It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret Island in the Atlantic ocean.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

sigh - how do you explain the centuries of maritime navigators - who have plyed the oceasns - rockall in the north atlantic is regularly visited by yatchsmen - and its < 20m across

and now for decades we have had private aviators - is EVERYONE in on the plot ?

a good example is the pumic raft from the pacific undersaes volvano - that was first sighted by yatchsmen a few years ago

the notion of " hidden islands " that no one can find is simplty silly

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

Oh come now mate, this is silly, a "secret island" under one of the world's most heavily traveled air lanes and along the most mapped portion of sea on earth? Really? I think not.

On the issue of the first map of yours, it was stated and I do confirm that the group that produced this is a for-profit conspiracy theory organization. They make things up to make money off of theorists. As another poster so rightly asked what on earth (or off it haha) are "Andromedan Sources" anyways?

Secondly on it, some of the "major underground tunnel entrances" are actually over locations of large civilian underground areas, such as the square over Montreal, Canada. There are also massive omissions of well known major underground military facilities on this map too. There are no squares at all over North Korea, which has been proven to have enormous underground bases. Also there is the issue of Europe. There is only a single square over what I think looks to be Switzerland, but no others? So there are no underground bases at all in the European Union? That's just foolishness.

Now let's look at the second map: First of all, it is far far from a good map by any means. Note what is missing: Greenland, Australia, and the entire Pacific Ocean! The portion of land where the Pacific should be is entirely a work of fiction, and the islands that do exist in the Atlantic are wildly out of proportion and placed thousands of miles from where they should be. Seriously if this is your grand connection to build a theory out of it is quite lacking.

On to the issue of the placement of this supposed "secret island": Where you believe this island may in fact be puts it under a principal flight corridor for air traffic between North America and Europe. I personally have flown over that spot countless times and not seen anything. Next, that spot is within a major sea-shipping lane, so you wish me to believe that with all of the trans-Atlantic trade shipping and yachting that nobody ever comes across this spot? Finally, after the early 1500s, the square that is in question would have been passed regularly by British fishing ships which worked the Grand Bank off of Canada.

What I am trying to show here OP, is that your maps are suspect at best, if not outright terrible sources, and the location you are trying to claim could easily just get lost in the vastness of the Atlantic, is in fact one of the most heavily traveled parts of sea in the world, and has been for the last 500 years. This is a classic case of trying to find a conspiracy in the face of reality. Remember, we theorists are to be the ultimate skeptics first, then and only then can we find the truth.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I have come across stories talking about a fabled island thought to be in that area. Some would call it Avalon, Hyperborea, etc. This is a very interesting find! S&F

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Rezwar

that

Could you be looking for the Faroe Islands?
They're tiny, listed as west of British Isles and west of Spain

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Interesting, i often wondered how Charles Linderburgh flew across the atlantic in such a small aircraft with limited speed altitude and fuel capacity it made me think how there must have been an aircraft carrier or something in the mid atlantic as resupply base.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I think I may have solved this enigma by accident. I remembered this thread when viewing photographs of the ocean floor. The link below clearly shows the Atlantic Ocean floor bottom with the Mid-Atlantic Ridge in relief.

www.sciencephoto.com...

You can clearly see what appear to be a series of islands moving up the spine of the ridge. One could suppose quite rightly that with the ebb and flow of tides, volcanic activity and undersea earthquakes, islands could appear and disappear with alarming regularity.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by fritz
I think I may have solved this enigma by accident. I remembered this thread when viewing photographs of the ocean floor. The link below clearly shows the Atlantic Ocean floor bottom with the Mid-Atlantic Ridge in relief.

www.sciencephoto.com...

You can clearly see what appear to be a series of islands moving up the spine of the ridge. One could suppose quite rightly that with the ebb and flow of tides, volcanic activity and undersea earthquakes, islands could appear and disappear with alarming regularity.

*Sheds Tear* Basic scientific methods at work and shining in their finest glory. Short concise and very logical and probable. Nicely done and thanks for sharing the knowledge.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by topherman420
*Sheds Tear* Basic scientific methods at work and shining in their finest glory. Short concise and very logical and probable. Nicely done and thanks for sharing the knowledge.

Thank you. But I must say I have been known to be wrong on many occasions and hopefully, this just may prove to be one of those times.
edit on 03/07/10 by fritz because: My post did not look right.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
gotta love the ignorance of some posters who say "oh it's out in the ocean...no way they would put a military base out there...don't be silly"...I mean...why would the military want a military base far away from civilization and people to do whatever they want...that's just silly...

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
The 16th century map may possibly be illustrating the mythical island of hy-brasil. Lots of maps of this era had this on them. Just a possibility:

Hy-Brasil

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by fritz

Originally posted by topherman420

Thank you. But I must say I have been known to be wrong on many occasions and hopefully, this just may prove to be one of those times.
edit on 03/07/10 by fritz because: My post did not look right.

