It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You are Ready! But, is your Wife / Girlfriend?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I know a lot on here are savvy to the ways of survivalism and prepping.
But are your wives and girlfriends or indeed husbands etc?

It's going to take (in the case of married, cohabiting) a joint-effort to survive TSHTF / TEOTWAWKI.

That means both of you pulling your weight.
One cannot survive alone if the other is not willing to go the distance.
For singleton's it's not quite like that, there's less to worry about (usually).

So now is the time for you to get things sorted;
If you haven't already explained your stance and mindset DO SO NOW!
The sooner the better.
Failing to mention it when the SHTF could mean your other half basically won't even understand half of what you are going on about....

Now is the time...

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by WatchRider

very well stated!!

lucky for myself-- it was one of the things we agreed upon when we first met...

(hmm an--ATS dating service)???

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
If you are sitting..stand up.. if you are deaf, use your eyes.. if you are blind, use your ears.. If you are conforming.. Start resisting.. If you are sleeping.. WAKE THE HELL UP!

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
You know, this is a good question and something that I have thought about a lot. I am married and have two kids….an 18 year old step daughter and a 5 year old son. We have put together a food/survival supply kit for the four of us as well as an emergency and communications plan that we have reviewed in depth. In addition to the supplies, we also have defense systems in place as well. But I can tell you, even with all this planning and preparing, I am taking the responsibility on to ensure the hopeful safety of my wife and kids. Sure, they play an integral part of it all, but ultimately it will be up to me. Call it machismo, call it old school, call it chivalry, call it the duty of the man of the household, or whatever term you want to put on it, but I have taken it on. Sure, surviving for yourself would be easier, and frankly it would most likely have a higher success rate, but that was a decision I made when I got married and decided to have kids. I was willing to take on that responsibility.

As far as my wife accepting the concept of TSHTF, that is another story. I have told her that we are preparing for something that I hope never happens, but if it does I want to give survival the best chance that I can. She resisted for a while, and then gradually came to accept that fact that we are getting ready to ensure the safety of our children. She still doesn’t like to discuss it much, because it is something that is a sad and bleak outlook. She doesn’t like to think of the world that our kids and eventually their kids will live in. Maybe it will be great, but maybe it won’t. That makes her sad. So, we have the outlook of living life as best we can. Enjoying everything we can day to day, because tomorrow may not come. We love each other more. We love our family more. We do fun things daily to enjoy it as much as possible. Even little things, like a picnic in the park are what we make sure to take advantage of now. We don’t dwell on the thought of TSHTF, because we don’t need to. We are as ready as we can be, and really that is all you can do.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
when it comes to protecting and survival of our son my lady will go the distance

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I broke up with my girlfriend of 4 years because we simply weren't on the same page anymore. Wereas I was using almost every bit of my time trying to secure, supply and inform (myself and others), she was busy complaining about the cat ruining the shower curtains with thoughts of replacing it.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I came across this article on the topic from an excellent website that is quite comprehensive in the realm of Survival.

I definitely have to use the soft approach with my wife because she tends to overreact and get tunnel vision and selective hearing.

Anyway...great article and a great site

Family Survival: The Spouse

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Wife is ready, girlfriend is not.

Just kidding.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Not even slightly.

The other day she said, she gets the best of both worlds. She can be snooty and scoff at any prepping I do calling me a paranoid nut job, but will get all the benefits if TS indeed hits the fan!

Ain't she lucky!

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hawklover

Wife is ready, girlfriend is not.

Just kidding.

funny,,, thing.. i said yesterday,,in another post.. my wife doesn't WANT to live through a SHTF..

she would rather i miss her,, after she is gone...

and SHE said,, i should go out and get another Wife.... just so i know how GOOD I have it now.....

oh it would be HARD on this man..... but we must endure....

***ETA*** I wont LET her PASS_AWAY...... not for all the young woman in my county....!!!

edit on 5/13/11 by darrman because: add a line

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Don't want to hijack the thread but lets not forget about Grandparents in the mix. My in laws and my folks both live near by and would certainly need some extra assistance

Same Source

Grandparents

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Im definitely prepared if SHTF. First thing im gonna be thinking of beside myself is my two kids. As for the bf, i think hes prepared in his own way. I think i would be too busy protecting my family to think about love
. Maybe ill check on him later

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

believe it or not,, the FIRST time i needed to "prepare"

i had my EX-wifes parents to plan for,,(alcoholic's) i had enough Booze to kill 4 Rhino's
4 cases of
Vodka

that would have gotten them through a week or two..

