It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Linux Conspiracy! lol

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
So... I use Linux on all my machines (Ubuntu, but I modify the crap out of it so it doesn't really count as Ubuntu anymore...) Anyway, I tend to keep up on at least some of the ins and outs of things like software companies that support Linux and Linux users' demand for various programs and platforms.

It struck me the other day when I was (for the zillionth time) following up on the (non-existent) support for Linux from Netflix for their instant streaming service. Every single post on the Netflix site having to do with new features or expanded support for this or that device is spammed with people demanding Linux support.

Usually, companies will say there's "just no demand" for Linux ports of their products, but I find that to be complete bunk. Netflix, Intuit (Quickbooks, etc), Adobe, and others must be very aware that there is indeed a large Linux user base, and that they are indeed willing to pay for proprietary software. The idea that there's no money in porting your programs to Linux is just nonsense. I like a good FOSS program as much as the next guy, but if there's a better option available for a price, I'll pay it if I need it.

So what gives? Is there a concerted effort to make it look like "nobody uses Linux?"

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Well for workstations, MS has the market cornered.

For server OS's, linux / unix OS's win hands down.

The server market is the more lucrative market.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Maybe MS doesn't have the market as cornered as everybody lets on, though. I mean, I'm not saying that Linux is anywhere near even 10%, but I find it hard to believe it's really only 1% or less as some "studies" report.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

obviously for security reasons. I tend to think the percent of linux users is also very low.. creating a scenario like "why bother" ... but in turn it seams to be waking up and linux is getting out there now. Especially after how these companies seen how pissed the PSN users were

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Libran1

It's only a matter of time before people are awakened to Linux. It's old hat for most of us (no pun intended), but I still use both OS's, and usually virtualize one or the other.

For strictly workstation, a dual boot set up is the ideal scenario, or embeded virtualized setup with vmware or oracle virtualbox even.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Thing is this.

You won't get a single penny out of someone living an "open source" philosophy.

So why invest money to make a Linux fork.

Do a

yum/aptitude install virtualbox
and set up a W32 box .. geeez

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by H1ght3chHippie

Really, I must be a really bad Linux user then, because I've already purchased 3 different programs this year.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Libran1

But yet Mac OSX is often supported?
Browser stats shows that osx only has a slightly bigger userbase, but yet that platform is often supported while linux is completely ignored.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by H1ght3chHippie
Thing is this.

You won't get a single penny out of someone living an "open source" philosophy.

So why invest money to make a Linux fork.

Do a

yum/aptitude install virtualbox
and set up a W32 box .. geeez

But yet there was a indie game experiment where you could pay what you wanted for a boxset of games and this showed that linux users was the ones who choose to paid most.

As a linux user i would happily pay for commercial games for linux.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Linux is growing, though use on the Desktop is still in single percentage digits. Once it grows (and *if*), you will see companies release more products for Linux.

Look at Flash and how long it took them...

So no, there is no conspiracy. When the companies calculate that they can make money, that's when they'll develop commercial software for it (Photoshop et al).

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
There are a gazillion options out there and so it's no wonder that not everything will be compatible, why stress over it since there are a gazillion ways to get around the compatibility issue, as well... Personally, I do keep Win. on a dual boot with Linux and though I hardly ever use it, there have been times when I have needed it. Do keep in mind that though Linux is still (and may always be...) a small portion of the overall personal/home user-base, the philosophy of and contributions to the open-source community is growing every year, even Micro$ has had to make concessions and that (ultimately) will be better for everyone in the long run, IMHO.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I have kept up with Linux.
and now it is very good.
I use Ubuntu 10.10.
Linux is catching up windows.
I can not remember where I read it.
Linux can use a Lot of window soft wear.
you use Wine and othere programs.
and as its all Free. windows is doomed.
So Microsoft will start useing dirty tricks.
I think they are starting to (help!) linux.
it is a lot harder for THEN to tap in to Linux.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by vexati0n

So what gives? Is there a concerted effort to make it look like "nobody uses Linux?"

Yes, and Microsoft would just love it if Linux would just go away, or sell out to them, as they have tried to buy several thousand time, between the time M$ was engaged in lawsuits against Linux. I cannot trust any, ANY software that is closed source, and a crime to hack into it. You have Windows on your PC, but you do not own the OS, or the M$ programs that come with it.

My dear sweet wife a few months ago bought a new Toshiba Satellite Laptop computer. Windows 7 Ultimate on the drive. I thought M$ was supposed to bundle other web browsers with it, but no, crappy old IE as usual, and after a few updates that became IE 9. Now I thought IE 6 was a memory hog, this thing uses 1/3 of the available RAM to run, and it crashes often. Then the whole OS crashed today. she was in Facebook, chatting with friends, and suddenly the PC crashed into a total blue screen. I managed to recover it, but a check of the System showed massive RAM use. So, I downgraded it to Vista Ultimate. Memory problems are gone, and now my tools work again. She has PC Linux on the drive too, but I cannot seem to get the WIFI working right, she has to plug in to run that. I have had more that one customer bring me a Windows 7 computer and want XP back on it. Around here there are still a lot of dial up people, and Windows 7 cannot do dial up. On own my custom build machine, Windows will never reside.

join