It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7 People 'Burnt to Death' Over Pollution Caused by Stone Crushing Plant in India

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Seven 'burnt to death' following violent protest over pollution caused by stone crushing plant in India

Article Link
Posted: April 30, 2011

Police in eastern India are investigating the death of seven people after claims that they were burnt to death by local protesters.

Authorities reported that villagers who were demonstrating about dust and noise pollution caused by a stone crushing plant were responsible for the deaths.

The victims who included three owners of the plant and four of its employees were caught-up in an armed outburst that broke out in the remote Bandaguda village in Orissa state.

Since the crusher was set up a year ago on the village outskirts, about 250 miles (400 kilometers) from the state capital of Bhubaneswar there has been mounting tension over pollution issues.

Many in the region have complained that the facility is noisy and fills the air with dust as it smashes boulders and rocks for material used in making cement and other building materials.

There have also been complaints from workers at the plant who claim they are not paid on time or in full.

Now that is some crazy news coming from a growing economy. Shocking to say the least.

Mod Note (This Appears On Every New Thread/Post Reply Page):
Please make sure every post matters.
Refrain from 1-line or very-minimal responses.
Edit-down your quoted posts to the important part.
Don't use "txting" shorthand in posts.
Use snippets and links for external content.
Provide meaningful comments for links, pictures, and videos.

Mod Note: Starting A New Thread ?... Look Here First.
edit on Sat Apr 30 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

Care to give your opinion and something more than "its just crazy."

Again no offense but you seem to just be posting random threads without any real research or anything into the subject. Don't you want to have a conversation about your threads or are you just looking for flags and attention?

I am not picking on you it's just hard when I see you post a new thread every few mins while in chat.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

You are right...I am in the midst of studying for a final exam and during my breaks I like to go online and hunt for the latest news or whatever is out there. But with that said, I will add my following view point in this thread.

I found this to be of particular interest. I am just finishing my business degree in accounting and have studied quite a bit on manufacturing plants which include the production of goods from raw materials. It is hard for some people in countries to understand the byproducts (such as pollution) are also produced as a result of harvesting resources from the earth (for instance in excavation or stone crushing plant).

For a country that is growing rapidly in terms of economics, and corporations investing into India where the local population is dependent on these businesses in providing jobs, unfortunately, not everyone would be in favour of such a move. In fact, as we read, the local community has been hit by pollution (not just noise from conveyor belts, but from the dust that is produced from such a harvest).

So, in turn, if these villagers are protesting about this operation and its pollutants, I strongly disagree that burning the owners and employees to death was the way to go. Obviously there must be some monopolistic power that overshadows the community to vote on what should be allowed into their communities. Since their voices are not hear, I suspect they are resorting to violence.

I hope that the situation in India does get resolved and I hope those who did the violent crime are punished.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Damn I thought the enviromental groups were bad in the USA. I think this is what happens when govt.'s wont regulate corporations and people have to take matters into there own hands. I bet this scares the hell out of the corporate big wigs.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
My apologies for going off-topic, but I cannot help it.

Could you imagine if they replaced the conveyor belt with roller coaster tacks?
This would be the baddest Roller Coaster ever!!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c42a08b82e81.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Agreed, off topic post. But I get what you are saying and yes, it would be one hell of a ride

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by lokdog
Damn I thought the enviromental groups were bad in the USA. I think this is what happens when govt.'s wont regulate corporations and people have to take matters into there own hands. I bet this scares the hell out of the corporate big wigs.

Let's hope it makes them think twice- at least.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by lokdog

What would you do if some stranger came into your house and poured arsenic in your water supply? Or sprayed pesticide on the food in your refrigerator?

That's exactly what polluting companies are doing. But since you don't see these guys actually doing it - (you just suffer the consequences-silently) they are able to get away with it.

But seriously, in the 'stranger' scenario, what would you do? Would you shoot them? Beat them up? Or just sit on the sofa and watch TeeVee?
edit on 3-5-2011 by Stratus9 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join