It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATTN: One Man Dead and Three Cops Injured in Miami Shootout (updated)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Here is the video below with a link from Miami Online aswell. There has been such an increase in Police violence it's ridiculous ...

Are cops becoming more aggressive, the citizens, or both ?

I think all acts of police violence should be flagged, not to make cops seem bad or curropt, but so we may all know exactly how much is taking place. We pay for the bullets through taxes, we should know how they are being used.

www.dailymail.co.uk...[editby ]edit on 30-5-2011 by WordPlayJAy because: (no reason given)

Update (posted per request of OP)

www.cnn.com...

" MIAMI, Fla. - An eyewitness to a fatal police shooting in Miami Beach last week claims police officers attempted to confiscate the video he filmed of the incident, and even crushed his phone underfoot in an attempt to destroy the recording.

Narces Benoit says he just happened to be in the area driving with his girlfriend when police fatally shot an erratic driver early Memorial Day morning. He said after the disturbance started, he pulled over his truck, and started recording with his cell phone camera capturing the shooting.

"When he noticed me recording, one of the officers jumped in the truck, put a pistol to my head," he said. "My phone was smashed - he stepped on it, handcuffed me."
(click link for more)

We are legally allowed to film police officers, what do they have to fear if they are following procedure ? Our rights are being stripped daily, police violence is on the rise and we sit in silence unless new sources tell us the police are corrupt first. We must at least talk about it and discuss these acts of violence, just or not. before that right is taken from us aswell.

edit on June 7th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
wow thats alot of gunshots near the end...

I was trying to follow what the guy was saying... Who was doing the shooting in the first place, that motorcycle, or the car which is stopped on the right side of camera?

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
From what I have read on other sites, many of these guys were running around shooting. Sometimes from their cars.

If that's the case, the cops were doing their jobs and it's sad that they got injured trying to do their job.

So far this does not look like a case of over-excessive use of force.
D ailyMail

edit on 30-5-2011 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Uh, a black mercedes races down the street, hitting other cars and the cops surround it and get in a gunfight and kill the drive and that's police brutality?

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by morder1

from my knowledge it looks as if the car that is stationary through a majority of the clip, is the one that was doing the shooting. I believe a cop shot back and injured the driver.

For what ever reason when the police approached the car they let the hammers slam big time. what was that like a hundred shots fired ?

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

reply to post by MJZoo

I not once claimed it was over excessive or police brutality, simply asking the question. Cops aren't supposed to KILL, they are supposed to enforce PEACE at the best of their ability. However, I do believe that killing the shooters was necessary in THIS instance.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by WordPlayJAy

You call it "Police violence"

The police are REACTING to the violence. It's their job. What should they do? Throw cupcakes at them?

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MJZoo

Violence - behavior involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something.

I believe in this case it is just, but it is still Violence. We should know when cops do this type of #... it's not the same as writing a speeding ticket.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Police are forced to be more aggressive with the increase of violent criminals. If police just lay down and remain "peaceful", criminals will reign. Just watch this documentary and see what police must deal with in Philadelphia with all the gang violence:

edit on 5/30/2011 by HarmonicNights because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   

I don't get what you're mad about? Did you want them to call you and tell you what happened? Not everything makes the news. This stuff happens every day in every state.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by WordPlayJAy
reply to post by sheepslayer247

reply to post by MJZoo

I not once claimed it was over excessive or police brutality, simply asking the question. Cops aren't supposed to KILL, they are supposed to enforce PEACE at the best of their ability. However, I do believe that killing the shooters was necessary in THIS instance.

I didn't claim that you did say that!

I was making my own statement.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
*SNIP*

Updated with new info in the OP.
edit on June 7th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Noriega said the driver sped off and officers on bicycles had to jump out of the way as the car headed south, running over their bikes, driving on the sidewalk and striking “countless” vehicles for about three blocks. Unconfirmed witness reports say the driver was shooting out of his car as police gave chase, though Noriega said police did not find a gun.