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by darrman

When you get down to the last case of vodka you start diluting with water to make it laaaast. No one knows the difference after a few drinks. Reminds me of the time I poured Gilbeys Gin into an empty bottle of Tanqueray just before a party. No one was the wiser

That reminds me oddly enough that I should add a flask of scotch to my BOB. Strictly for medicinal and morale purposes of course.

Cheers and unfortunately my Mother in law drinks beer. Tough to cache all of that beer

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I actually have the opposite problem; I am the wife. Awake and aware, I spend a lot of frustrating time trying to get my husband to open his eyes. He is still in denial, but I think he is gradually coming around.

One good thing is that once he realizes what is going on, he will be quite able to participate in whatever needs to happen; he has a few firearms and knows how to use them, is an avid mountain backpacker and wilderness survivalist, and has overall a good head on his shoulders. I can only hope he will come out of his slumber in time.

All he needs is to get his wake up call.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Frau Doktor had never been around "survival nuts" until she met my friends. But she willingly went along with every phase of my prep, as i slowly introduced the concepts a bit at a time.

There have been several times in our relationship, where my paranoia and preparedness gave us a great advantage. I made one market call correctly, and sold all of our securities right before a market "snap." We actually profited handsomely (buying all the stock back at greatly reduced prices), while her own parents and her friends took an economic hit. Her response was "gee, you only have to be "right" about twice a decade, and we'll eventually be millionaires!"

Then there was the time we were traveling over Christmas break, and were hit by another car, and forced off the road. I had a "get home" bag in the trunk. So she saw that my preparations were worth the price.

Then came the late 1990s and the Y2K "bug." Originally, the institution she worked for said that Y2K was a bunch of garbage, and there would be no problems. But I wanted to prepare. And then her employers started making elaborate preparations in case they lost computers.

We struck a deal. I would only buy stuff that we would use anyway. Extra things came out of my hobbies allowance.

And the measure we would use in our decisions together is this: "What's the price of being wrong?"

So for Y2K, if we made no preps, and it turned out to be a crisis, wed have been screwed. But if I DID prep, and turned out to be wrong, then we'd have a bunch of ....camping supplies.... which is exactly what happened. No harm, no foul, and a lot of good times when we had kids, using the equipment we bought for Y2K. I even have a campfire-powered espresso maker.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
im almost ready, i have about $600 worth of stuff to still get, water filters, seeds for our SHTF property, gas, gas grill. For the most part im good for about 3 mouths and by that time the seeds should be producing. Water wont be a problem there. lots of rivers ands springs with fish.

My GF and future wife knows whats going on and has accepted the fact that the SHTF will happen soon. Shes a smart girl, after i sat her down and told everything that was going on, took a few hours, she understood and even got her family to start storing goods.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Given that one of the stated items that TPTB are after is a 90% reduction in population, it's pretty arrogant to think that you're going to survive whatever it is that goes down when TSHTF.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
To me it comes down to three choices:

1) Stay where I am and try and develop relations with my neighbors and stock pile (hard to do in a city where everyone is a stranger and completely "wired" into the system).

2) Try and relocate into a smaller town in a different state

3) Read as much as I can on survival techniques pack necessities and take my chances in the woods, national parks, mountains etc..

All three choices have major issues.

1) I live in NYC which is on a coast line, has a population of about 10-11 million, with little agriculture to survive on. Mass hysteria and complete chaos is highly likely.

2) Hard to relocate into a town where they are usually are weary of city slickers especially one that is a minority and from NYC. Not to mention the difficulty of finding the right town in the right location.

3) Lived in the city all of my life and have very little experience in the outdoors (camping, fishing, mountain dwelling, foraging). I think if given the time I can learn and adjust when the need happens (I'm a pretty adaptable person), but doing so under the cercumstances is a HUGE risk.

