It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Titanic – An In-Depth Look

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by DJKris

usually only so much of a boat is built *on land* then they launch it into the sea and finish completing it, i belive the ship was also transfered elswere before its maiden voyage ( when it actually started taking passengers)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
I don't know how the Olympic switch theory could be? The Olympic was in service until 1935.
Wiki - White Star Line - Olympic

The Olympic from aboard the LV-117 on the Nantucket station in early January 1934
*** LV-117 was sunk the following year when the Olympic collided with her, killing 10 of the 11 crew.
edit on 3-6-2011 by DGenR8 because: Added info

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Just found this interesting photo of the Titanic in white, thought others may like to see it

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Great Thread ..
I was young also when this was out .. looking back to those years is kind of a blast of the past ..

King Kong movie ...scared the wits out of me..
Mickey Mouse Club ...watched it everday after school
Ameican Bandstand ..watched it everyday after school
Lassie ....watched it everyday after school

an Some aweful Monster Moives and Old Frankinstien Movies

Then Came The Titanic ..

only it was the real deal...!!!!

I don't think it was staged in anyway, it seem's more like a lack of duty by crewmen .. just like these air pilots that are sleeping on the job.. accidents due to mis calculations,,

Wasn't this something that one of the steermen had problems with concerning the Titanic??? .. I thought in the moive someone was sleeping or not paying attentiion if I can remember right it had something to do with someting like this didnt it??

I think it could of been avoided .. and more people may have lived if they had had a better life boat and survival system in place ..
I dont believe there was any conspriracy to this ..But ..whats up with all these trolls trying to attack posts lately ??
Dont the Mods actually see how this rips apart a good thread ?? and it turns people off or into arguing and fighting every time ..

Great Job on all the information.. S&F
edit on 4-6-2011 by NorthStargal52 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
A theory that I can't find a link for is that ice bergs are seasonal. That there shouldn't of been any in the shipping lanes at that time of year. but due to a large meterological change that happens once in a while, they moved in early. Though I haven't been able to find info on this. Simply put, it wasn't iceberg season so they weren't looking.

From what I've read it had been a warmer than usual winter, so there were more 'bergs and growlers floating south that Spring.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by squirelnutz

I think the two most interesting points are that the insurance was up to $ 12.5m a few days before the sailing .where the ship only cost 10m to build and white star normally insure there ships for 70% of the build cost.

2, is that the ship "California " was send out from port 2 days before the titanic left with only a cargo of woollen jumpers and no passengers and during a coal shortage and then stopped in the middle of the ice bergs for the night ( which is unheard of in these times, standard practise is to go full steam ahead throu a ice pack) the same night the titanic was due.

basically the coal fire in coal hold 5 was meant to be the sinking of the Titanic and the california was meant to rescue everyone. due to a late coarse change by the titanic it ended up 19-20miles away from the california instead of the planned 8-10 miles where the California would be able to see the flares/rockets and sail over and rescue everyone,that is also possible why the life boats where aloud to be sent off half empty, because the plan was that everyone would be rescued within a few hours and letting the titanic sink then white star are able to claim the full amount from the insurance company which they did. 12.5m in the whose days was a lot and still is.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I realize this thread is fairly old. But since it's alive again, I will go ahead and chime in.

Two of the conspiracy theories on Page 1 can be fully discounted. They would be:

1. Switching the Olympic with the Titanic.

2. The Mummy Curse.

You can discount the first theory simply by looking at Deck B on the wreckage of the Titanic. You will see that the promenade deck has been fully enclosed with steel with a somewhat different floor plan. Whereas the Olympic's promenade deck on Deck B was open and never changed throughout her career.

To switch the two, they would have to spend more money to modify the Olympic's B Deck so she could pose as the Titanic, only to scuttle her. Makes no sense.

The Mummy Curse story can be fully discounted because it is simply not true. In fact, Snopes did a piece on it. Right here:

www.snopes.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ronishia

Why do you have to try to mystify accidents that are well explained for ages? Who on earth would have ANY advantages from the titanic sinking outside of competing shipping companies?

Nobody. Not a single soul.

The circumstance of the accident are very well known and explained.

I think we can all go a little too far with our hunt for mysteries....

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 05:32 AM
link   
In a recent documentary that i've watched it said the weather conditions at the time were strange (they went into detail about this but can't remember word for word), resulting in a mirage. The mirage made the iceberg look like the calm ocean horizon so the Watchers that night couldn't see it was an iceberg until it was closer & unfortunately too late.

In regards to the amount of people being saved, the number of lifeboats & how the passengers were taken into the boats had a massive part in it. We all know there wasn't enough life boats for everyone aboard the RMS Titanic, yet when they were taking people into the boats, they didn't fill them up. That's why in the end they could afford to go back & see if there's any more survivors to rescue.

I've read/studied the Titanic story so much for years now. Re-reading the same things over & over. I'm just completely fascinated by it (The actual Titanic story, not the romance movie. Although i love that too hehe).

Sadly the ship is slowly getting eaten away by bacteria down there deep in the abyss
It's amazing how its been down there for 101 years now!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join