It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cyber Combat: Act of War Pentagon Sets Stage for U.S. to Respond to Computer Sabotage With Military

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Cyber Combat: Act of War Pentagon Sets Stage for U.S. to Respond to Computer Sabotage With Military Force

online.wsj.com

The Pentagon's first formal cyber strategy, unclassified portions of which are expected to become public next month, represents an early attempt to grapple with a changing world in which a hacker could pose as significant a threat to U.S. nuclear reactors, subways or pipelines as a hostile country's military.

In part, the Pentagon intends its plan as a warning to potential adversaries of the consequences of attacking the U.S. in this way. "If you shut down our power grid, maybe we will put a missile down one of your smokestacks," said a military official.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Ha, saw this coming a mile away. The US will let everyone know, "You mess with our computers, you get a bullet," then i'm sure of it, a giant computer, power grid, missile silo, or anything, will be "attacked," the false flag of the 21st century. Should get interesting pretty soon.

Another thing i want to point out is the stupidity on the Pentagons part if this were legit and not some part of an upcoming false flag. Cyber attacks could come from anywhere. As we have seen with Anonymous already, anyone can say they are Anon. Even if they have nothing to do with the mainstream "Anon" They can claim to be and make false statements.

Example, lets say some 12 year old super genius hacker hacks the Pentagon and claims, Oh i'm Canada, then the sparks will fly because of the work of some little kid in his moms basement.

online.wsj.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Ha, so i just found this article from yesterday....

www.bbc.co.uk...

US defence firm Lockheed Martin says it has come under a significant cyber-attack, which took place last week.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by zookey

WarGames

"Shall We Play A Game?"

"lets play Global Thermal Nuclear War"

"fine
"

"Alright!"

classic
edit on 5/31/2011 by spoonbender because: no sex in the city?

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Yeah...This could get very interesting. Right To Privacy is already a joke here in the U.S.
We have none and know it.
This will probably escalate into even more restrictions,although I can't imagine what's left short of implanting us with RFID Chips to follow us.

Poor Gary the Cyber hacker sits and waits his destiny...just kinda hanging out:
www.guardian.co.uk...

Remember..as long as you don't THINK like a criminal you'll be fine.

Oh WAIT!!! Profiling on Brain Waves.. NO.. Don't even THINK like a criminal and you'll be safe..
THAT'S what I meant.

www.theblaze.com... ge-events-passes-first-round-of-testing/
Malintent Profiling get's the nod.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
How can you beat e-false flags?

Too many questioning the Fort Hood Shootings
too many questioning 911

Who would question cyber attacks? There's no physical video to watch, no witenesses nothing

This is for Iran, they are itching to attack and destroy Iran

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I agree with you, that was my first thought, Iran or China, but China would not be a wise target for the US to attack, i believe China will become the next superpower, but if either US or China would make a move on each other it would crush both economies.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by spoonbender

Interesting game.

The only way to win is not to play,

This does reek of a false flag event. It's too easy to set up a scapegoat.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I think he's being a bit melodramatic but....

Cyber attacks are the wave of the future. It's a threat to national security sectors which they do have a right to defend against. Just like everybody reading this has a right to defend their privacy. However, IMO they had better be damned sure who is at fault before they start launching missiles and dropping bombs etc.

Here is the latest development in a story that's been going on for a few weeks...
Lockheed Martin Suffers Massive Cyberattack

A major online attack was launched earlier this month against the networks of Lockheed Martin, the country's largest defense contractor.

On Saturday, Lockheed Martin released a statement confirming the attack, which it described as "significant and tenacious." But it said its information security team "detected the attack almost immediately and took aggressive actions to protect all systems and data."

As a result, the company said, "our systems remain secure; no customer, program, or employee personal data has been compromised."

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
World War III will be fought over the internet..

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
It's an extremely interesting read, I S&F'ed it for that.

However, this will amount to nothing until conspiring governments can agree upon what it is that substantiates where the attack came from.

Even the most rudimentary neophyte understands that they can launch an attack through multiple proxies if they desired. As well as so many unaudited ways to launch attacks that it would come into question. Think arrays of cell phones (prepaid) with web capability....tether with them, and you've got a recipe for international incident unnecessarily.

