It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Distant rocky planet 'could be future human home'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
The planet Glese 581d, first thought of unable to support life has seen the decision revised and now, it could be a future home for humans!

"With a dense carbon dioxide atmosphere -- a likely scenario on such a large planet -- the climate of Gliese 581d is not only stable against collapse but warm enough to have oceans, clouds and rainfall," France's National Centre for Scientific Research (CNRS) said in a press release.

And Surprise! Surprise!, it orbits a Red Dwarf...a cooler star than ours, but can still harbor life!

Here is the article if you are interested in this news.

Red Dwarf
edit on 16-5-2011 by NowanKenubi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Let's pack our bags!! As long as rules change and Obama stays here, I am in!!!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
we'd have to learn how to become a self-sustainable space colony convoy for a 20 light-year journey like that...
but with the nuclear disaster in japan evident of our capability, i'd say it's highly unlikely for at least 300 years, if we are to stay on the present course of scientific discovery that is. it's amazing we're finding new worlds, there are countless and in many variations and forms. it would be best if we sent the probes now to start analyzing and gathering the data necessary to step foot on the planet. ha

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
As long as their is a resource to fight wars over, then it should be just perfect for us.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

I will let you drive! ( I'll be sleeping for a part of the trip...
)

But bring your kodak, because...

For budding travellers, though, Gliese 581d would "still be a pretty strange place to visit," the CNRS said.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

Where can i get tickets to this new planet???

Great find op, wonder how many more they will find near to our place in the universe.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

That's really interesting, although I'd be a little more than too scared to go live on another planet haha.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Splendid. Running from our Mother Earth to another planet just because we screwed Mother Earth will fix everything. We won't have learned the lessons of not #ing up our environment if we go there and mess up Father Gliese's environment..

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Yes, a change in mentality is highly due before trying to colonize another planet. It's true wars could easily begin over resources we may not even find here.

But I wouldn't be scared to go there... simply for the fact our planet IS scary, at times, but we get along...

I should start a traveling agency, do like the guy who claimed property of the Moon and began renting space...

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by OneLife
Splendid. Running from our Mother Earth to another planet just because we screwed Mother Earth will fix everything. We won't have learned the lessons of not #ing up our environment if we go there and mess up Father Gliese's environment..

Very true words spoken. I think it would be awful really to go to another world and do what we do here. I honestly don't think that mankind has or will learn anything in the way of looking after Earth the way it should be looked after.

There is only a matter of time IMO before the Earth gets rid of its infestation of pain and suffering we humans cause!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by boo1981

My modem dropped dead as I was to post...

I hope the Earth only gets rid of the infectious part of humanity...

A poster above said that we should send drones as quick as possible... I agree, but we just might get there before it as technology will continue to evolve while it would be going!

In case I didn't say it in a previous post, I wonder what pictures Hubble could give us of that planet, if possible.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
My favorite color is blue, red would kind of throw me kind of off kilter. Its a warm color but not if its really cold outside.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

It's true a red sky would quickly become an eye killer... We would need to create glasses that would make us see the sky in blue!

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I'd say give us 50 years. Look how far we've come since the '40s! I'd say give us till about 2055-2061 and we'll be living on colony planets...

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Davian

In 68 years, from 1901 to 1969, we went from wood and paper plane to rocket to the moon. Since then, the technology has slightly been improved; it is more of a fashion story...

Logically, we should already have the technology to travel far... but if we do, it has been hidden.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I wish I could see what this planet really looks like. It's too bad that we don't have a telescope powerful enough to image it, or a spacecraft fast enough to get there in a reasonable amount of time.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by boo1981

Where can i get tickets to this new planet???

Great find op, wonder how many more they will find near to our place in the universe.

Actually I am selling tickets!! Let me know if anyone is interested? They are $100 each and you have to provide your own transportation.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   

They are $100 each and you have to provide your own transportation.

Funny! I see you have some politician blood in your body... Will you run for President once there?

I just thought... I f it can harbor life... Does it, right now? We could get there and be welcomed as the Aliens.
We'd be called the Coloreds.
I wonder if we would be acting like what we read from old texts here on Earth...

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Yay! New world to explore!

I agree with sending probes immediately, we will need to gather astonavigational data, along with data on the planet itself. perhaps a series of probes like bouys in space should be sent. Either way a brand new planet, perhaps we will find life on that planet, maybe even intelligent life. Sweet then we can go all manifest destiny on their xenos scum and torch their world and plunder just to feed our own, mwhahahahaha! No seriously though its great that we found, I doubt we'll see anything significant achieved in our life times, maybe in several centuries but not now. We are on a hypergrowth curve right now with population and technology, while facing food shortages and numerous natural disasters. Lets not even get starts on how frakked up our society and governance has become in this world.

SO I say this a wonderful discovery for now, despite this planets somewhat controversial "habitable" status.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by NowanKenubi

They are $100 each and you have to provide your own transportation.

Funny! I see you have some politician blood in your body... Will you run for President once there?

I just thought... I f it can harbor life... Does it, right now? We could get there and be welcomed as the Aliens.
We'd be called the Coloreds.
I wonder if we would be acting like what we read from old texts here on Earth...

Why not right?? People buy fake land on the moon and Helium rights?? COME ON....People buy stars in the sky and name them?? Why can't I sell tickets right?? People are dumb enough

You never know, if I sell enough tickets I might have enough money to run for president there. I would in a heartbeat and fire every person who is Democrat or Republican....There is no segregation with me....
edit on 5/17/2011 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join