It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

earthquake rattles minnesota

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by marriah3330
Just wanted to put this out there especially to the ones that say, "earth quakes happen all the time." Well there has been an abnormal number, though my professor said that nothing was mentioned whether or not the LARGER quakes have increased. She also said its "not a matter of if, but when," the big one hits here on the west coast.
Peace,
Marriah

Saying the 'big one' will hit the west coast is nothing new. People have been saying this for a century, at least. It's hardy a 'prediction' as much as an inevitability. And considering the 'west coast' extends from Alaska to Mexico, it's a pretty vague one.

As for your professor's claim that quakes are increasing, did she provide you with some data showing this?

Because earthquakes have been happening since the earth was formed.
edit on 30-4-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
Just caught the morning headlines... A 6.2 hit Panama this morning. Seems to be more and more of the earthquake there, then one over here, one down there, and one up over there...

Yeah Iris is lit up like a christmas tree today

www.iris.edu...

The ones in Baja California interest me the most... been shaking for weeks and there was the fish kill and methane released from a mud volcano of Redondo Beach... That is an area to keep an eye on

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds
reply to post by cloaked4u

You keep saying there are 'more earthquakes' now.

Can you prove this?

I can't prove it, but if you read my post from above, my professor who got received her doctorate in biology from Harvard University has friends in the USGS and told the whole class during lecture a month ago that there ARE MORE EQ's going on. Just read post above so I'm not repeating here. So basically, according to the USGS, which are some of her colleagues have discussed with her the increase, for sure.
Peace,
Marriah

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Just wanted to put this out there especially to the ones that say, "earth quakes happen all the time." Well there has been an abnormal number, though my professor said that nothing was mentioned whether or not the LARGER quakes have increased. She also said its "not a matter of if, but when," the big one hits here on the west coast.
Peace,
Marriah

Saying the 'big one' will hit the west coast is nothing new. People have been saying this for a century, at least. It's hardy a 'prediction' as much as an inevitability. And considering the 'west coast' extends from Alaska to Mexico, it's a pretty vague one.

As for your professor's claim that quakes are increasing, did she provide you with some data showing this?

Since my professor is a Marine biologist and accredited within the science community and has colleagues with the USGS, thats info I take seriously, its a marine biology class and during lecture she doesn't always show data. Her name is Gretchen Rollwagen-Bollens, google her if you want, what are you implying that a Doctor Biologist from Harvard is pulling this info from her arse? I know, as all of us do, that EQ's happen all the time, but she specifically said there is something going on with the geology of the earth, and that, YES they have increased 10 FOLD in the last year, I didn't ask her to show me data, it was just a class discussion. Data, hmm a Harvard Doctor and accredited scientist in our community of the pacific northwest is a pretty reliable source don't ya think?It is enough validity for me, I will provide maybe some USGS proof then in the next post just have to do some research.
Peace,
Marriah

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Peace,
Marriah

Here is an interesting graph of the exponential rate of EQ's in the last 70 years, pay special attention to the last ten years, which is data relating to what my professor said.
Peace,
Marriah link www.earth.webecs.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Saw this on the news too, the other day and of course, I thought of ATS and posting this tidbit of info but in all honesty, really nothing too earth-shaking (no pun intended). Minnesota seems to be pretty stable, been living here my whole life mostly (44 yrs) and really the worst things are tornadoes and winter, both of which we get some warning prior to. Blizzards more warning than tornadoes but earthquakes, no not really in the realm of every day normal weather news. Now, if this type of thing continues then yes, maybe it'll be time to take a step back and start to wonder and think; but for now, no panic from me.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by marriah3330

I was just wondering on what information the observation was made. And I'm not questioning your professors as much as the claim. You can hopefully understand that I dont know you or your professors, so asking for more than second hand information seems a reasonable request. When I read a post saying 'i heard in a class', it's no really the same thing as being in the class myself.

thanks for the link, i'll give it a read.

ETA: I'm still a bit incredulous after reviewing your link. The first red flag was the reference to the Bible as a source.
The second is that the graph they give showing an increase of earthquakes appears to be based on data from earthquake.usgs.gov... , butbtI'm curious if the 'increase' is only in RECORDED earthquakes, as the amount of recording centers has likely increased in the past decade, and not the earthquakes themselves.(?)

