It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Believe?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
In our quest for a great social equalizer, a force bearing a power greater than all the armies of Earthly tyrants combined, some kind of cosmic Truth that is ready and willing, eventually, to enforce the ideal that all people are equal, it is sad that we have come to a time in our history when some believe we must rely on the fanciful notion of extraterrestrial gods. It is tantamount to declaring the absence of any force on Earth strong enough to overcome the evils of our own civilization.

It is sad, not only because those who rely on Aliens to purge our world of its evils have given up on the hope of purging those evils ourselves, but because they have given up on the responsibility of doing so. No longer should it be asked of each one of us to make the right decisions. We have effectively relieved ourselves of that duty. "No," they seem to say, "Let us instead wallow in our mediocrity, in our cruelness to others, in the shameful injustice committed on our planet, because surely some benevolent power will fall from the sky and rid our society of this evil for us."

Those who look to the sky for salvation now, as always, turn their blind eyes toward the reality that needs no shaky videos on YouTube to convince anyone of its existence: the reality that it would take only a little effort and only a little pain to rise up and take our world for the forces of compassion and justice; to snatch billions of weary souls from the jaws of famine, disease, slavery, starvation, and poverty.

Procrastination costs us so much. Collectively, we will pay no less than our very future, and in return we will have nothing but the smashed hope of deliverance by some Alien race who are not coming to the rescue. Why would they? And why would you portray Humanity in such an insulting light, as to make us a galactic charity case, unable to fend for our own well-being against ourselves? It is no wonder they do not descend en masse from the heavens to share the bounty of their technological prowess.

I cannot say whether there are Extraterrestrial life forms or not, but if there are I would expect they would do everything in their power to stave off the day when we mingle with them, and rightly so, when the only people among us eager for their Contact are the same who have shirked all responsibility to institute Progress on our own world. We would inherit the stars, and the stars, would inherit us. Obviously, this is a losing scenario for the stars.
edit on 30-5-2011 by vexati0n because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
So true, and so eloquently spoken. Perhaps some people are just too overwhelmed and feel helpless to change things for the better. Out of desperation, they seek powers beyond our own in hopes that 'they' will fix the problems of the world and make it all better. Perhaps they have yet to find the inner strength and courage to face the world and deal with possible solutions. I don't know, but I hope someday we can come together as a people and find solutions and leave the extraterrestrials to deal with their own worlds.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by vexati0n

I would imagine an advanced alien race to show either indifference or only a slight curiosity in the human race, the idea of them helping us is kinda silly.

Anthropocentric is the watch-word here.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Great post. You have eloquently and succinctly deconstructed the Disclosure Movement/Exo-Politics philosophy. It is no different than religion, lazy and irresponsible.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I too think it is logical to conclude that if there are intelligent benevolent extraterrestrials aware of us, they would keep their distance and avoid overt interaction with humans. It would do neither party any good for them to swoop in and save us before we've learned to save ourselves.

On the other hand, a malevolent extraterrestrial race might not keep their distance, but they wouldn't be coming to save us either...

S&F for you - thanks!

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Judging by some calculations that there must be millions of planets with life out there, I suppose we're not an exactly cream of the crop race to contact.

More like 'I'd give it 5 light years, if I we're you'.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by EnigmaAgent

Hey EnigmaAgent - what would you give 5 light years for? I'm not getting it....

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I choose to believe because I feel that this corrupt world we live in today is not it, I look up at night and see millions of stars/suns and galaxies.
If your GOD is so great then why just stop with one planet; Why not have create many different life forms, many different histories, many different people who worship HIM and feed him with all sorts of energies.

There is something more to our lives that we have yet to uncover, our own secrets of life, perhaps we will not shed light on these things in my lifetime, perhaps not even the next or the one after that, slowly the people of our world will realize that there is something missing, something more than just war and violence.

The ETs have not revealed themselves for sure because I believe that they feel that our species is not ready for such an astonishing truth, we have yet to find peace on our world in order to share it with other worlds and life forms. Once we see the day that MAN can actually live as ONE will be the day that all truths will be revealed.

