It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

May I pose to you a question?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Until I rid myself of my addictions to an easy life and other vices the modern world presents, I will never truly be free.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
What is freedom?

Is it individual?
Would you give your life, so that others may be Free? Do you die as an American, so that an African can be free? Would you fight as a European, so that an Asian could be free? Would you overthrow your democratic government, in order to Unite humanity? Would you give up all your luxurious comforts, just to see a child live on more day?

An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Are you free when you are Truly living?

Am I free when I speak?
Am I free when I think?

Am I free when I drive?
Am I free when I eat?

Am I free when I learn?
Am I free when I work?

Am I free when I dress?
Am I free when I sing?

What makes me a free man?

Is freedom having the ability to decide for myself?

Can I be labeled free when I rely on others to provide for me?
When my house is built for me? AM I FREE?
When my food is grown for me? AM I FREE?
When songs I sing are written by others? AM I FREE?
When my clothes are sewn for me? AM I FREE?
When books are written so that I can read? AM I FREE?
When money is printed so that I may buy? AM I FREE?
When others die, so that I may live? AM I FREE?
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Man is not FREE. We are enslaved.
Our duty to the well-being of all mankind ensures that we may never be free.

Freedom is not desirable.
Freedom is barbarity.
Freedom is individuality.
Freedom is greed. (USA: Greedom!)
Freedom is selfishness.

To be free, is to break the common bond that Unites all Man under the one True purpose of Life; the Prosperity of Humanity.
To seek true freedom is to rebel against the Welfare of Mankind.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

We the People of the United States; in order to Form a more Perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common Defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Prosperity do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Do you live by the Constitution? Can you truly be Free when you label yourself as a Citizen of the United States of America? Can you be free, if others are slaves to you? Can you be free, when you are enslaved to others?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

I am not Free.
I am Proudly enslaved by my duty to ensure that Humanity will continually strive for perfection.
I live not for myself, but for All of Man.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Misoir this is a point which I have pondered at length at different times in life, under assorted circumstance. I found the outcome/answer may change as the variables of life that surround us at a given time affect the results.

Once I worked in a small foods store owned by a man who would wash his hands in the most hot water. He wanted to have his hands as germ-free as possible when making sausage or serving deli foods.

Asking him how he could stand such terribly hot water he told me: "It doesn't matter how hot the water is. What matters is if you mind." He learned & understood life lessons needed to have discipline which allowed him to do things many others are not capable of. Understanding of perspective, self awareness and implementation of action may start one on the path to freedom.

The most important lesson I learned that enabled my freedom was shared by a man that devoted his life to the wellness of others. It is contained within the writings of William Shakespeare (below). Here is an excerpt found on enotes.com/ :

Hamlet: What have you, my good friends, deserv'd at the hands of Fortune, that she sends you to prison hither?

Guildenstern: Prison, my lord?

Hamlet: Denmark's a prison.

Rosencrantz: Then is the world one.

Hamlet: A goodly one, in which there are many confines, wards, and dungeons, Denmark being one o' th' worst.

Rosencrantz: We think not so, my lord.

Hamlet: Why then 'tis none to you; for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. To me it is a prison.

Hamlet Act 2, scene 2, 239–251.

The Bards key words: "..there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."

On enotes there is also summary analysis of character dialogue. This excerpt is of importance:

"Hamlet is a prisoner of his own thinking, and of his knowledge that his stepfather is a fratricide and his mother incestuous. When he states that "there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so," he's not indulging in ethical relativism as much as wishing for blissful ignorance. He's also implicitly damning the naïveté of the king's new yes-men."

Keep in mind this statement is slanted by the variables within the life, experience & education of whomever penned that opinion.

As for my finding freedom, I have found not only freedom but comfort, joy and understanding --- again, all from this piece of Shakespeare:

"..there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."

Contemplation of this reflection has allowed me to understand that not only do I hold the keys to unlock all that bound me, I am responsible for thinking I was shackled to begin with.

It's all in the mind.

Only thinking makes it so.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Q:1984A:1776

Where do I sign up for those classes! Sounds like a brilliant idea to me.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I don't believe anyone is free, nor any animal which lives within a social construct. Social mores, attitudes and customs inherently alter your basic perception, perspective, thoughts, value system and judgement and as such, your very existence is governed by the prior thoughts and opinions of the collective society in which you live. Rather, that society in which you were born.

Does anyone deserve to be free? Impossible to say, because since the time two cavemen began hanging out forming some form of collective, no man ever has been.
edit on 1-6-2011 by dolphinfan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Q:1984A:1776

Very good answer...............ditto.

A slave that does not know he/she is enslaved will not rebel and a prisoner that does not realize they are imprisoned, will not try to escape.

The fifty million dollar question is who is at the very top of the pyramid, we are all working for?

Like in the Wizard of Oz, who are the real _______ behind the curtain.

Notice I did not say people for there is a possibility that the ones behind the curtain are not even human.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by PatriciusCaesar

Very good answer.................and a lot to think about.

Talk is cheap, action is not.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join