It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robot workers are coming for your job!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
According to ScienceDaily, NASA and General Motors are working together to accelerate development of the next generation of robots and related technologies for use in the automotive, aerospace and manufacturing industries.

That's right -- robots!

We're not talking about mechanical arms that spotweld frames either. These new robots resemble humans and have human-like arms and hands that can be programmed to function just like -- or even better than -- "real" workers. With today's computers and fast processors, these robots can be programmed to make decisions, change tools and assemble intricate parts at a higher speed and with less errors than a human being.

Engineers and scientists from NASA and GM worked together through a Space Act Agreement at the agency's Johnson Space Center in Houston to build this first humanoid robot capable of working in the automotive and aerospace factories of the very near future, but minor adaptations could utiliza these robots in virtually any manufacturing environment.

This cutting-edge robotics technology holds great promise, not only for NASA, but also for the nation. I'm very excited about the new opportunities for human and robotic exploration these versatile robots provide across a wide range of applications." -- Doug Cooke, associate administrator for the Exploration Systems Mission Directorate at NASA Headquarters in Washington

NASA and General Motors have come together to develop the next generation dexterous humanoid robot workers. The robots -- called Robonaut2 -- were designed to use the same tools as humans.

This effort will allow GM and other industries to replace hundreds or thousands of skilled assembly and manufacturing workers with robots that have the same manual dexterity as humans. The advantages to the corporate world and their profits is enormous. The downside is obvious. Unemployment will not recover for hese jobs and the leverage that unions once had in securing benefits such as health care and retirement will be lost. It will be more efficient and less expensive to use a robot than to employ a real human.

This is just fantasy?

The recent Supreme Court ruling that gives corporations the green light to spend ANY amount of funds to influence laws and political elections almost guarantees that this type of automation will be implemented. The shift towards "profit rights" and away from "human rights" has already been started, and cannot legally be reversed. One can only imagine what type of future our children, and their children, will inherit.

What's your opinion on this?

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by romka71

Not mine.

My job was outsourced to "Team India" last August.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by romka71

Its inevitable, you can't stop it.

As technology improves, workers will be replaced by machines so companies can make more money. You don't have to pay a machine, and they don't beg you for benefits.

Whether people realize it or not, money is going to be a thing of the past someday.

This is not necessarily a bad thing, and I personally feel that technology should be applied to every aspect of human life to improve it.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
You know, I actually hope this happens sooner rather than later.

Then maybe the hackers can program "skynet" to use the robots against TPTB.

Yes, sometimes I dream while I type. So what?

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
IRL, I''ve always told my eager-beaver trainees and jaded veterans alike: "Just as soon as they figure out how to replace us with robots - they will."

And everyday that reality is closer.
edit on 30/4/2011 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Fights nicely with the NWOs depopulation plan... if robots can evolve to do the jobs of the middle class... those people stop producing and just comsume. There are only so mamy resources to go around.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Solly to hear about that outsourcing...
the robots are coming for their jobs...

There is a certain creativity that machines can't match...
when that creativity is no longer a job requirement...
look out...

add to kissinger's comment
"oil controls countries, food controls people..."
electricity controls robots...

pS I have read about a robot that runs on protein..it was designed to eat the dead....
as if it will matter to the robot whether or not its food is dead.....
edit on 30-4-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

link   
workers are consumers

no workers, no consumers

no consumers, no profit !

the robot thing could work in a non-profitable society however; and how nice it would be to be free from work ...

link   
Well, when robots can make practical decisions, I guess I will be in trouble. When a robot can rip up a floor, and tell the owner wether they need to replace just the flooring, or the flooring, plywood and rafters, then I will be in trouble. When a robot can read blueprints, and build a house, then I will be in trouble. If a robot can help me lift heavy ass 3/4 inch plywood up, and heavey ass 16 foot 2x10 beams, then robot will be my buddy.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by romka71

You are forgetting something my dear. If they took away all of our jobs and we had no way of producing money, what the world would the robots be working for? Because if we dont make money some how, no one will buy their goods.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by romka71

OH NO! What are all the Mexicans going to do?

Sorry could not help myself since well, we know no one is damn hiring US citizens anymore. Because apparently we won't do the work. So now it's what the Mexicans don't want the jobs either?

edit on 30-4-2011 by ldyserenity because: spelling

edit on 30-4-2011 by ldyserenity because: spelling again

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by XmikaX

Well I guess you beat me to it. Oops. I agree with you my dear!

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
pssst hey meester wanna buy an illegal robot...?
it not only does the carpet.....

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
IRL, I''ve always told my eager-beaver trainees and jaded veterans alike: "Just as soon as they figure out how to replace us with robots - they will."

And everyday that reality is closer.

An intelligent reply by a ATS mod!!! something you don't see here very often.

Anyways I post this article a lot on forums i've frequented over the years.

Why the future doesnt need us

Follow the link to the full article.

edit on 30-4-2011 by Count Chocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Robots have been taking our jobs for years, people go call the unemployed lazy etc but the truth is it is just a matter of time before we are all unemployed - so at what point do we stop blaming the people for problems the companies are creating.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Some people are missing the point... we won't have to buy anything because we, average humans, will be eliminated. Once robots have the ability to do what we do, we are expendable to TPTB. Its our tax dollars that makes them wealthy, its our job to grow, kill, cook and deliver their meals to them. If they kill off the working class, money is obsolete because all thats left is the wealthy and the robots will serve them.

Honestly, these people have the means to take over the planet for thier own good. Start wars, build earthquake machines and weather munipulators. Kill millions while safe in your underground bunker. Rebuild the planet with cyborgs and the remaning 50-100,000 live like kings with every technological advantage. Maybe we are a few generations from it, but its not as crazy as it sounds.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by romka71

These new robots resemble humans and have human-like arms and hands that can be programmed to function just like -- or even better than -- "real" workers. With today's computers and fast processors, these robots can be programmed to make decisions, change tools and assemble intricate parts at a higher speed and with less errors than a human being.

Nice thread romka71. Did you notice how I put what you posted above in external content quote tags? That's what you're supposed to do with what you posted as your thread here. A link is then to be provided either at the beginning or end of the external content so that we see where you obtained your information from. Like this.

www.viewzone.com...

Otherwise we think that you wrote the whole article yourself and it is your material to begin with. Is this the case?

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Yeah, I see your point. Look at all those jobs automobiles cut. Same with television. Same with computers. Same with the internet. It's impossible that these technologies would replace those old jobs with new jobs. It's preposterous to claim that some jobs can continue alongside these evil automatons from the future.
edit on 30-4-2011 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join