It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has Anyone Noticed The Planetary KP Index Is At 6 Right Now? (Storm)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I check this site all the time, and I've never noticed a level of Kp=6. Call me crazy, but has anyone seen this before? (Kp explanation link below...)

Kp explanation...

Source : SpaceWeather.com...

I've seen a few threads on the Kp index, usually being discussed on around a level 5. Curious to hear your thoughts on this.. Also, we don't usually see a "Severe" Geomagnetic Storm probability of 15% for high latitudes..

edit on 29-5-2011 by rstregooski because: content

edit on 29-5-2011 by rstregooski because: xcv

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by rstregooski

I check this site all the time, and I've never noticed a level of Kp=6. Call me crazy, but has anyone seen this before? (Kp explanation link below...)

Yes, during the late 1960's and early 1970's the sun was very active and I could see aurorae from the Great Lakes, which would correspond to a Kp of 7. We are transitioning from a solar minimum to a solar maximum, so the Kp number is bound to rise.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
the kp index is high, solar winds are high, geomagnetic storming is in effect and we had a mid latitudes aurora last night, still active but back to higher latitudes.

not too surprising since we are under cycle 24

the sun was quiet for the last couple weeks, and now this.

it was effectivelly the quiet before the storm.

still we are pretty much just watching the build up of cycle 24, expected to peak around 2012/13

for now it just give us more spectacular auroras, if it goes too high we might expect some sattelites to malfunction and some power grids to be affected.

but like i said as of now, this is just a build up.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by rstregooski
I check this site all the time, and I've never noticed a level of Kp=6. Call me crazy, but has anyone seen this before?

Yeah, 6 is high but not massively so.

Check the archives, here...
archives for last 2 years

or more recently, for last month... there are a few that high or higher scattered in there.
april

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001

Yes, during the late 1960's and early 1970's the sun was very active and I could see aurorae from the Great Lakes, which would correspond to a Kp of 7. We are transitioning from a solar minimum to a solar maximum, so the Kp number is bound to rise.

That's rather interesting.. Did you notice this at all throughout the following 3 solar maximums?

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   

That's rather interesting.. Did you notice this at all throughout the following 3 solar maximums?

Since then I've lived at lower latitudes or in larger cities, so I haven't seen an aurora with my own eyes since 1976.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Geomagnetic storm for sure. I've seen it high. I would say this is a mid to large size storm.

Here's another interesting website.
Real-time magnetosphere

new topics

top topics

join