It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling all "Old Corp" Parris Island Marines!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Are you a Marine who hasn't done a whole lot of PT in the last 20, 30, or even 40 years? Do you have a little pouch? Even if you've kept up with some type of PT regimen, do you think that you could still pass the Confidence Course? Are "guts enough" as Gunny Hartman claimed in Full Metal Jacket? Do you still have it in you to "improvise, adapt, and overcome? I've often wondered if I could still do the things I did when I was 16 (that's right, I Audie Murphy'd my way in, joining days after my 16th birthday,) and so has my best, TOTALLY out of shape, brother Marine "Mooadieb."

We intend to ask the CG of Parris Island if we could come down for the day to relive former glory and take on the Confidence Course one last time. The "Insect Repellant" thread lit a bulb over my head: There are a LOT of former Marines here on ATS; I wonder if they would care to join us?

Well, would you? What do you think about the idea of a squad, or maybe even a platoon of former Marines storming the sandy shores of The Island? Any takers?

If you have the stones to give it a try leave your mark in this thread and I'll U2U details of any future expedition to reclaim our glorious youth.

Peace (through superior firepower)

OC

PS: "Hollywood Marines" need not apply.

ETA *I was only kidding about the "Hollywood Marines." Just make sure you bring your RayBans.

edit on 5/1/2011 by OldCorp because: "Hollywood Marines" ---

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

If you can get this done in P... Island, I wanna 'nother hard charging devil dog to pull this off at Pendleton with the Crucible. Course, we'd need THREE days for it, wouldn't we?

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arrowmancer
reply to post by OldCorp

If you can get this done in P... Island, I wanna 'nother hard charging devil dog to pull this off at Pendleton with the Crucible. Course, we'd need THREE days for it, wouldn't we?

OMFG!!! Brother, THANK YOU for the first belly laugh I've had in weeks!

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Im a hollywood, so Im sure the flat P.I. must be easier than the hills of pendleton we had to hump over.

I AM IN!!!! BUT.......we would probably look alot like a Tropic Thunder scene, wearing the fat body chowhall tag.
back in bootcamp I had double rats.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by rebeldog

Gah, double-rats... i was a diet recruit. Had to get a weight waiver to get in, got it, then went on baked, skinless chicken and half of chow. As I stood there starving, a double-rat stood next to me in the chow line and was ordered to remove half of mine and put it on his own tray.

After three months, I went from 240lbs to 157 lbs. And then I ate that bastard double-rat. More than a decade later, I'm still in good shape and think I'd do better in boot than I did when I went through the first time because of the weight and muscle. I'd really like to do SOI again. Some of the best times I had...

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by rebeldog
reply to post by OldCorp

Im a hollywood, so Im sure the flat P.I. must be easier than the hills of pendleton we had to hump over.

I AM IN!!!! BUT.......we would probably look alot like a Tropic Thunder scene, wearing the fat body chowhall tag.
back in bootcamp I had double rats.

Yeah, PI was pretty easy when it came to humping; the FLEET changed all that tho. I was station at Kaneohe Bay
and we had Mount Mother****er to deal with on a thrice weekly basis, AFTER running God knows how many miles on the beach (in combat boots.) Kay Bay had its perks - Tourist wahinis in Waikiki who were just drooling over the Marines stationed there, and beautiful weather year-round - but there was a price to pay for it.

As far as Tropic Thunder, speak for yourself. I weigh 4 pounds LESS than I did when I was 16. So THERE.

I'm gonna hit the rack my brethren. I have rug rats to get up for school in a few hours. I expect this thread to be filled with hard-chargin, concertina wire-chewing, gasoline drinking napalm-pissers ready to go into battle in the morning.

OOH RAH!!!
edit on 5/2/2011 by OldCorp because: Good Night Chesty, wherever you are. (You murdering bastad.)

edit on 5/2/2011 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

I personally could have spent my entire life stationed at Camp Smith HI. that place was sweet, combined with Manana housing in pearl city, right up the hill from the twin towers.. only thing I don't miss were the wind sprints we had to do up Kole' Kole' pass.. now that was cruel

to be a marine and get El Toro, Okinawa and Camp Smith within a five year period. How sweet and blessed. while others got lejuene and 29 palms...

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by rebeldog
reply to post by OldCorp

I personally could have spent my entire life stationed at Camp Smith HI. that place was sweet, combined with Manana housing in pearl city, right up the hill from the twin towers.. only thing I don't miss were the wind sprints we had to do up Kole' Kole' pass.. now that was cruel

to be a marine and get El Toro, Okinawa and Camp Smith within a five year period. How sweet and blessed. while others got lejuene and 29 palms...

Hey, at least in 29 Palms they got double occupancy air-conditioned rooms. The only thing I hated was waking up on a Sunday morning to a squadbay full of 60 sour-mash sodden, stinky-breathed Jarheads. Those boys liked their bourbon lemma tell ya. I was just getting used to coffee and beer.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
HEY!!!

Is that all? This is hardy a fire team. Keep it coming boys.

Y'aint skeered are ya?

edit on 5/3/2011 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

where is gunny highway when we need him. like in the beginning of hearthreak ridge where he throws the radio and rips stitch man's earring out. just to get everyone's attention.
also, i'd suspect there are some hollywoods who felt excluded by your title. I did but decided F-it. we are all Uncle Sam's Misguided Children..

could you chnage the P.I. part?

on another note, I live in Nc coastal plain area, what about an oohrah get together some time in the next year? of course I would welcome any member here as honorary devil pups.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Arrowmancer

what years were you in? never know who knows who

I joined in 1993.

top topics

join