It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NOAA: Record 312 tornadoes in 24 hours last week

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

NOAA: Record 312 tornadoes in 24 hours last week

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON – Preliminary government estimates say there were more tornadoes in a single day last week than any other day in U.S. history.

Government analysts said Monday there were 362 tornadoes during last week's outbreak, including a record-setting 312 in one 24-hour period.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said the largest previous number on record in one event occurred from April 3-4, 1974, with 148 tornadoes.

NOAA says 340 people were killed during the 24-hour-period from 8:00 a.m. Wednesday to Thursday.

It was the deadliest single day for tornadoes since
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
There seems to be a number of record breaking stories going around, especially in regards to weather.

The death toll from the outbreak stands at 340, but there are still many people who are missing. The last I heard it was over 400 people missing, mostly in Alabama.

If all of the missing turn up dead, this will again be another record.

Was this a fluke event or will there be more like it in the near future?

news.yahoo.com

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
There were a lot of people in my area that are extremely lucky. Hopefully the death toll will not rise much more.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Oh my gosh! Something is going down soon. Thanks for sharing.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS

Was this a fluke event or will there be more like it in the near future?

i believe this is but a drop in the hat for what is to come. more rain coming soon (think it's already raining around mississippi area). all the rivers are either in flood stage or inches away. i live in atlanta and they have been cloud seeding heavy here lately. i bet that 340 in one big storm ain't nothin brother.

i bet there's gonna be a lot of ntaurally caused deaths very soon. this is gonna be a stormy season...

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
April was pretty out of control with tornodoes this year. I was looking at tornado records and I found this article.

www.weather.com...

May is the peak month for tornadoes.The average U.S. tornado count almost doubles from April to May.

So what should we expect this month?

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ucantcme

Well its 55 degrees In Louisiana and its 1738, not at all normal weather in May.

A good sign we will have some bad storms in the near future though. May might turn out to be terrible.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Government analysts said Monday there were 362 tornadoes during last week's outbreak, including a record-setting 312 in one 24-hour period.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said the largest previous number on record in one event occurred from April 3-4, 1974, with 148 tornadoes.

Holy cow!

312 in a day compared to the previous record of 148 in 2 days?

I live in north Texas and the weather has been pretty crazy lately here, but nothing compared to whats been going on east of me. I originally thought this weather was normal for this time of year, since Ive been living in this area for years now. But, after seeing the events in recent days, Im beginning to wonder if theres someting new going on.

I dont know whats going on, but are we going to be told all this is just "normal"?

new topics

top topics

join