It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Flat Tax Is Not Flat and the FairTax Is Not Fair

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
This is a great Libertarian discussion on taxes, one of the best ones I've seen lately. Just more information for your arsenal about the welfare/warfare state and the false left/right dichotomy.

Link to article

The income tax system is a vast income redistribution and social engineering scheme. But the income tax code doesn’t just need to be simplified, shortened, fairer, or less intrusive. And neither do the income tax rates just need to be made lower, flatter, equal, or less progressive. The income tax should be repealed, not replaced. The IRS should be abolished, not given a new name. Tax reform should result in revenue reduction, not revenue neutrality. The only fair tax is a tax low enough to flatten skyrocketing congressional spending. Like educational vouchers and the privatization of Social Security, the Flat Tax and the FairTax are gimmicks that conservatives and libertarians should avoid.

Tax reform, not changing the way taxes are collected, should be the main point of discussion. This goes hand-in-hand with a discussion on the dismantling of the Federal Reserve.

Be careful those who you vote for, if they aren't touting radical changes in the philosophy of how we, as a country, "manage" our economy, then they aren't worth your vote. Anyone who does not support the dismantling of the Federal Reserve and a massive massive cut in Federal spending does not have the country's best interests at heart and only want to see us weakened as a country, or, they're an idiot.
edit on 5/23/2011 by Finalized because: Added link

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I can dig it...i really think we need a system based on sales alone.

When you get paid, you get it all. When you spend it, you pay 15% or whatever the amount is.

This solves several problems. The first of which is drug dealers, they stand on the corner and make a grand a night? Fine, when he goes and buys an escalade or whatever, he pays his taxes.

The next is the unnecessary Fed and what, 90,000 pages of tax code? Gone. Or should be. April 15th? Gone.

Another is that, when congress over spends, and has to raise the rate, they are IMMEDIATELY accountable. Change from 15% to 16%? Congress did it and everybody knows it. The way it is now, they just add here and take there and no dang body but one of them knows.

Anyway, just my disjointed 2 cents worth.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Agreed. Income... what most working stiffs think of as "income" should not be taxed at all. It is not income, it is a trade... legal tender for labor.

Income that is real income, like that from investments and playing the market, where the receiver does not have any outgo, should be taxed.

And the rest, yes... consumption tax all the way.

join