Ultimately though, if the population (at least here in the US specifically) keeps themselves uninformed of exactly how ethernet operates and thinks the "web" is some magical communication that is just too "beyond them", if they support by and large such an irresponsible use of force through such indeterminate dynamics it WILL happen, whether we (us here on ATS) the informed want it or not.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seiko
reply to post by spoonbender

Interesting game.

The only way to win is not to play,

This does reek of a false flag event. It's too easy to set up a scapegoat.

That's what I am thinking. They are going to setup a convenient scapegoat and engineer "evidence" to get everyone behind another energy war. Like say a war on Iran. Makes too much sense right now.

You have to stop enabling these control addicts. They are expecting violence to legitimize a marshal law police state. This is a elaborate chess match.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by alphabetaone
It's an extremely interesting read, I S&F'ed it for that.

However, this will amount to nothing until conspiring governments can agree upon what it is that substantiates where the attack came from.

Even the most rudimentary neophyte understands that they can launch an attack through multiple proxies if they desired. As well as so many unaudited ways to launch attacks that it would come into question. Think arrays of cell phones (prepaid) with web capability....tether with them, and you've got a recipe for international incident unnecessarily.

Ultimately though, if the population (at least here in the US specifically) keeps themselves uninformed of exactly how ethernet operates and thinks the "web" is some magical communication that is just too "beyond them", if they support by and large such an irresponsible use of force through such indeterminate dynamics it WILL happen, whether we (us here on ATS) the informed want it or not.

Who need to know "how" a fake attack is done if a convenient patsy will take the blame anyway? The public will do no research and they will lock down the internet and restrict it to the point of being damn near useless(for personal use outside of business).

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by John_Rodger_Cornman

Who need to know "how" a fake attack is done if a convenient patsy will take the blame anyway? The public will do no research and they will lock down the internet and restrict it to the point of being damn near useless(for personal use outside of business).

I didn't say how, I said "where".....

Here's the scenario:

Chinese nationalists with deep pockets come to the US as an example, and buy up prepaid cell phones like crazy.

These same Chinese nationalists with the deep pockets and no name tether their prepaid web services (with no contract and no names) to cheap PC's that THEY built ....

These tethered, cost free machines launch an attack on US infrastructure.

In the above scenario who will be attacked? Where did it come from? It came from within the US.

So the where and the issue of positively obtaining that where, is paramount. Until that can be resolved, it will go nowhere.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I think our own government is launching these attacks just to see if our equipment is capable of surviving an attack. Our area has been hit twice in the past couple weeks. Happened again this morning. I finally told tech support when I called that if I ever find out who's responsible... they're gonna be one sorry little SOB.

Start watching the obits.

edit on 31-5-2011 by hederahelix because: (no reason given)

Update:

Hmmmm... looks like the attack originated out of Turkey. Anybody else having problems with ABC's cable feed???
edit on 31-5-2011 by hederahelix because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by doom27

It is safe to say that you take a rather simplistic view on how such a system would operate in terms of detection and response.

However, no more simplistic than the "official" comment that if you hack our systems, you'll get a cruise missile up your exit area.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
How can you beat e-false flags?

Too many questioning the Fort Hood Shootings
too many questioning 911

Who would question cyber attacks? There's no physical video to watch, no witenesses nothing

This is for Iran, they are itching to attack and destroy Iran

Why Detrsoy Iran?

Wouldn't they rather topple the government and place a puppet government instead?
edit on 31-5-2011 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Starred for this.

You're right, that sometimes around the ATS community (as well as other conspiracy centric sites), people have their conspiracy theory thinking caps locked on so tightly that they forget about the path of least resistance, which sometimes makes more sense

Good point.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
The countries I heard the most about in terms of cyber attacks on the US, were China and Russia. They were alledgedly caught hacking our power grid years ago, and then Google a while back.

What I found interesting in this article specifically, this small portion of speech.

"If you shut down our power grid, maybe we will put a missile down one of your smokestacks," said a military official.

Note the deliberate mention of "power grid" ...and of course as some of you mentioned, the recent hacking over at Lockheed, which is one of our major military contractors.

Wonder what this conclusion says and does to the script kiddies who have been active lately.. furthermore, if cyber attacks can be both foreign and domestic, does this make those initiating acts of cyber warfare, cyber terrorists?

edit on 1-6-2011 by Nephalim because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join