It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The (two) most complicated watch(es) ever built - 1,483 components...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Well, in fact seems like that there are two very very complicated watches and, as I'm not at all an expert in this field, I'll briefly present both here...

1- The Patek Caliber 89

The World's Most Complicated Watch, the Yellow Gold Calibre 89 Patek Philippe - Genève is sold for a total of Sfr 5,120,000 to a private collector in Asia...
A spectacular and unique, keyless three-barrel, double dial, astronomical and astrological 18K yellow gold watch with sidereal time, second time zone, time of sunrise and sunset, equation of time, perpetual calendar, century leap year correction, century, decade and year indication, four year cycle indication, season, equinox, solstice and Zodiac indication, star chart, phases and age of the moon, date of Easter indication, split-seconds chronograph, hour and minute recorders, Westminster chime on four gongs, “Grande and Petite Sonnerie”, alarm, up/down indicators for the going and striking train, three way setting indicator, winding crown position indicator, thermometer and Tourbillon regulator.

Pfiou... It do not have an integrated metal detector, sorry...

Detailled explanations here

2- The Aeternitas mega 4

36 complications, 25 of them visible, 1,483 components, a 1000-year calendar, a price tag of 2.7 million dollars, and 5 years’ work; 99 jewels...
The glass sapphire case back enables the harmoniously chiselled and decorated pieces that overlap to be admired in a stunning combination as a dazzling ballet. This masterpiece of complications and know how was entirely designed and manufactured by the Franck Muller group and once again demonstrates their vast array of skills and ability in the Art of HAUTE HORLOGERIE.

Reference: 8888 MGA T CCR QPSE
Caliber: FM 3480 QPSE
Movement Mechanic Tourbillon, Carillon Westminster on 4 hammers and 4 gongs, Chronograph with fly-back mechanism and only one push-piece, Perpetual Calendar Secular, Equation of time, Two additional time zones, Automatic self-winding mechnanism for the movement and the Westminster carillon.

Full complications list and explanations here
edit on 1-5-2011 by elevenaugust because: spell

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
So...guess they haven't heard of DIGITAL technology, hunh?

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
What is even more impressive behind the mechanical watch is the human mind capable of conceiving and building it.

Now that is truly amazing!

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Sorry if im paying that much for a watch with that many moving parts inside, i at least want a skeleton case., dam if im paying for all those sprockets and cogs (see what i did there!!lol) just to hide them inside a solid back case...
like this one..
www.zeejia.com...
but hey give me a compass and a stick and im right

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
yes but can I browse ATS on it?

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

Thank you for the post. This is truly beautiful engineering.

My dad was a watchmaker (back when watches were mechanical) and I truly appreciate the genius of design and manufacture shown in these watches.

Sadly, it is most likely that I'll never be able to afford something like this.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
yet we are still using oil.................great watches. just wish advances in technology would be a little more useful for the public as to what gets disclosed and suppressed.

I mean.....like these watches are really in any way going to help humanity? But imagine what minds like this could produce to help us............

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I've known a few watch makers back when I was studying gemology and have seen some incredible stuff. But this is simply amazing work. Above and beyond anything I've ever seen.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   

A spectacular and unique, keyless three-barrel, double dial, astronomical and astrological 18K yellow gold watch with sidereal time, second time zone, time of sunrise and sunset, equation of time, perpetual calendar, century leap year correction, century, decade and year indication, four year cycle indication, season, equinox, solstice and Zodiac indication, star chart, phases and age of the moon, date of Easter indication, split-seconds chronograph, hour and minute recorders, Westminster chime on four gongs, “Grande and Petite Sonnerie”, alarm, up/down indicators for the going and striking train, three way setting indicator, winding crown position indicator, thermometer and Tourbillon regulator

Ok, I really do not want to offend, but they could have "just as easily as the others" include JUST ONE MORE feature. The biological clock of a woman's reproductive cycle.... With a big alarm on the uh, you know.. the day.

After that I can hear-by say it would be PERFECT.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
These have to be the Swiss Knives of Watches!

Can you imagine the troubles if one of those gears broke?! Incredible piece of engineering for sure!

join