My brother is on the same page as I am, so we would stick together in order to survive.
edit on 13-5-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-5-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: countless grammar corrections (typing fast while at work lol)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I have or HAD a unique issue. My husband was a marine.. we're older... and I am actually the survivalist in the family.
For many yrs even after he was wounded and was no longer active duty, he still believed the country was what it once was. The slow burn came.. it was as if he didnt WANT to believe the reality of it... and it sizzled for a few yrs.. sort of stewed until he had come to his senses and realized all is not what it appears to be. Not necessarily a SHTF/martial law thing.. or even a collapse... but the realization that the govt is NOT your savior even in a disaster is a hard realization for some. It is up the the family to care for its own.. . the idea that one can wait for the govt to quickly mobilize and help you is fantasy. Not only are they unwilling, they are literally incapable.

Today.. my husband and I stand side by side in preps. My mother ran back to the Rez as she thinks that will be better.. ROFL! One thing that is pretty surprising but makes me happy is that the husband has worked for yrs with the DoD.. and the by far larger percentage of his coworkers are aware, awake in varying degrees, and actually have a better handle on the reality of things than many here do.
The fools here who hate all DoD and govt SHOULD be happy the awake are on the inside.. but that would be demanding rationality.

The possibility of large scale disaster is there.. but the possibility of small scale localized disaster is very very likely. If it be social, financial, natural, "terror", accident.. whatever.. we are under more threat from more fronts than ever before. One must have a flexible plan and not center on only ONE method.. I have a real issue with the "bug outers" as that is their ONLY plan for every possible scenario. I scoff at them, poke fun... but underneath I am very sad for them and see them as walking dead if we should suffer a tragedy. They have gone to such expense and prep.. only to forget the most important thing.. adapt and overcome ANY situation. They sadly have not.

I was raised a little different.. Im ndn and was the first to born off of a reservation in my family. We have a different view of the federal govt.. and we see it much more personal than the average US American. Too much to go into here, but lets just say my father was a very awake and very radical bad uncontrollable NDN.
Sadly he is dead now and I havent his widsom to guide me... but I listened when I was a kid.. and we all are truly slaves. Not just us on a rez.. you whites too. Your new master is the Federal Govt and you do not have the freedom to say "no" anymore. You also have to consider your slave master is a fair weather friend and doesnt care for you. You must care for yourself and your loved ones on your own. It is YOUR responsibility. Men sstill being the main factor in family groups in the West, YOU are tasked with this.. YOU must make the decision.. and YOU will be held responsible when you make the wrong decisions. Please, please, take your responsibility seriously. Choose mates who are partners and part of your team. If you have children, your spouse will make or break your survival.. and the survival of your children. Those of us who actually are prepared can not help everyone, and we will be targeted by those who never prepared or prepared poorly. Seek out those who are like minded in your area.. your survival may depend on it even if you are a "lone wolf".. the times have changed, and you must adapt to survive.

Disaster or armageddon can be localized. I can tell you that the victims of the severe storms in Alabama feel as if the world has ended for them. Survivors of Katrina feel as if they had lived through Armageddon. It IS the end of their world.. of their comfort zone. Disaster doesnt have to come from a comet or a pole flip.. or even a bomb. It can come at you in many ways.. and I wish to see everyone survive what life sends them. You DO have the capability, we are a very hardy species. We just have to wake up and realize that the govt is not your friend and even if it was, it can not save you. You are tasked with this alone. Take your survival and responsibilities seriously.

ATS has a survival radio show. It is very basic and I feel some of the stuff is BS, but thats me
The basic things are important to those new to this line of thought and even if you scoff, it is still there in the back of your head in the event you need the information. Medical info, herbal info, hunting and fishing info, it is all relevant. IN the US.. we have the terrain and resources to really SURVIVE well even if youre holed up or bugging out.. IF you have the knowledge. You have to weed through the BS fantasyland crap if youre new to this.. and there are those of us here who will help you... realists and experienced survivors.

My hope is that this idea of a survival radio show will expand.. not just bugging out, but urban survival and disaster survival. Real survival medicine and surgical techniques.. emergency medicine on a shoestring basically. I am bugging some folks about practical instruction videos guides.
My mission.. as it was in my career and my current activities.. is to inform, heal, and save people.. sometimes from themselves. This forum is a great opportunity to continue this and I hope you members and lurkers come to LEARN and not just network/socialize. Its an invaluable resource and launching board for other more refined material and contacts.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join