. Many of my customers have had luck with this, and I myself am considering this because I desire a career change. A person will usually be hired after a few weeks of volunteering and showing their work ethic.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DZAG Wright

I don't know where your from but here in Kansas city Ks on the Missouri side you see women with 5 kids and she is a drug user and has a child on the way and has no clue who any of the kids father is and gets no support,but its ok to use my tax dollars to pay for her habit while the kids don't get to eat because she sold her food stamp to get more drugs.There is no community service before gets welfare here,you just have to have a lot of kid with no daddy.
I am far from wealthy I make ok money but to have to pay for that hell no.If I lose my job do you think I get welfare no

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Weed is about the only thing keeping people that are dirt poor from exploding, this is counter productive IMO.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

I'm a bit surprised at how hypocritical some people are at this site. They meow about the government taking our freedoms....then turn around and cheer it?

So what they actually mean is, I don't mind the government taking someone elses freedom or impeding upon their privacy...just not mine.

How selfish.

You either want freedom or you don't...there's bad that comes with the good...always.

Even many on ATS only toss about words like "freedom" as part of faux patriotic rants. These people don't understand the real meaning of the word. To them "freedom" is very simple and it 100% about their wallet and "freedom" within the narrow confines of their Christofascist worldview. In other words, they only want freedom for them, on their terms and are not prepared, willing or do they even care about the macro, larger meaning.

These are the same people who want to be free to tell you how to live, who to love, what religion to practice, etc. Christofascist and freedom are actually blood enemies, being completely mutually exclusive of the other.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by DZAG Wright

How do you know they are drug free people lie and will do what they can to get.I'm not saying everyones on welfare are users but if there is not drug testing you would never know.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I'm wondering if food stamp recipients would be included in this drug testing. If so then lower ranking military personnel, disabled people and a lot of pensioners will be having to submit to all this. I already knew that a large percentage of ATS patriots here who scream about freedom, due process, privacy and personal responsibility would be hypocrites on this. Well, they'll drug test you all at some point the way things are going so prepare yourself. Your urine and blood belong to the state and they can demand it and use it to deny you whatever they want to deny.

Maybe they aren't going to like what they see in your DNA either...that's next because they can and do correlate those findings to criminal or anti-social personalities...again you're guilty until proven innocent.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
How about this for a law, if you are guilty of breaking the law, misdemeanors included, you cannot run for any office or become a member of any administration's staff. Or how about this one, if you are found guilty of any white collar crime that effects 100 or more people than all your assets go to those people. Why is the poor and the powerless the ones always get penalized with draconian laws?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join