It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Stonehenge Under Lake Michigan?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+76 more 
posted on May, 27 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Source

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/26b5eb900f64.jpg[/atsimg]

While scanning underneath the waters of Lake Michigan for shipwrecks, archeologists found something a lot more interesting than they bargained for, as they discovered a boulder with a prehistoric carving of a mastodon, as well as a series of stones arranged in a Stonehenge-like manner.

At a depth of about 40 feet into Lake Michigan's Grand Traverse Bay, using sonar techniques to look for shipwrecks, archeologists discovered sunken boats and cars and even a Civil War-era pier, but among all these they found this prehistoric surprise, which a trained eye can guess by looking at the sonar scans photos in this article.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/30e2a714a8b5.jpg[/atsimg]

"When you see it in the water, you're tempted to say this is absolutely real," said Mark Holley, a professor of underwater archaeology at Northwestern Michigan University College who made the discovery, during a news conference with photos of the boulder on display in 2007. "But that's what we need the experts to come in and verify.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e9917e9e4f33.jpg[/atsimg]

Found this story and had to share because that means this predates the ice age, as we believe it is the glaciers that caused the great lakes, And to have history that is that old in North America is very interesting.

I think any find like this is amazing and should be fully delved into. It is not that deep at about only 40 feet, so we should have divers down there looking and perhaps bring back up pictures and more information.

Cant wait to see what comes out for this and hopefully it is sufficient to warrant further investigation and further money poured into the project.

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
This is just awesome!! No idea if it's true or not but the site is only 2 hours away from where I live. I know of a small stonehenge on a private Island in the Upper Penninsula and tours are available,, going there this summer. History is constantly pushing human civilization back further and further all the time. Very Interesting.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Awesome discovery. Thanks for sharing this with us. I really have nothing I can add at the present moment, and it appears that's the case for everyone else too, 8 flags and 2 replies. For the sake of keeping this up on the board, there's my two cents for now.
edit on 27-5-2011 by highfreq because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Only 40 feet of water it shouldn't take too long to figure that out. I'm going to send a note to a couple of friends there and see what they know. I'm a few hours south but interesting non the less

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Nice find!
I also live about 2 hours from this site, yet have never heard anything about this...............Am also curious that this was found in 2007?? And its just now coming to light??

Parker

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Very interesting story. Hopefully now they will keep diving there to see what else they can find.
Given that it's at a depth of only 40 feet I think it would be an ideal site for more investigation.

The sonar images are very clear and it looks like something that could throw up some surprises.
Definetly one to keep an eye on.

S&F

edit on 27-5-2011 by cahlmac because: spelling

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Pretty cool stuff, but I'm hoping someone might be able to clarify something for me... the circle and triangle in the middle have something to do with the light source of the picture and therefore must be part of the picture taking, correct? (and not another submerged pyramid with a flying saucer over it!!) And why don't they publish a good, straight-on picture of the mastodon petroglyphs? (I can imagine seeing it from the crappy angled pic, but seriously...) . And why throw out the Stonehenge comparison without actually having some comparison of the two, or some theory of why they are laid out in the pattern that they are in?

But I guess that is the way it goes with good mysteries... only questions!

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Excuse me! We get some indeterminate images of a lake bottom which are pretty difficult to determine at such resolutions and you already know there's mastadons carved on them! Good grief Mr creationist you'll be telling us next the banana was created by god to fit the hand rather than it being the creation of agro-science.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I personally dont see anything resembling stonehenge in the sonar pics. But i'm no sonar expert either, with that said if this pans out it would be a major discovery imo. Hopefully theres some profesionals looking at it now, id hate to see something like this swept under the rug. But this was discovered in 2007, and theres been nothing else reported on it since then, doesnt make me very confident that it wont be swept away.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Nice but old news, at least five other threads on this dating from 2009

One noted below

Old thread

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Very interesting, i will look further into this and post if i find anything

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Ignore the following post... looked farther down the source page and found the pic.

I want to see the carving of the mastadon! Since they know there's a carving, I assume that means divers have already been down there?
edit on 5/27/2011 by gemineye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I believe the idea of Pangea would explain how these type of structures could end up in present day North America.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Finally some good news coming out of michigan.
nice find

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
nice find man...

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune
Nice but old news, at least five other threads on this dating from 2009

One noted below

Old thread

yes......
and there are several sources other than the OP link

bldgblog.blogspot.com...

In a surprisingly under-reported story from 2007,

Mark Holley, a professor of underwater archaeology at Northwestern Michigan University College, discovered a series of stones – some of them arranged in a circle and one of which seemed to show carvings of a mastodon – 40-feet beneath the surface waters of Lake Michigan.

If verified, the carvings could be as much as 10,000 years old – coincident with the post-Ice Age presence of both humans and mastodons in the upper midwest

the 10,000 date is assumed to be before the glacial melt that innundated the areas now known as the great lakes...

i'd put the date nearer to 25000 bce, or whenever the meteors hit up in Canada when the ice sheet still existed, the future lake bed was probably a nice semi temperate 'valley' in an ice age environment, hence the vortex site and resulting power center for the primitives to build a shrine there we see as a 'stonehedge'

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
i'd put the date nearer to 25000 bce, or whenever the meteors hit up in Canada when the ice sheet still existed, the future lake bed was probably a nice semi temperate 'valley' in an ice age environment, hence the vortex site and resulting power center for the primitives to build a shrine there we see as a 'stonehedge'

Howdy St Udio

The meteor theory appears to have derailed under the weight of new studies

The story redux

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Howdy St Udio

The meteor theory appears to have derailed under the weight of new studies

The story redux

hey thanks for the info...
i haven't been reading up or web surfing very much lately....
~blame it on POGO~

the theory sure sounded good back then...

the salt caverns and salt deposits all around there in michigan, canada, ohio, penna...
although deep underground have something to help explain about the geologic history of the area

as for the ancient stone layout...has anything been studied further since the 2007 discovery?
any papers, expeditions planned, or research projects planned--- or is money too tight

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Seems like we're finding more secrets about this planet and our origin in the last 12 months than ever before. From ancient civilizations being discovered and ancient technologies to things like this that completely change the way history was written. I'm going to go out on a limb and say this will end up being a very significant find that gets little exposure and most likely covered up.

Think about what this would imply if it was indeed what is assumed.

S+F these are my favorite threads

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ParkerCramer

They probably have been diving on it but just didnt want anyone else in on the find....maybe now thats its out,we will start seeing some news on it

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join