It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The War On Cameras

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
As more and more cases of police brutality and negligence are caught on camera, it becomes nessasary to remove the tool that provides the evidence; the camera itself. Who will watch the watchers in this world of increased censorship where TPTB are determined to hide the truth at all costs?

The following video documents the foggy legal area of cameras, audio and video recording, and how the police can use your ignorance against you when you don't know the law.

Do you think people should be allowed to record law enforcement officers or in public areas? Should there be a specific law that allows this to be legal?
edit on 29-5-2011 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
People do not respect the police. If they did police brutality wouldn't even happen as much as it does.

But... Utopia does not exist

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Yes we should be able to record the police.

Using their argument, if you'e not guilty of anything, then what's the worry?

They invade our homes, our cars, our lives. But they say, "If you're not guilty of anything, then why worry?"

Say "CHEESE"

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I think video taping interactions with police should be one of the biggest deterrents to police going to far. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work. They have cameras in their car that record traffic stops so I don't see any reason why citizens shouldn't be allowed to record the interaction. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a motion to pass a law that would prohibit citizens from video taping cops though.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas
People do not respect the police. If they did police brutality wouldn't even happen as much as it does.

I offer a counter to your claim-if police abuse wasnt so rampant, more people would respect the police.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
It really irritates me that police make up, or misunderstand laws and threaten to attack you or destroy your property based on a law that may or may not exist. Even if you confidently know the police officer is incorrect, it seems nearly impossible to convince him otherwise.

It doesn't make sense either, I've seen cops act like fools just because said person is holding a camera. If they wanted to put out a good image of the force, leave the camera man alone and do your job.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
Yes we should be able to record the police.

Using their argument, if you'e not guilty of anything, then what's the worry?

They invade our homes, our cars, our lives. But they say, "If you're not guilty of anything, then why worry?"

Say "CHEESE"

Exactly, I think it works both ways. If the police aren't guilty of anything, then why do they worry about cameras recording them?

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Artanis667
It really irritates me that police make up, or misunderstand laws and threaten to attack you or destroy your property based on a law that may or may not exist. Even if you confidently know the police officer is incorrect, it seems nearly impossible to convince him otherwise.

It doesn't make sense either, I've seen cops act like fools just because said person is holding a camera. If they wanted to put out a good image of the force, leave the camera man alone and do your job.

The problem is in the cop culture. One of the first thing taught to new officers is to assert their authority. The problem is, their authority is far more limited than they would like to admit.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by MJZoo
I think video taping interactions with police should be one of the biggest deterrents to police going to far. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work. They have cameras in their car that record traffic stops so I don't see any reason why citizens shouldn't be allowed to record the interaction. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a motion to pass a law that would prohibit citizens from video taping cops though.

What an attack on our rights that would be. Then, if the police were going to screw you over after a certain incident, like they do already, you're not allowed to even try and protect yourself against their lies with video or photogrophy evidence. That would be so messed up

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I stated in another thread, and I'll repeat here. As long as they are on duty and wearing a gun and badge they should be recorded. This is better for all parties involved.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
If a Police car video tapes a citizen, and a security camera tapes a citizen, and a photo radar station tapes a citizen....Then a citizen can tape a Police Officer.

Simple as that. If they want to ban filming outright, knock yourselves out in the attempt. But as far as 'some people can video tape, and some can't'.... That's utter hogwash.

Police tape detainees, they tape interviews, they tape people from their cars... There is no reason they can't be filmed by the public, unless they have something to hide.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
And this is why they should be recorded:

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

The reason we do not respect the police is because of what they (not all) do. Most are pigs that think their badge is a crown and think they have power to do whatever they want. its disgusting and wrong.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by LiquidNova

Not only that but in nature, a predetor knows its prey by the display of fear. I wouldn't be surprised if some animalistic roots take hold during a situation where you're scared simply being confronted by an officer. I remember for a long time, I was just scared of police for no good reason.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

People do not respect police BECAUSE of police brutality. You've gotta get it in the right order, there...

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Nah...Maybe where you guys live.

Police here is more often a joke. My order is right.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   

This one always makes me chuckle it from UK.

Class pure and simple !

Peace

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Nah...Maybe where you guys live.

Police here is more often a joke. My order is right.

Well hell, I wanna come live in whatever Mayberry corner of the world you are in....course, it shouldnt just be about your location. It should be about the nation as a whole.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Oh...but it is about the whole nation. It just isn't that big.

I can tell you all about what I think of other places, but that would be hypocrit, since I only have experience with these things here and not anywhere else.

It is my point of view. Maybe it is different from yours, but that does not mean it is wrong.

So instead of trying to convince me by telling me I'm stupid, doesn't get you anywhere.
You could have just asked why or how I got to this opinion.

edit on 5/31/2011 by Sinter Klaas because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Yeah you always make yourself a target when you have a camera on you. Even if nothing is happening. I've been following such news stories since I started photography.
There is only one state where they still try to keep it so that you cannot film police without their consent. Illinois is claiming that it falls under wiretapping and two way consent. That is now being challenged on a federal level. Three other states have the same wording on the law about wiretapping but they have ruled that it does not apply in public where there is no expectation of privacy. DA's have send out memos explaining that such a charge would never stick therefore officers should never even attempt to use it.
I personally follow Photography is not a crime blog about these issues. It is kept by a guy called Carlos Miller who himself has been arrested twice for photographing a police and harassed because of photography multiple times. Thing is even if it is completely lawfull to take pictures of police, military, federal buildings and anything within public view you still get harassed and sometimes even charged on bogus charges for it. One recent case is the Joey Boots case where after it was found out that he did nothing illegal he was falsely ticketed for "interfering with traffic". That is another problem. If filming or taking pictures of cops is legal they still have a multitude of "arrest anyone" charges they can pin on people. It's not a new phenomenom but after 911 and patriot act and the ensuing media fear mongering it has gotten alot worse.
Sometimes you can make a difference thought. For example recently Spokane county sheriffs office launched a tip webpage where "photography" is listed as suspicious activity alongside with real crime such as "cyber crime", "physical intrusion" etc. After they received tons of "tips" that said such things as "photography is not a crime" they removed it. Another good example is the Metrorail security incidents with Carlos Miller. He was attacked and "permanently banned" for braking no law. This was protested by tens of photographers and some media who joined together to make the point clear that there is no law against photography. As far as I know that is now going to court.
Mad world, what can I say

edit on 31/5/2011 by PsykoOps because: fixed wording

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join