It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Difference in Cultures - Japan and the United States

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Survivors guard against looters

Aftermath of all the tornadoes that hit the states...

Robert Gentry stands guard over the house he grew up in.

He no longer lives at the home on a lane named after his family. At this point, no one lives there.

The house — bought last fall by Gentry’s sister and her husband, Lisa and Larry Walters — became unlivable a couple of days ago when a tornado ripped through, knocking down trees, shattering windows, warping metal.

On Thursday, a carload of people pulled down the lane, and Gentry, a Cleveland police officer in the late 1970s, asked what they were doing.

“We’re just looking,” the woman replied.

Gentry clicked back into cop mode.

“Well, we don’t need people looking. You can turn right around,” he said.

Even though the house is wrecked, Gentry is protecting it from looters and gawkers, some of whom come armed with cameras to permanently save the ruin. The Gentry siblings have taken turns policing the street while other family members cut up downed trees and unload items from the small white-frame home.

I know some are taking looting seriously.

Alleged looter shot and killed in Huntsville

www.waff.com...

To me this is so sad....in Japan, no looting, people helping one another....while in the US, people have to guard their property from looters and leeches. With the economy still falling, wonder what is going to happen when we have a SHTF event.
edit on 30-4-2011 by MidnightTide because: mods - move this if in the wrong section....

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
Survivors guard against looters

Aftermath of all the tornadoes that hit the states...

Robert Gentry stands guard over the house he grew up in.

He no longer lives at the home on a lane named after his family. At this point, no one lives there.

The house — bought last fall by Gentry’s sister and her husband, Lisa and Larry Walters — became unlivable a couple of days ago when a tornado ripped through, knocking down trees, shattering windows, warping metal.

On Thursday, a carload of people pulled down the lane, and Gentry, a Cleveland police officer in the late 1970s, asked what they were doing.

“We’re just looking,” the woman replied.

Gentry clicked back into cop mode.

“Well, we don’t need people looking. You can turn right around,” he said.

Even though the house is wrecked, Gentry is protecting it from looters and gawkers, some of whom come armed with cameras to permanently save the ruin. The Gentry siblings have taken turns policing the street while other family members cut up downed trees and unload items from the small white-frame home.

I know some are taking looting seriously.

Alleged looter shot and killed in Huntsville

www.waff.com...

To me this is so sad....in Japan, no looting, people helping one another....while in the US, people have to guard their property from looters and leeches. With the economy still falling, wonder what is going to happen when we have a SHTF event.

Interesting that you brought that up, and a look into the U.S.' everyman/woman for him/herself sort of mentality.

While im not saying canada is the same or even different from the U.S., i thought id share a video on someone stopping a looter at the g 20 summit.

What makes a person in that moment decide to take matters into their own hands, or just leave it be. I honestly cant say what i would do in that situation, although i would like to imagine i would stay clear of such nonesense.

What the hell makes us do things like that? Society is interesting.

edit on 30-4-2011 by topherman420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I am just using the states as the primary example, I do not doubt the same would happen in Canada.

Not trying to make a Canada vs States thread.
edit on 30-4-2011 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
I am just using the states as the primary example, I do not doubt the same would happen in Canada.

Not trying to make a Canada vs States thread.
edit on 30-4-2011 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

Thats why I had stressed that in the beginning, hoping that using a video from canada wouldnt incite that. What I do find interesting is the different mindsets people have during situations like that and what one of us would actually do if confronted with a looter and/or be confronted with an opprotunity to loot. Would we do what this guy did and stop it? Would we just walk away since its technically not your problem? What would make one do so one way or another? Alot of questions come to mind.

top topics

join