It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadians secretly added to U.S. security list: WikiLeaks

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Bwahahahaha!

What option?

You provide this or we take over your security...some option.

To the op, I too will express my displeasure through their wallets...just cancelled my trip to the US.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Of course the Canadian Government has no right to give info about us to anyone. But it's also true that the US has gone nuts with their security problems, and since Bush, we have to stand by you, or it'll mean we are against you...

US just ain't a friend of Canada. Never was, really. Historically, the actions of the US Government has just been destructive and obstructive towards Canada.

This is just another proof of that.

Our puppets shouldn't bow before yours.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

No kidding... which is what I just said.

Our Historical differences with Canada, were not with Canada but the British Sovereign who controlled Canada. Since that time we have become friends, allies, family and because of that we will have our differences.

The US will run its securty anyway we choose, just as Canada does with their immigration policies. Canada does not have to supply the US with the info. To use the lame excuse of Bush and if you arent with us you are against is just tells me that your issue goes beyond just the policy.

Obama is a wuss in international affairs.. We know this, you know this, europe knows this and our enemies know this. As I said, Canada is a sovereign nation... Make your own minds up and hold your governemtn accountible if you dont like what they are doing.

Quit blaming us for your Governments actions.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Xcathdra,

You fail to miss the point.

If it wasn't US interests that Canada was bowing to, it would be Russian, or English, or Chinese.

We are a light middle power, that is just how it goes.

It is not something that is loved by Canadians, but having to bow to US interests is far superior (IMHO) than bowing to Russian or Chinese interests.

Don't take anything that I post as attacks against the US. The blame lies soley with Canadians and our politicians. We just don't have the population level to be a major player. And, nobody here wants to increase our population rapidly due to the high risks involved.

But, to pretend that Canada doesn't have to, or would not have to, bow to the power of one of the major players is naive.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

Im not taking it personally or anything else. I am just amazed when other countries are requested to do something by the US, that the mindset is they cant refuse it. There have been many issues that Canada has refused to go laong with because it was not in the intrest of the Canadian people.

Whether we like it or not, the US and Canada are very close, and our defense, intelligence, law enforcement, etc are linked. We have a joint air defense network, we have the US Coast Guard and the RCMP dual comissioned in the Northwest and the Great LAkes.

Even with all of this, if I stop a person from Canada on a traffic stop, and run their information through our stsate system, Canada can take up to 3 days to respond to me, if at all. They are not required to provide certain information because they are not US citizens, and our agreement with Canada has certain provisions to take that into account.

At no point has the US stopped cooperating with Canada because of their restrictions on that system. Canada has the ability to access NCIC at the border checkpoints to check American citizens entering Canada.

To say your Government cannot say NO because the request is coming from the US is in my opinion an excuse and nothing more.

Canada has said no in the past, and our relations are as strong as ever.

They can say no now, and our relation will be as strong as ever..

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

It all depends on what we say 'no' to.

If this wasn't an issue that the US government is currently very concerned about I would agree. But, when you are the little guy, you have to pick your battles carefully.

Basically, the less our answer actually effects the US, the less worried we have to be about saying no.
Example, Iraq.

We got the luxury of saying no soley because there would have been no tangible benefit to us coming.

National security during these times, is really not a debatable topic right now. I have no question that the US will do anything to secure their borders, up to and including, deploying security forces around the perimeter of North America.

Canada literally has no real option, so we choose the 'best of the worst' option. In this case, handing over confidential information. Which is a far cry better than having a complete second perimeter along international waters.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
This is absolutely retarded action given that Canada has a vastly superior track record at capturing and stopping terrorist action on our own...

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by NowanKenubi

Of course the Canadian Government has no right to give info about us to anyone. But it's also true that the US has gone nuts with their security problems, and since Bush, we have to stand by you, or it'll mean we are against you...

US just ain't a friend of Canada. Never was, really. Historically, the actions of the US Government has just been destructive and obstructive towards Canada.

This is just another proof of that.

Our puppets shouldn't bow before yours.

Dude where were you when I was trying to explain this crap to some dumbass american soldier a couple of weeks ago? lol Your presence would have made that conversation so much less aggravating and non-productive.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Riiiigghhhttt... So the answer is to blame the US, regardless.

And people wonder why there is a sense of civil rights / liberties being eroded by Governments. We let them do it because apparently saying no is to hard.

Canada is a sovereign country. They have told us no in the past, the have told us no in the present, and they will tell us no in the future. And after all of this, we are still friends.

The US wants this info for security... Your Government has the ability to say yes, or no to that request.

Saying no, as with other hot topic issues, is within the ability of the Canadaian Government. To suggest otherwise tells me that Canadians apparently are to lazy to hold their government accountible, just as Americans do.

Say no.. Contact your rep and express your concern.

For god sake, stand up and be heard.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

You don't follow Canadian politics much do you.

We have two political parties that are very much in favour of telling the US government (and every other nation) exactly where to go on many issues like this.

Btw, one of those parties made very large gains this last election.

I have actively supported and voted for one of them (came so close to winning in my riding
).

Staying within the law, I am currently doing everything I can do.

I (and the candidate I support) are also well aware of the ramifications. We both agree, that it will be better for Canada in the long run, even if it does cause issues now.
edit on 21-5-2011 by peck420 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join