It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you ever give up your religion for the greater humanity?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
We are all going to have to learn how to work together or else humanity will eventually cease to exist..

edit on 11-5-2011 by BanMePlz because: added stuff

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by CodeRed3D
This post may be a bit premature, but I'm almost certain it will be a seriously debatable topic within the next few months.

Accepting it or not, religion is a key element that gives conviction and vindication. I just read a topic on Muslims beheading children in Thailand [LINK]. Judaism and Christianity have been just as blood guilty. However, religion is still the moral foundation in many cultures.

When the time comes to choose "what" to believe, would you choose to discontinue your religion for the sake of peace? How close do you feel we are to the tipping point where we would choose humanity over religion?

edit on 11-5-2011 by CodeRed3D because: (no reason given)

Peace in itself is almost a religion. To attain it and maintain it, we all have to live different lifestyles. What we have now is the old system, that yields unfavorable results. Religions themselves are not to be blamed, it's those who are members of a particular faith that are to blame.

It wasn't the book that killed innocent people, it was the people that didn't understand the message being sent. It wasn't Jesus Christ that killed people, it was people killing in the name of Christ.

All of this stems from intolerance and ignorance, not the religion itself. If a person can maintain an open, healthy mind and remain objective, religion shouldn't be of concern. It's not the ending of religion, it's the uniting of all religions that will help bring about peace.

I think people should give up being biased, give up being hateful. Will I sacrifice my personal beliefs for the greater cause of humanity? No, because that sacrifice isn't necessary. End ignorance. End violence.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by JR MacBeth
In fact, "humanity", the way the term was used, is rather ill-defined. In your usage, it serves as an alternate "paradigm". What exactly might that be? "Humanism" perhaps? Live and let live? Justice for all? Hmmm.

Good point! The definition "today", or at least in this thread, was simply to imply the preservation of the species.

Originally posted by DaMod
Not in a million years would I do this.. My faith is a large part of who I am...

Faith

Originally posted by Signals
And go to Hell for the greater humanity?
Hell no!

Fear

Originally posted by TheDarkestHour
All of this stems from intolerance and ignorance, not the religion itself.

Politics

I will use Christianity as an example as that is what I'm most familiar with myself. I believe though, you'll find similar correlations in many faiths. True Christianity didn't last very long. In fact, it was less than 300 years later that there was so much argument over Jesus' teachings, the Council of Nicaea was formed to choose the predominant features of the state religion. Most of today's Christian studies revolve around a politically contrived assessment of a religion where "faith" and "fear" keeps the masses subservient.

I've gathered from most of the answers so far that religious separatism is an impossibility. TheDarkestHour has a really good point. As long as there is people who mix political agenda with religion, there is no hope for peace.

This couldn't be any more evident when considering the "Muslim Extremist" propaganda tool. Similarly in the US, every other Christian church I've driven by flies the flag of their country in the parking lot.

edit on 12-5-2011 by CodeRed3D because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

When the time comes to choose "what" to believe, would you choose to discontinue your religion for the sake of peace?

I believe this would be a rare case. If someone is religious and desires peace, they'll simply modify their religious beliefs to favor peace, not abandon them.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by CodeRed3D

I believe that religious dogma and beliefs based on the illusion of separateness will dissolve away, with a personal connection that truly sees and knows that loving each other is ultimately loving ourselves and God at the same time.

In simpler terms, I think that the derisiveness of religious dogmatic ideology will dissolve as it is replaced with higher awareness -- as easily discarded as 8 track players in an MP3 world.

I personally believe that the "major" religions are all based on Spiritual Truth, but have become laden with man-made rules, ego-created thoughts and ideas based on separateness. The pathway to Spiritual Truth is through religion for some, not for others. One path is not "right" or others "wrong," but in my opinion the man-made and lesser energies within religion as we know it today will become outgrown - and I believe the sooner the better.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
The only faith I have ever had is in myself & my fellow man.
I wont even give that up if my body is turned to dust at the foot of a bloody great mushroom cloud. I probably wont have time...

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   

I have only read the title of this thread...
My answer to you is this,NO!

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by MJZoo
If what I believed was proven to be "wrong" then heck yes. If I believed Jesus was the son of God and someone proved it to be false then why would I continue believing that?

The belief system is so well rooted that even if you were to prove beyond a shadow of doubt to them that what they believed in was wrong, they would only think you were Satan tempting them. Because he is after all an amazing liar, and God did say that the temptations would be great.

It goes so much deeper than just providing evidence...first you'd have to be open minded enough to even hear the opposite side. In my experience I can't even get most Christians to get past the most basic step in challenging what they believe.

When you think about it, it is genius in keeping people locked into a belief system. Deny everything else you ever hear. I grew up in a very religious home, although non denominational, we were encouraged to not even interact with non christian people. Unless it was to convert them. Otherwise, forget about ever going to dinner or lunch with them. Off limits.

But I also think you cannot take the right of religion away from anyone. However, if it begins to encroach on somebody elses way of life, or in order to spread your religion you need to murder and conquer in the name of your god, then I believe there is a major problem, and it is not as innocent as people believe, but a means toward political advancement and personal gain.

It's amazing to me how people are able to justify the killing of others in the name of religion. And it's not just the Muslims who do this. Christian religion is so very much guilty of the same things, but people get so blinded to everything going on around them they cannot even see the damage they are causing due to their 'beliefs'. I always remember, you can't spell believe or belief without 'lie'

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

I would chose the who shall to get those deserving out of spiritual diseaster. Why those who chose not to accept have it there way...

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

This post may be a bit premature, but I'm almost certain it will be a seriously debatable topic within the next few months.

Accepting it or not, religion is a key element that gives conviction and vindication. I just read a topic on Muslims beheading children in Thailand [LINK]. Judaism and Christianity have been just as blood guilty. However, religion is still the moral foundation in many cultures.

When the time comes to choose "what" to believe, would you choose to discontinue your religion for the sake of peace? How close do you feel we are to the tipping point where we would choose humanity over religion?

edit on 11-5-2011 by CodeRed3D because: (no reason given)

I dont have to give up religion because i never excepted it in the the first place, but I would never deny Christ for the sake of anything.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
A word of advice to all:

Beliefs are dangerous.
It is much wiser to stick to PRINCIPLES rather than beliefs.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeReK DaRkLy

A word of advice to all:

Beliefs are dangerous.
It is much wiser to stick to PRINCIPLES rather than beliefs.

I like this.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by DeReK DaRkLy

I agree with the principle over mindset concept - however, there are some among us who have been taught certain - what they call "principles" - which are beliefs of lesser energy in disguise. For example - fear of lack can breed a truly greedy mindset-- someone in this energy pattern may believe their actions are based on family protection and support.

So I encourage everyone to follow your principles, but continue to grow by looking openly at what they stem from.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
religion is all that is good and righteouss to do. Think it right. Do your believes mismatch this then you aren't following the religion. What is still belief can become something known. And there is no religion without life.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
what i find repulsive is that some of the religious "leaders" are willing to give up the majority of humanity for their religion. which is antithetical to most religious beliefs.

like the people who wont stop certain events/people because they would have to happen to "herald the reutrn of a messiah". when in reality if we could all do whats right, we wouldnt have to have anyone come back to save us because we wouldnt need saving in the first place.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join