It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious Anomaly Leaves Japanese Satellite Dead in Orbit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Source

Japan's Earth-observing satellite Daichi is dead in orbit, three weeks after a mysterious anomaly crippled the spacecraft, the nation's space agency announced today (May 12).

Daichi, formally known as the Advanced Land Observing Satellite (ALOS), unexpectedly powered down on April 22 for reasons that remain murky. The Japanese Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) repeatedly tried to re-establish communication with Daichi over several weeks, but finally threw in the towel today.

"We decided to complete its operations by sending a command from the ground to halt its onboard transmitter and batteries at 10:50 a.m. on May 12 (Japan Standard Time), as we found it was impossible to recover communication with the satellite," JAXA officials said in a statement.

The death of Daichi (which means "Earth" in Japanese) is not a complete failure, JAXA officials said. The satellite craft launched in January 2006 with a planned mission lifetime of three years, and had already outlasted expectations, they added.

I think the Japanese should stop using Daichi, as that name seems to bring them trouble as of late.

Well we have a mysterious anomaly, nothing screams ATS like those two words.

I know obviously it was past it's prime but to just power down without no explanations is a little strange. Maybe it's not powered down, maybe the aliens took it over and are now in our internet.

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Aliens took it to laugh at how technologically un-advanced we are!!

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187

I think the Japanese should stop using Daichi, as that name seems to bring them trouble as of late.

pretty sure daichi translates to great one or so.

its kinda odd beings that japans known to have the best electronic components on the market. how long before we get people blaming stuxnet

edit:

i see the article says daichi means earth... guess i was off
edit on 31-5-2011 by gougitousakusha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Advanced Land Observing Satellite? Seems to me that they were looking at something someone didn't want them to see...

I've heard plenty of stories of UFOs that seem to shut down equipment, be it ones like cars or missile silos, but I'm not saying this was caused by ETs. This "anomaly" is dangerous anyway, and it may be the beginnings of weaponizing space and/or alien invasion false flags.

edit on 31/5/11 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

although the satalite was near the end of its life,
i have been waiting for a spate of "mysterious" satalite failures
do you know of any other satalites that have recently gone offline in the past 12-18 months?
i am looking for a pattern ?
any help would be appreciated
thanks op

xploder

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by gougitousakusha

yea the 3 year warranty must have been up

...maybe I missed it did they say what happens to these satellites after they are no longer functional, do they just let them float out there until they get pulled back to just fall out of the sky?

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
maybe its able to see haarp rings like warm donuts on the ground, since im sure it can see the ground in all spectrums and the Japanese started to figure out... it warms the upper levels and the ground leaves evidence

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by all answers exist

yea the 3 year warranty must have been up

...maybe I missed it did they say what happens to these satellites after they are no longer functional, do they just let them float out there until they get pulled back to just fall out of the sky?

As far as I am aware it just floats around forever unless ordered to do otherwise, which in this case, was not possible.

The obvious explanation is that this satellite was the birth place of Obama and needed to be silenced as it contains his original birth certificate signed by the reptillian overlord.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I think Daichi means something like "first one" or "number one"
As in Daichi (one), Daini (two)
Ichi->1
Ni->2
San->3
Shi->4
And so on...
But i could be mistaken...

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by arriana

As far as I am aware it just floats around forever unless ordered to do otherwise, which in this case, was not possible.

That really depends on a lot of specifics and variables, mass of the sat, what the exact orbit is all that clever stuff you have to study a lifetime to understand.

For instance the international space station needs to get boosted up higher periodontally because it's in a decaying orbit and if it dips too low it would catch drag in the atmosphere and crash to Earth soon after (that's it's retirement plan lol).... Some sats are in a very stable orbit and when they die they will remain in orbit maybe for hundreds of years.... These are of a concern of course, zombie sats I think they call them, they can hit other things and cause chaotic new orbits and smaller chunks whizzing around up there much faster than a bullet - not ideal if your in a space suit

All this junk is getting serious attention now a days, they are planning sats with devices to burn them up in the atmosphere to get rid of them at the end of their life. - No idea about this particular sat, but if you cannot communicate with it how would you trigger a self destruct path into the atmosphere in the first place?

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Why is 'Mysterious anomaly' always aliens???????

Hey, how about........it is actually a BLACK HOLE near our sun?? Sending out protons that kill satellites and is heating up our atmosphere via multi Electromagnetic waves????

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Mysterious anomaly equals electronics gone bad

That's all

No aliens to see here people

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by AriesJedi
Why is 'Mysterious anomaly' always aliens???????

Hey, how about........it is actually a BLACK HOLE near our sun?? Sending out protons that kill satellites and is heating up our atmosphere via multi Electromagnetic waves????

The aliens things was sarcastic. I never really meant it, as I was just joking around. As I said it was a mysterious anomaly and ATS loves those.

Pred...

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by arriana

There's a new rule effective in 2002:

en.wikipedia.org...

End of life

When satellites reach the end of their mission, satellite operators have the option of de-orbiting the satellite, leaving the satellite in its current orbit or moving the satellite to a graveyard orbit. Historically, due to budgetary constraints at the beginning of satellite missions, satellites were rarely designed to be de-orbited. One example of this practice is the satellite Vanguard 1. Launched in 1958, Vanguard 1, the 4th manmade satellite put in Geocentric orbit, was still in orbit as of August 2009.

Instead of being de-orbited, most satellites are either left in their current orbit or moved to a graveyard orbit. As of 2002, the FCC now requires all geostationary satellites to commit to moving to a graveyard orbit at the end of their operational life prior to launch.
That's interesting the Vanguard satellite from 1958 is still floating around up there. I guess the geocentric orbit is the biggest potential problem because geocentric orbits happen only in a narrow range of altitudes so it could get crowded if the dead satellites aren't put into a graveyard orbit.

The lower orbiting satellites that are not geocentric should have faster decaying orbits, and in fact the ISS would fall out of the sky if they didn't keep sending it millions of dollars worth of fuel to keep its orbit from decaying. NASA has a rule about those too:

mstl.atl.calpoly.edu... p5

NASA‐STD‐8719.14:
Spacecraft in Earth orbit must re‐enter
•25 years after end of mission (or)
•30 years after launch

Of course NASA and FCC rules don't apply to Japan and other countries, and I don't know what their policies are. It seems like we need international cooperation to keep space from getting too cluttered with debris.

If the Japanese satellite survived its mission life, it can be called a success, right? They aren't designed to last forever.
edit on 1-6-2011 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
The thing was launched in January 2006. It's main mission was over. Did your Walkman last that long?

Where's the conspiracy?

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

thanks for finding that

...yea that is what I took it as, as well, it was a success + a few years

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by samkent

My parents bought me a Walkman 13 years ago and it still works just fine
(well of course I had to replace the batteries every now and then)

They did say "a mysterious anomaly crippled the spacecraft." Im sure the satellite would have showed noticeable signs of problems before completely breaking down.
edit on 2-6-2011 by balon0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein

Aliens took it to laugh at how technologically un-advanced we are!!

i know that was intended as a joke, but who is to say that you with your unique perspective and ability to create, have not created technologies that could astound them, Space flight may have been simple for them, creating the wheel may not have for example. Just a thought for you.

new topics

top topics

join