It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sellafield nuclear site terror arrests made

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Hi all, just gearing up for bed when I noticed this on the BBC News website, and it's local news for me so I thought I would share.

It would appear that within hours of Usama Bin Laden being killed a bunch of Bangladeshi guys were caught photographing our (Cumbria) local nuclear dump. The same place that contains enough plutonium to make thousands, yes, THOUSANDS of nuclear weapons. Not to mention all the other crap in there, and they are one of the major producers / suppliers of MOX fuel.

Living within 20 miles of said dump, I'm quite nervous....anywhere the wind blows really does matter to me at this moment.

Source

Five men are being held under the Terrorism Act after being arrested close to the Sellafield nuclear site. The men, who are all from London and aged in their 20s, were arrested on Monday shortly after 1630 BST. The arrests were made after Civil Nuclear Constabulary officers conducted a stop check on a vehicle close to the Sellafield site, in Cumbria. The BBC understands the men were taking photographs and are all believed to be Bangladeshi.

And the scary bit:

Sellafield has a bunker that stores about 100 tonnes of plutonium, which experts say is enough to manufacture thousands of nuclear weapons.

I'm off to bed now folks (02:57am), I shall respond to any posts in the morning.

Goodnight.
edit on 3/5/11 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Very interesting. Glad they were arrested. It's people like this who keep the TSA and patriot act around. I just wonder if the terrorist attack in retaliation to Osama will be false flag, or legit. Keep us posted.

and best of luck hope nothing happens.
edit on 3-5-2011 by XxRagingxPandaxX because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
They were from LONDON...thought to be Bangladeshi...taking pictures...

Wonder if they would have been arrested if they were Japanese.

Nothing like a little racial profiling (yeah, even at a nuclear plant).

And...the "container" in their car was not found to have/have had any explosives.

Cops are jittery (understandable, with all the MSM/US "fear retribution" angle).

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
This is strange to me... how do they link some people taking pics of a nuclear waste dump to terrorists making nuclear weapons?

Maybe someone said " hey lets dump thousands of pounds of nuclear waste in this spot and watch all the terrorists flock to it, then we can just round them up easy like.. Because who in their right mind would even want to get close to a place like that unless they were conspiring to make a weapon? Hehe, actually that isn't too hard to believe after all..

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by XxRagingxPandaxX

Hopefully nothing will happen, it won't be them just walking in the main gates, it is one of the most secure places on the face of the planet, hell, they even have anti aircraft guns, I can't think of anywhere in the UK with that sort of armament.

I will update if any further information is made public.

reply to post by notsofunnyguy

I think everybody is jittery at the moment, although I think the racial profiling suggestion is a bit stretched, I mean, some guys, who are most likely of the Muslim faith (80% of Bangladesh is Muslim), in their 20's photographing one of the largest nuclear facilities in the world? I look at Sellafield at least once a week and I can honestly say there is nothing exciting to photograph, especially now they have tore the main cooling towers down. As for the package, it wasn't in the car, it was at a London address, "although the container is now not thought to have had explosives or hazardous material in it."

If it is innocent, it was a stupid move on the young lads parts.

reply to post by alienreality

Nobody was linking them taking photographs to people making weapons, they were emphasising the point that there is a lot of nasty stuff in the place. If the terrorists were going to do anything they would fly an aircraft into the big tanks filled with radioactive gas as I believe that is the only thing which isn't designed to take the impact of such an event.

Sellafield is responsible for the enrichment of materials used in the UK atomic weapons, as well as supplying MOX fuel to the likes of Japan. Waste material stored there has come from all round the world. If the terrorists wanted to cause mayhem, it's the perfect place to do it, providing they can get close.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I can see this place from MY HOUSE !!!!!!!!!!!!

NOT GOOD !!

Good old British police.
You get caught in the UK.
I cant remember a BIG case not being solved in the UK....

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Yep

A worry indeed!!

I have been put on alert myself alongside my colleagues for this very reason..

Not good..

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by shauny

Yeah, that is a small comfort, people complain about a big brother society in the UK, but are quick to praise when it benefits them personally.

I'm not saying the police or the law is perfect, but we would be a lot worse off without it.

By the way....how can you see Sellafield from Edinburgh????? LMAO, just curious, it says on your profile that's where you are, and Sellafields down here in Cumbria, at least 200 miles away! That being said I can see Scotland out of my window over the Solway Firth. :-p

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by BattleFieldPredator

Y'alreet Marra! Care to elaborate a bit more, or is it something you can't discuss on here?

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk

Y'alreet Marra! Care to elaborate a bit more, or is it something you can't discuss on here?

Yeah

can't discuss mate

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   

That's cool mate, fully understandable.

From the update in the news, the lads have been released without charge. But I think it is just the start in a long run of paranoia, both public and TPTB.

I still think it is highly suspicious that a group of Muslims were caught photographing such a sensitive and highly targetable site just hours after OBL was killed, but hey that's just me.

top topics

join