It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Az. Unemployment Benefits To End?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Good Evening.

I just got wind that the Extended Benefits portion of the Unemployment Benefits for Arizona are set to end on the week ending June 11. I was curious as to why, so I looked here here

Seems that 10 out of 11 job sectors saw growth to the point where it lowered the unemployment rate enough to warrant stopping unemployment benefits. We still have a 9.3% unemployment rate, and the biggest employment gain that was seen was in construction.

Are we building new houses down here? Right. What's going on is a lot of remodeling and fixing up, but it still technically falls into the "construction" category. These are temporary jobs at best, and the average man knows this. It's not enough that roughly 650,000 people will lose their benefits because of a temporary gain in employment numbers, but to quote Paul Davenport :

"To keep the extended benefits, legislators would make a one-word change in a so-called “look back” formula so the current employment rate is compared with the previous three years instead of just the past two."

Yet many legislators, Senate president Russel Pearce included, are balking at it because they think it "incentivizes" people to not look for work. In other words, they think it help make people lazy.

What do you think about all this?
edit on 28-5-2011 by Taupin Desciple because: Clarity

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

Dont forget all the make busy work "fixing" roads that never seem to get fixed here in phoenix

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by NuroSlam

Yes yes yes! I've never lived anywhere with such never ending road work as here in Arizona! I keep waiting for the day we finally lose our highway funding because of our air quality, as we are always threatened, but it hasn't happened in the last thirteen years since I moved here, and probably never will. We could probably have a whole conspiracy thread just about the ongoing cycle of roadwork here.

I agree with the OP that if the majority of these jobs are construction, then it isn't permanent. And it definitely isn't all in new home construction. I suspect a lot of the construction that is going on is funded by the Federal handouts because they were things that could be started right away; if I am right, then not only are those jobs impermanent, but the money for those jobs is not permanent either.

new topics

join