IF you have a different reading of that data and can correct me I am open to being proven incorrect.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
reply to post by sugarcookie1

Whats brewing is COFFEE

Minnesota Earthquake Information
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Largest Earthquake in Minnesota
Western Minnesota
1975 07 09 14:54:15 UTC
Magnitude 4.6
Intensity VI

earthquake.usgs.gov...

pretty quiet there, I wouldn't worry about a small shake... just watch for swarms... then something is up

Im not worred im more worryed about the nasty tornadoes we get before them its just rare to get a quake here

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   

I was just wondering on what information the observation was made. And I'm not questioning your professors as much as the claim. You can hopefully understand that I dont know you or your professors, so asking for more than second hand information seems a reasonable request. When I read a post saying 'i heard in a class', it's no really the same thing as being in the class myself.

thanks for the link, i'll give it a read.

ETA: I'm still a bit incredulous after reviewing your link. The first red flag was the reference to the Bible as a source.
The second is that the graph they give showing an increase of earthquakes appears to be based on data from earthquake.usgs.gov... , butbtI'm curious if the 'increase' is only in RECORDED earthquakes, as the amount of recording centers has likely increased in the past decade, and not the earthquakes themselves.(?)

IF you have a different reading of that data and can correct me I am open to being proven incorrect.

I know, I was worried about that part to, reliable resources after using the bible as a ref. in their link,sorry, I was in sort of a hurry and I thought the graph was well enough. But in the last ten years I don't think the amount of seismographs have increased? then again I'm not sure. I will research this some more and get back to you. Sorry if you didn't think my source was reliable, I just thought the USGS graph was some good data.
Peace,
Marriah
edit on 1-5-2011 by marriah3330 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Number of Earthquakes Worldwide for 2000 - 2011

USGS

In summary it shows:

2000 - 22256
2001 - 23534
2002 - 27454
2003 - 31419
2004 - 31194
2005 - 30478
2006 - 29568
2007 - 29685
2008 - 31777
2009 - 14825
2010 - 21516
2011 - 7030 (up to May 1)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Thanks for the kind reply.

I spent some time searching on those sites, as well as a few others last night, but couldn't find any notation saying anything about the amount of tracking stations, or whatever the correct terminology is.

It makes sense to me that the apparent increase in earthquakes on those graphs is directly related more being RECORDED< not more actually occurring, but I am still searching for the info either way.

Let me know if you find some conclusive evidence either way.

Perhaps your prof can you point you int he right direction?

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by CranialSponge
2009 - 14825

Interesting quiet period.. more than half the previous year
edit on 1-5-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by cloaked4u

I live in minnesota and as far as i know we do not have earthquakes. My mother is 84 years old and she has lived in minnesota all her life and has never exsperienced an earthquake in minnesota and neither have I. All the earthquakes and other freakish events happening around the world and now an earthquake in Minnesota. My brother lives in alex and i would like to call him when he becomes available to talk to me about it. I would like some input on this.

www.northlandsnewscenter.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

i live south of minnepolis, born and raised here.Anyway, we had an earthquake i think back in the late 80's early 90's. Thats the only other one i have heard of.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by cloaked4u

I live in mn too and it is very unusually for an earthquake here. Though not unheard of. Here are a couple of links with some info about it.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

www.morris.umn.edu...

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

2009 - 14825

Interesting quiet period.. more than half the previous year

The quiet before the storm ?

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

The quiet before the storm ?

Maybe the EQ's are getting more because of the sheer weight of people on the planet.
A few years ago someone calculated that if everyone in China got on a 2 foot high stool and all jumped off at the same time, the shock would be enough to knock Earth out of it's orbit

problem is mankind has not been recording long enough to really get any good data on cycles. But just look around Earth at those mountain ranges... have we seen any new mountain ranges formed in our history? Well there must have been some serious quakes when those were made.

Japan moved 8 feet east and sank several meters in places, the pacific plate moved 30 meters west along a 350 km front, the earth shifted by 4 inches and sped up enough to effect out clocks.

Mother Earth isn't done yet
The top of Mount Everest has sea shells. It was beach front once upon a time. There was no HAARP or PTB around back then (that we know of
)

Take a look at Iris today

That is pretty normal on a daily basis... the purple areas are those over a five year period and most quakes fall on those lines. But you can see scattered purple spots all over the planet. The one today Is Svalbard is interesting. That is where the Doomsday Seed Vault is located
edit on 5-5-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join