It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama cracks down on abuses by big-city police departments

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

President Obama's Justice Department is aggressively investigating several big urban police departments for systematic civil rights abuses such as harassment of racial minorities, false arrests, and excessive use of force.

In just the past few months, the Civil Rights Division has announced "pattern and practice" investigations in Newark, New Jersey and Seattle. It's also conducting a preliminary investigation of the Denver Police Department, and all this is on top of a high-profile push to reform the notorious New Orleans Police Department -- as well as criminal prosecutions of several New Orleans officers.

www.salon.com...

Sure... I can be cynical and say "election time is on the horizon" but I'd rather shed spotlight on this being good news.

Hopefully this becomes bigger and people's expectations gets stronger.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
What really matters to me is the results from this. It's one thing to investigate because alot of that has been done, what I want is real reform on this and nothing less will do.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Article should read "Obama pretends to crack down..."
Isn't that what he does? Pretend to do important things for p.r.?
I'm getting sick of his lip service.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by illuminatitanimulli

We're still waiting for him to close Guantanamo and end the war in Afghanistan - oh no, he authorised the keeping open of Guantanamo and sent more troops to Afghanistan. The sad thing is he knows many people will buy more of his BS lies.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Hasn't he had over 2 years to do this?

I find it hilarious that he's doing this directly after they made it legal for a cop to bust down your door if he hears you flushing the toilet (destroying evidence), or "it's illegal to defend yourself against illegal entry by police officers". (that was a specific state, but still)

It's something though. Maybe the crazy stories of police brutality will cease for a bit.

They need to investigate that veteran, and the swat team that fired 71 rounds, for sure.
edit on 31-5-2011 by jessejamesxx because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

Yeah, I guess this means he's looking to promote overzealous and corrupt police officers.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Can we please not inject partisan politics into this, and just be glad that FINALLY someone is doing something about our corrupt police departments?

Hopefully this will move down to the smaller cities and townships as well. There are corrupt police officers in every precinct in this country.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

No, he means it. As President I am very happy to see him address this regardless of partisan BS.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Inwas reading something from FAMMS (families against mandatory minimum sentences) today about how there are a few senators/representatives toying with ideas to save money with massive reforms to the system from cops to judges to prisons.

Could be that corrupt cop practices are simply to expensive to persist. It can't be cheap going out of your way to make crime where there is none and use up resources on nonsense. Not to mention the settlements paid out when they get caught.

Is it possible that tyranny is simply too expensive to maintain and the United States is so broke it couldnt maintain the police state even if it wanted to?

I hope so.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd

Can we please not inject partisan politics into this, and just be glad that FINALLY someone is doing something about our corrupt police departments?

Hopefully this will move down to the smaller cities and townships as well. There are corrupt police officers in every precinct in this country.

This has nothing to do with partisan b.s..
Aside from making excuses for an oil grab in Lybia and killing Osama (wait, he pretended to call the shots on that too), lip service is all I've seen from this clown. And you still believe in him? Don't be so naive.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd

Because it only applies to Minorities.
Corrupt police for everyone else
is still A-OK

David Grouchy

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Inwas reading something from FAMMS (families against mandatory minimum sentences) today about how there are a few senators/representatives toying with ideas to save money with massive reforms to the system from cops to judges to prisons.

Could be that corrupt cop practices are simply to expensive to persist. It can't be cheap going out of your way to make crime where there is none and use up resources on nonsense. Not to mention the settlements paid out when they get caught.

Is it possible that tyranny is simply too expensive to maintain and the United States is so broke it couldnt maintain the police state even if it wanted to?

I hope so.

You raise a good point. Maybe this is a way of the white house telling them to not be so open about about their corruption. Keep it a bit more underground. Because IMHO that's all that this "investigation" will amount to.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Yeah, I guess this means he's looking to promote overzealous and corrupt police officers.

ROFL, You hit the nail on the head. They all know that the real language is double-speak, so he's just given the corrupt police officers the thumbs up!

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

I hope so.

You raise a good point. Maybe this is a way of the white house telling them to not be so open about about their corruption. Keep it a bit more underground. Because IMHO that's all that this "investigation" will amount to.

You know, I think you've hit the nail on the head again. This might well be the case - the message being something like 'be a bit less obviouls about it because the public is making a noise about this now. My token statement will take the heat out of that, and you guys continue doing a great job - just make it a bit less obvious. And crack down on those phone cameras, for goodness sake.'
edit on 31-5-2011 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by wcitizen

ROFL, You hit the nail on the head. They all know that the real language is double-speak, so he's just given the corrupt police officers the thumbs up!

Ha, yeah, he's giving them a cookie moving them into the basement. "Eat this and stop making a rukkus, your drawing too much attention."

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Well surprise surprise. ATS has been full of tales of police abuses and calls for somebody to do something. Along comes Obama (who you know might actually be listening DUH) and announces an investigation and what do the ATS conspiracy wolves do : COMPLAIN! Freaking hell. Complain AFTER the investigation comes to nothing if that is what happens.

Honestly is your hatred for Obama that intense?!?!?!?!?

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by malcr
Well surprise surprise. ATS has been full of tales of police abuses and calls for somebody to do something. Along comes Obama (who you know might actually be listening DUH) and announces an investigation and what do the ATS conspiracy wolves do : COMPLAIN! Freaking hell. Complain AFTER the investigation comes to nothing if that is what happens.

Honestly is your hatred for Obama that intense?!?!?!?!?

Just going by his track record here buddy. I personally find this humorous. Obumr has a history of saying something and doing something else. He ain't worth my hate. He'd actually have to accomplish something for that. Not just talk about it. Besides, I can't hate that which I do not know. Oh yeah, he's Irish, and I like Irish people.
If he puts a dent in police brutality and corruption, I'll be the first to admit I was wrong. On that one issue alone.

edit on 31-5-2011 by illuminatitanimulli because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Actually OP, I do take issue with the title of the thread. The article says he is investigating - an investigation doesn't constitute a crack-down. I think it's misleading.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Obama is having the Federal Government intrude because it hasn't been handled by the governors of the states where it's been happening. Maybe if the states would have stepped in and investigated, the Justice Department could've stayed out of state business. It's a dual-edged sword. I'm glad he's stepping in, I guess.

/TOA

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
The only thing Obama can do is look into civil rights abuses. The real corruption, like what happened to Guerena in Pima County, is a state level matter.

I have a corrupt PD in my small town. You never see the Texas Rangers investigating anything And when the FBI or DEA works in concert with the local PD, nothing changes. Leads me to believe they are all corrupt.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join