It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is time the enemy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I was just thinking a while about time. I think that people have a finite amount of time and because the amount of time is finite people do things and act as if they were under pressured. There are a lot of tasks that everyone has to do in our every day life and a limited amount of time to complete them. Two types of tasks exist. There are physical tasks (like work, going to school) and emotional/rational tasks (like thinking, feeling for others). Everyone has a limited amount and capacity to do the things that they want to do-- because time restricts them all. People say that as people get older time goes faster. So naturally, according to this logic older people would end up being more conservative and not try to do more things than they would in their youth. What can we do to make the passage of time an easier process? We see people act in the most inhumane way because they think they can either beat time or because they feel that they have nothing left to live for. Is time what causes people to act in irrational ways?

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
In my opinion people are generally trying to outrun their own thoughts and to overcome a sense they are missing something in their lives. In this modern world we are in a constant rush to get ahead to buy things and to achieve material wealth in the false belief that this will bring happiness.

Living a slower life allows you to reflect upon the past as well as contemplate the future. Taking time to turn inwards to mental and spiritual wealth inevitably brings a greater sense of accomplishment and inner peace than constantly looking outside ourselves for fulfilment.

Older people generally aren't more conservative because they are low on time, they look more to their inner selves because they have realised that although their material wealth may not have been what they dreamed of, there is still time for them to 'put their house in order'. They look back on their lives and acknowledge their achievements and failures and come to peace with their lives.
They know that materialism is fleeting and any indelible mark we leave will be spiritual.
They no longer have anything to prove, but much to teach and share.
Youth are the ones who need to step back and listen to what our elders have to say, as well as taking the time to reflect upon the condition of our own souls.

If you ask a youth what is really important in life, they will list their family very high. yet we still get caught in the trap of making more money, having a bigger house, a better job etc. and still fail to take the time to appreciate those things that really matter to us.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Not exactly time, but all the routines that we are forced to perform. There is no fluidity, no dynamicism.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Time: "What did I do wrong?"
Someone: "Just being Time"

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Time is the enemy if we believe in it. Would time ever have been invented if you were not required to work ???
Time controls us if we don't understand what time is.
Lets take time and have a look at what it actually consists of.
Time is distance, how long does it take to get from here to there=time.
Time is created when a thought appears. The thought yesterday and the thought tomorrow are no more than thoughts but they create the illusion of time.
Is it ever not now?
Is it ever 5 minutes from now, or is it always now?

The invention and belief of time takes us away from this eternal now.
Only the thinking mind knows of time. Although it does not 'know' time because time is no more than a fantasy, it onlt ever imagines it.
All stories start off 'Once upon a time....'. Stories can not exist without time.
The mind makes time up in it's head, but is time really real?

Time=distance. From here to there.
You can never ever be 'there'. 'There' is also a concept, something that has to be imagined because no matter where you are you are always located 'here' and 'now'.

edit on 8-5-2011 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I think in alot of ways time has a major impact in the way people choose to live their lives and the choices they make. ill put it this way, if you were told you only had 2 months left to live, do you live it up? or do you go to work the next day? personally, feeling time restricted id want to feel accomplished in my life and if that means skydiving, writing a book, or even attempting to infiltrate 'Area 51' then i say by all means!

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I don't think that is an enemy. I depends, how people decide to organize or how people decide to live their lives. Maybe sometimes a greater and greater ambition every times, makes your life feel faster. If you live a simpler life, it may feel slower.

top topics

join