Do not lose faith in man just yet my friends, this struggle is only temporary; become intuned with yourselves and discover the truth of your life first, then slowly once everyone has realized their own purpose the purpose of MAN will be uncovered.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Same as it ever was.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SamSeed

John Boswell has produced some incredibly beautiful work in his Symphony of Science series. Everyone should watch these. Boswell is a great ambassador for science.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Its not really belief, as belief has some kind of underlying structure, pure open-mindedness is the key, in other words, something that is pure, that has no preconceptions of the "truth" and simply enjoys wondering about what "could be" - why, well, because it makes one happy.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SystemResistor

Yeah, that's the problem. It makes "one" happy.

We have almost seven billion people on this rock, and far too many of them are primarily concerned with making "one" happy.

I guess what I'm saying is, UFO meet-ups and useless incoherent drool-based conversation about the Orion Collective and crap like that is fine, but do try to have those conversations while manning a soup kitchen.

That way, you might luck out and make three or four happy, not just "one."

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by EL1A5

^I think you're a little off target in your approach to the thread.^

I believe the topic question was stated in a rhetorical fashion in order to target the immature sense of unfounded faith. That is, the question was not begging for a counter argument giving philosophical reasons to believe, rather it was criticizing the manner in which we form our beliefs. Many of us put blind faith in the ideal that some greater force will intervene to aide us in our progression as universal beings. An overly simple analogy for this concept would be like as a toddler when you spilled a cup of juice your parents would come and wipe it up for you. Only in our instance this spill includes a myriad of grievances which far exceed a simple "mopping" resolution. As a species we must learn to take responsibility for our actions and stop banking on intervention to correct our wrongdoings in order to reach a more advanced state of being.

I believe the OP is neither criticizing nor supporting the existence of extraterrestrial life forms. Rather, he is simply citing that many abuse the possibility of their existence as an excuse to procrastinate their personal progression and therefore the progression of society as a whole.
edit on 31-5-2011 by TheChemist1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   

I mean, hypothetically, given the facet of the imagination. I have seen a homeless man, laying on his back, looking at the stars with a big grin on his face. Even a starving person, has a sense of hope, it might not have any real basis, but it is something.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   

For the hopeless to find hope only in the unattainable is a tragedy, in my opinion.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
why believe?

In the grand scheme of things I can see how it will not make a difference. It will not affect our lives in any way. If we consider the deliberate attempt to conceal themselves and have nothing to do with us. What's the point then?

I don't think most ppl "believe" for "salvation" however (although some do).

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by vexati0n

For the hopeless to find hope only in the unattainable is a tragedy, in my opinion.

I disagree with your sad commentary on peoples faith with ET's.

When the ET's show off and flaunt with such bragadocio, on there own idea's of alien communication buy shoving there starcraft in front of our faces; much surely the presence of them, will make some people "wanting" for just a piece of ET technology.

But I'm not holding my breath for that, and surely should nobody else.

But my "knowing" and faith in ET technology has driven me to a point in my life: That humanity is headed in the wrong direction on the safety and realiability in fission power and the use of carbon based fuels in relation to climate change.

Therefore, mankind must strive for the "unattainable," [ like fusion power,] or forever be trapped in the dark ages of our planet which is surely to come crashing down on us, "environmentally" in the near future.

Foofighters forever.

Erno86
edit on 31-5-2011 by Erno86 because: typo

edit on 31-5-2011 by Erno86 because: ditto

edit on 31-5-2011 by Erno86 because: added a word

edit on 31-5-2011 by Erno86 because: delited a word

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
It's not a matter of belief. There is plenty of evidence around you. Either you do not analyze it properly or dismiss it out of fear. Which is it?

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Theliesdestroyed

There is no real evidence, it is all myths, fantasies, hoaxes and pure nonsense.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Turiddu
reply to post by Theliesdestroyed

There is no real evidence, it is all myths, fantasies, hoaxes and pure nonsense.

And I suppose we'd have to add hallucinations to this list. Its apparently the only explanation for what I've experienced.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join