It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

And now let me introduce you to - Devil Doll

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

"A man is less likely to become great the more he is dominated by reason: few can achieve greatness – and none in art – if they are not dominated by illusion." - Mr. Doctor

I'll give you a heads up off the bat - this music will likely NOT be for everyone!

But, I didn't find much mention of them on ATS and as they are one of the strangest bands I've even run across, with some of the most hauntingly disturbing yet strange and beautiful music I've heard, I decided to pass them along.

Devil Doll is summed up thus:

Devil Doll is an Italian-Slovenian experimental rock band formed in 1987 by the mysterious "Mr. Doctor". The band has gained a cult following, taking influences from gothic rock, classical and slavonic folk music, and fronted by the sprechgesang of Mr. Doctor himself. Devil Doll albums were all released on small labels in limited quantities. The band is notable for very lengthy epics, none under 20 minutes and one that nearly enters the 80 minute mark.

Perhaps I'm just not familiar enough with any other experimental musicians, but there is a level of high strangeness to them. Their first album The Mark of the Beast exists only as a single copy - the cover painted by "Mr. Doctor" himself - and resides in his possession.

Their second album was produced in a lot of 500 copies...

of which only 150 were released. These were distributed out amongst the audience of the second live performance of the composition (the first had occurred before the pressing of the album), each with a unique inlay created by Mr. Doctor. Some of these inlays were written in his own blood. The remaining 350 copies of the album were destroyed by Mr. Doctor once he returned home.

They are...quite possibly...evil or alien, take your pic. And perhaps it shouldn't, but the music fascinates me. They bring in symphonies, orchestras, guitar riffs and the sprechgesang of the mad doctor - who, incidentally, managed to keep his actual identity from the public for 20 years until he revealed himself as Mario Panciera. They are adored in certain progressive rock circles for their eclectic and 'unique' music, and will likely always remain in my collection for some sick reason.

Anyway, for your pleasure - or discomfort - here is Devil Doll. Check them out and provide your thoughts, but be warned in advance - you might find this disturbing!

The Girl who was Death:

Sacrilegium:

The Sacrilege of Fatal Arms:

Dies Irae:

Welcome to the Doctor's madhouse!

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
So is the secret that they are devils, or dolls, or that few have heard of them? Or is this just a way to promote the band? I haven't heard of them, but will check it out just for the sake of dolls who are devils, or vica versa.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

I'm not aware of there being any secret here, other than they're so obscure.

I'm just passing along since it seems like EVERYTHING has a thread on ATS and I figured people who don't know might enjoy them as much as I do.

new topics

join