It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wild Boars Invading Berlin

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I'm sure it's not really as funny as it sounds.

People in Berlin are growing used to the sight of wild boar in the streets, as increasing numbers of them come into the city to look for food.

Anyone caught feeding them is fined, special fences have been built to keep them out and the city has also had to employ a wild boar hunter to try to control them.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Go boars!

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
And they are radioactive:

As Germany's wild boar population has skyrocketed in recent years, so too has the number of animals contaminated by radioactivity left over from the Chernobyl nuclear meltdown. Government payments compensating hunters for lost income due to radioactive boar have quadrupled since 2007.

Source
edit on 2-5-2011 by HedyLamarr because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Your title made me imagine an onslaught of wild boar armed with assault rifles and rpgs

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
awesome vid!!!
thanks for the link.

i love crazy animals. i would never approach a wild animal, but i love seeing them run around.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by HedyLamarr

Geez, I didn't realize Chernobyl was spreading so far through such... varied mediums, I guess you'd say.

Thanks for that. So Berlin is being invaded by boars... that pose a nuclear threat.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
We have them here in Texas as well. Wild boar population here is estimated at over 1 million possibly close to 2 million. They're big, ugly, and if the pack is desperate enough or already has a taste for blood they will eat you. A pack of wild boars can eat a human; bones, blood, and all, in a matter of minutes without a trace. Some counties pay people to kill them because they are as much of a nuisance as they are dangerous. The males have long tusks that they use to root the ground up which often destroys crops and vegetation wherever they roam.

I know someone who regularly hunts them and uses the best part of the meat to cook with pinto beans. Pretty good stuff.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

I found an even more detailed article about radioactivity from Chernobyl and Japan contaminating soil and boars:

A quarter century after the Chernobyl nuclear disaster in the Soviet Union carried a cloud of radiation across Europe, these animals are radioactive enough that people are urged not to eat them. And the mushrooms the pigs dine on aren't fit for consumption either. Germany's experience shows what could await Japan — if the problems at the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant get any worse.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Sorry if this is a stupid question but color me ignorant. If these animals are radioactive why are they not seriously ill or outright dead or mutated into something unusual? They seen healthy and active. Was Ann Coulter right about radiation being good for us? (joke)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by SheeplFlavoredAgain

Some humans probably also are exposed to radiation and carry it around and don't even know about it. It takes so much to give you cancer, and even then it's a probability over time rather than an absolute. Some people (and animals) are just tougher than others I guess is the bottom line.

new topics

top topics

join