Hey, I think its naive to say not to expect scientific logic to be wrong cause it can be....but, its all about proof leverage and logical conclusions based on observations. You used the same methods as the OP and your point is much more plausible in my eyes. But like you said who knows, someone may have an even more logical opinion then yours.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Morgil
The 16th century map may possibly be illustrating the mythical island of hy-brasil. Lots of maps of this era had this on them. Just a possibility:

Hy-Brasil

Neat, learned something new today. Thanks for the links, explains a bit more of this.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMajestic
Interesting, i often wondered how Charles Linderburgh flew across the atlantic in such a small aircraft with limited speed altitude and fuel capacity it made me think how there must have been an aircraft carrier or something in the mid atlantic as resupply base.

Wait what? The Ryan NYP or "Spirit of St. Louis" is one of the most famous and written about planes on earth. It was specifically designed for the flight and was a "N-X" experimental registry aircraft. The NYP was very advanced for the time, being an incredibly lightweight design with a very low wing loading and had a very reliable fuel-efficient engine.

Even the most basic research, like reading the Wikipedia article about the plane would have put your wonder to rest. I don't really see how any of this fits into evidence for a secret island when the design of the NYP itself makes it perfectly clear that the plane was very well suited to Lindbergh's flight.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
The thing about islands is that they are “there” and no matter how secret you want them to be, they will always be in the way of maritime traffic. The problem with sticking an island to the west of the UK is that there is rather a lot of maritime traffic.

It would not be secret because if it was not on any chart, it would have been collided into. Just consider the amount of traffic between Europe and North America at this very moment in time. Then consider the traffic over the last 100 years. It would have been perfectly positioned in WW2 as an anti-submarine base – but no, it was secret!

You could not keep a sandbank secret, let alone an island.

Is this really serious? Has anyone who thinks there is an island actually thought this one through?

Regards

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Is it Tracy Island ?
Skull Island ?
No wait
It's
Fantasy Island !
Le Plane Le Plane !

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

My firends of ATS I am NOT BRAGGING HERE BUT:

While in the US Coast Guard I worked at CAMSPAC. command area master station pacific. Everyone there had to have T.S. level sec/clearances.

let me just say this (as Im not ready to be renditioned). there ARE secret islands in both the atlantic and pacific oceans. which are being monitored to ensure NO SHIPS go anywhere NEAR them. and the airspace is highly retricted.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
blog.strangenewsdaily.net...

The mysterious island of Hy-Brasil: The ‘other’ Atlantis
On January 20, 2011, in Legends & Folklore, People & Places, UFO's & Aliens, by James

It is undisputed that the most famous ‘lost island’ is Atlantis. But there is another island which is just as mysterious called Hy-Brasil.
The island is said to be located to the west of Ireland and is known as Hy-Brasil in Irish mythology.

Hy-Brasil (also spelled Hy-Breasal, Hy-Brazil, Hy-Breasil, Brazir) may also be responsible for the naming of the country we know today as Brazil.
According to legends of long ago, Hy-Brasil was a secret land once ruled by priests. These priests held the secrets to the universe and had access to ancient, but powerful knowledge. In folklore, this island country takes its name from Breasal, the High King of the World, in Celtic history.
The island is said to be cloaked in mist, except for one day each seven years, when it became visible but could still not easily be reached.
Over the centuries a number of maps have charted the position of the island. On maps, the island was shown as being circular, often with a central strait or river running east-west across its diameter.
A Catalan map from around 1480 labels two islands “Illa de brasil”, one to the south west of Ireland and the other south of “Illa verde” or what is now known as Greenland.
There have been numerous expeditions in the past to search for this mythical land. One expedition in 1497 was led by John Cabot. He reported that he had found the land and it had been “discovered in the past by the men from Bristol who found Brasil”.
Some historians note that the renowned navigator Pedro Alvarez Cabral also claimed to have reached the island during his voyages in the 1500′s.
The 1600′s had a wealth of reports about the island. In 1674 a Captain John Nisbet and his crew were in familiar waters off the west coast of Ireland. They were enshrouded in fog.
As the fog lifted, they saw that they were close to an island, so anchored in three fathoms of water.
According to reports, four crew members took a small boat and landed on the island. They spent a day there before returning laden with gold and silver. They claimed that an old man who lived on the island had given it to them as a gift.
When they returned to Ireland, a second ship under the command of Alexander Johnson set out to find the island. According to reports of the time, they too found an hospitable island and returned to confirm the previous report.
In 1684, in a book called ‘A Chorographical Description of West or H-Iar Connaught’ mentions an encounter with the island:

“There is now living, Morogh O’Ley (Murrough O Laoi), who imagins he was personally on O’Brasil for two days, and saw out of it the iles of Aran, Golamhead, Irrosbeghill, and other places of the west continent he was acquainted with.”

