It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar Energy Breakthrough Could Render Photovoltiac Cells Obsolete

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
www.activistpost.com...
Researchers in Michigan found a way to make an "optical battery" turning over a centuries held tenet of physics.
Light has electric and magnetic components and until now it has been believed the magnetic componet was far too weak and thus could be ignored. Apparently these resesrchers figured out a way to generate magnetic effects that are one hundred million times stronger then previously expected. Great article.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by gem_man

But will we ever see the benefits?

I keep hearing about all these whiz bang ideas but I'm still paying outrageous prices for electricity and fuel..

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
I wonder what would happen if you subjected these cells to a strong magnetic field without any light.

Would the still work.

I know where to find a strong magnetic field that is still there at night.

farm4.static.flickr.com...

I am looking for something to put on a motor-home when traveling.

If these would run on a strong magnetic field without any light i could just park under power lines at night and have power.

by the way i have been looking at a unit using transformer effect to charge my motor home batteries from power lines without physically connecting to the lines.

I have built a coil type unit that will light a 4 foot florescent tube just on transformer effect.

i did that 40 years ago and almost got arrested for stealing power even though there was no connection just tapping the magnetic field put off by the 22 KV power-lines

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
The patent should only be awarded to the first company to produce a product that can be mounted to the roof of a home and provide enough energy to power that home without the home being connected to the power grid and sale ten million units. Nobody should be rewarded for good ideas, they should only be rewarded for marketable products. I am sick of hearing about IDEAS that just vanish. Give me something that I can use and then I will be impressed.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by JPeveto4
The patent should only be awarded to the first company to produce a product that can be mounted to the roof of a home and provide enough energy to power that home without the home being connected to the power grid and sale ten million units. Nobody should be rewarded for good ideas, they should only be rewarded for marketable products. I am sick of hearing about IDEAS that just vanish. Give me something that I can use and then I will be impressed.

Indeed. Perhaps an X Prize award of $10 Million for a working ready for market demonstrator.

If I am reading this article correctly, they are talking about translucent material that generates a magnetic field in the presence of light. If that can really be worked out and made ready, that would be astounding. Every single window becomes a power supply in theory.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

What you want to do sounds oddly like what Tesla claimed he was able to accomplish. Wireless electricity would be outstanding. Imagine how much money you could save in new construction by not having to wire buildings, at least to the extent we do now. No outlets etc.

top topics

join