“This is all preliminary information we’re trying to verify,” the chief said, adding that police are investigating some reports that passengers ran from the car before officers opened fire. A YouTube video filmed from several stories above Collins Avenue shows the car driving south and then skidding to a stop as gunshots grow from distant firecracker-like pops to four echoing booms. Pedestrians fled, or hid and then took off running, as officers approached the driver’s side of the car in a semi-circle with guns drawn. About one minute after the car stopped, the video shows, pre-dawn darkness is lit by muzzle flashes and the air peppered with the sounds of rapid gun shots. No one can be seen leaving the car.

Source

Sounds like a lot of they just don't know going on here. I saw both videos and this guy was driving recklessly but the question I pose is...Is reckless driving something that should be met with lethal force? If so when? By nature reckless driving poses a risk to others. So should all reckless drivers be shot at? How far are we gonna take this where is the line? Since no gun was found and the car stopped I will speculate (since I wasn't there that is all any of us can do) the first volley of shots were from officers as well. At no time in the video I saw did anyone exit the vehicle and how would they (without being seen) there was admittedly over 100 officers on scene. I would also say why then would the officers be worried about destroying evidence at gun point if they were in the right. Wouldn't they want to preserve that evidence to clear themselves of any wrong doing? To me it's pretty slam dunk but whether or not the ballistics from all the rounds fired will undergo an independent investigation without already being tampered with is yet to be seen...

ETA: where in any of the video was this car anywhere near a sidewalk?
edit on 7-6-2011 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by MJZoo

LOL... cupcakes. I made the same call on another thread. From the info presented and from what I saw in the video, the police used the right amount of force. As far as shots fired, the officer isn't going to fire once or twice and run up to the car to see if that was enough or not. They are gonna fire til the situation is neutralized. Some people don't get that just cause there was a 100 shots fired, doesn't mean every cop fired a 100 rounds. There was like ten cops on scene from what I saw.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
In none of the videos do you see the car driving recklessly, even so is that enough to merit death ? This is why the case is so suspicious ...

1) All the "witnesses" of the car shooter are no where to be found, yet many people have come forward into the aggressiveness of the police officers and their shooting

2) The officers smashed cell phones of witnesses that filmed the shooting, hoping to destroy evidence

3) the supposed shooters gun was never found

why would the cops destroy evidence of them shooting someone justly ?

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Part of the problem is that we can no longer accept the police story at face value and it pisses me off that the local press does just repeat the official story insteand of conducting journalism. Once examined, I'd bet the VAST majority of police statements about the incident contain willful fabrication to make them seem more righteous in their actions.

Apologists may blast me, but cops bring this suscipicion on themselves and the shear fact they support laws to prevent the public from recording their actions reveals with 100% certainty cops know their actions are questionable at best.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

what would work to fix it though? ...

It seems the aggressiveness of our foreign policies is pouring into our communities as well. By being dehumanized due to the constant slaughtering of people abroad, police at home care less about human life and feel entitled to "flex" their muscle as well.

The two seem connected, yet, im unsure as to what degree.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by MJZoo

I don't get what you're mad about? Did you want them to call you and tell you what happened? Not everything makes the news. This stuff happens every day in every state.

If what the cops did was on the up and up, then why point guns at bystanders, confiscate their phones and destroy them? Should we eliminate laws against destroying evidence? What about laws against pointing guns at innocent bystanders? And it took them two days to find a gun, I've read. How can it have taken them two days? I have nothing for the gangs, that's for sure, but this looks as dirty as can be. The cops acted like a gang.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by wardk28From the info presented and from what I saw in the video, the police used the right amount of force. As far as shots fired, the officer isn't going to fire once or twice and run up to the car to see if that was enough or not. They are gonna fire til the situation is neutralized. Some people don't get that just cause there was a 100 shots fired, doesn't mean every cop fired a 100 rounds. There was like ten cops on scene from what I saw.

I thought police were supposed to arrest people, with killing them in a hail of bullets a last resort. I thought SWAT was supposed to deal with this kind of thing, but they were probably out giving out misdemeaner warrants.

new topics

top topics

active topics

join