The last sighting of the island occured in 1872. Author T. J. Westropp and several companions claim to have seen the island appear and then vanish. According to reports this was the third time that the author had seen Hy-Brasil and had brought his mother and companions to witness it for themselves.
The island was once again brought into the public mind in late 2010 with a TV series revelation.
In 1980 Sgt Jim Penniston was stationed at Brentwaters military base. During the UFO incident in Rendlesham Forest, he claims that he touched a UFO and telepathically received a message in the form of binary code, which he wrote down in a small note book shortly after the incident, telling no one about it for three decades.
On the History Channel program ‘Ancient Aliens’ this binary was said to have been decoded by Internet programmer Nick Ciske.
Below the decoded message followed the navigational co-ordinates of an area off the west of Ireland which correlates to the site of Hy-Brasil.
The decoded message read:
Exploration of Humanity Continuous For Planetary Advance
52° 09′ 42.532″ N
13° 13′ 12.69″ W
So, did / does Hy-Brasil actually exist?
Some people claim that what people are acutally seeing is an area near Ireland called the Porcupine Bank.
Porcupine Bank is an area of the Irish shelf approximately 200 kilometers west of Ireland. The relatively raised area of seabed lies between the deep-water Porcupine Seabight and Rockall Trough.
The northern and western slopes of the bank feature species of cold-water corals.
Could it be possible that during times of extreme spring tides that this Bank is epxosed to the surface of the sea? As early as 1870 a paper was read to the Geological Society of Ireland suggesting this identification.
If so, this could explain the reports of land which subsequently disappear quite quickly.
Of course another possible theory is that Hy-Brasil is in fact the lost realm of Atlantis which was said to be situated beyond the Pillars of Hercules (Gibraltar).
The supposed location of Hy-Brasil is indeed beyond the Pillars and therefore fits into the Atlantis location as mentioned by Plato. Is this enough to say that they are one and the same? Certainly the location and the mythology would agree.
HY-BRASAIL, THE ISLE OF THE BLEST
On the ocean that hollows the rocks where ye dwell
A shadowy land has appeared, as they tell;
Men thought it a region of sunshine and rest,
And they called it Hy-Brasail, the isle of the blest.
From year unto year on the ocean’s blue rim,
The beautiful spectre showed lovely and dim;
The golden clouds curtained the deep where it lay,
And it looked like an Eden away, far away!
A peasant who heard of the wonderful tale,
In the breeze of the Orient loosened his sail;
From Ara, the holy, he turned to the west,
For though Ara was holy, Hy-Brasail was blest.
He heard not the voices that called from the shore–
He heard not the rising wind’s menacing roar;
Home, kindred, and safety he left on that day,
And he sped to Hy-Brasail, away, far away!
Morn rose on the deep, and that shadowy isle,
O’er the faint rim of distance, reflected its smile;
Noon burned on the wave, and that shadowy shore
Seemed lovelily distant, and faint as before;
Lone evening came down on the wanderer’s track,
And to Ara again he looked timidly back;
O far on the verge of the ocean it lay,
Yet the isle of the blest was away, far away! p. 248
Rash dreamer, return! O ye winds of the main,
Bear him back to his own peaceful Ara again,
Rash fool! for a vision of fanciful bliss,
To barter thy calm life of labor and peace.
The warning of reason was spoken in vain;
He never revisited Ara again!
Night fell on the deep, amidst tempest and spray,
And he died on the waters, away, far away!
From Tales of the Enchanted Isles by Dorothy P. Lathrop (1926)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ProjectJimmy

Perhaps you can also explain this map (circa 1774) which shows an Island to the NORTH of the Azores, although it does appear to be south of the area that OP is interested in. Approx - 45 degN by 25deg W. Is this some type of symbol used in cartography or does it designate a land mass?

www.libs.uga.edu...

Here's a nice one showing the Mid Atlantic Ridge (1968) courtesy National Geographic.

maps.nationalgeographic.com...

edit on 2-5-2011 by drblair because: re-phrase

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
just thinking that with this being off the West coast of Ireland, read a few of the existing threads bout Atlantis being where the now Faroe islands are, they are quite a good read and makes a lot of sense...

(by the way the Faroe Islands are located off the West coast of Ireland, and it has been surmised that Faroe islands are the tips of the Northern Mountain ranges in Atlantis.) like i said they make a good read...

Just my thoughts is all...

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Not to stray too far off topic, but one of the dots on the first map (Andromeda reference) seems to be in Switzerland. If you have some details on that one, I might find out more about it as I live in Switzerland. Maybe I can even find a clue that references to that island when I have something to dig after.

And I would need something more than just "it's a tunnel in Switzerland" as Switzerland is hollowed out like Swiss cheese ;-) I will need some specific Details. Maybe I can even find an old bunker installation from WW2 or the cold war ;-)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join