It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

earthquake rattles minnesota

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   

earthquake rattles minnesota

www.northlandsnewscenter.com

an earthquake in alexandria minnesota rattles residents early in the morning.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I live in minnesota and as far as i know we do not have earthquakes. My mother is 84 years old and she has lived in minnesota all her life and has never exsperienced an earthquake in minnesota and neither have I. All the earthquakes and other freakish events happening around the world and now an earthquake in Minnesota. My brother lives in alex and i would like to call him when he becomes available to talk to me about it. I would like some input on this.

www.northlandsnewscenter.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Yo, fellow Gopher!

This is news to me, but with all the tectonic activity throughout North America it's about time it catches up with us.

Is the sleeping giant, a.k.a. New Madrid Fault, beginning to wake from its 200 year slumber?

I sure as hell hope not.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Um, it was a 2.5.

That's not even something people normally feel.

Are any oil/gas companies there? Doing any fracking?

How about in ND? They've been doing some in the Bakken formation, but I'm not sure about eastern ND. Might be worth a look.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by notsofunnyguy

Hmm, well it says at the bottom of OP's link:

It was recorded at 3.1 on the Richter Scale

Also, if it was a surface quake, you would definitely feel it.

Mag 2.5 Minnesota

5 km (3.1 miles) set by location program

Not terribly high, but.. hmm.
edit on 29-4-2011 by Lionhearte because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by cloaked4u

The first recorded earthquake in Minn. was in 1860. There have reported earthquakes since that time. None at this point have been very strong. I wouldn't get excited this one was only a 2.5. It is a surprise if anyone felt it.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I know that the earthquake was small, but it seems to me that something is definately brewing beneath our feet. All the crazy stuff happening around the world and so much activity everywhere and it is increasing. My question is, what is causing all this? I myself have never been in an earthquake and never want to either. Some folks are use to that sort of thing, not me. I love my feet planted firmly right where they are supposed to be. Are these earthquakes going to get more frequent? Whats going on? I know earthquakes happen, but not so many all the time. Now that, is not NORMAL.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Lionhearte

That was the previous one. The current one was 2.5.

According to the U.S. Geological Survey, a 2.5 magnitude quake shook the city of Alexandria around 2:20 this morning.
The last time one was reported was in 1994 in South Central Minnesota.

It was recorded at 3.1 on the Richter Scale.

And the OP's source doesn't say that it was surface quake.

Please, read the whole article, but don't read anything extra INTO the article, okay?
edit on 29-4-2011 by notsofunnyguy because: denying ignorance

edit on 29-4-2011 by notsofunnyguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

I have been following earthquakes for years. Do you have any idea how often every single day the earth is shaking under some ones feet? There really hasn't been more earthquakes they are occuring in more densly populated areas. I agree that we are over due for some large quakes in the US which proves my point. We couldn't be over due if they hadn't occured before.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Another quake in an unusual place - interesting as I am sure
there have been at least 3 quakes such as this in the last
3 months in the US. I am Indiana and we had a quake
several months ago in a location where they have no
record of it ever having an earthquake.

I feel Mother Earth is waking and she has some
chain reaction changes in mind.

BTW I use to live in Elk River, Mn,. no quakes.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
2.5?
it is unusual for people to feel this magnitude
weird-

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by cloaked4u
I know earthquakes happen, but not so many all the time. Now that, is not NORMAL.

Actually, yes they do. Earthquakes happen all the time What's new is technology that allows us to know about every single little one.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Eq's in Montana too... bit unusual? I dont recall eq's in either place
Sun activity today, maybe a connection>

Be well.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Ok, so I've been holding my breath for awhile now before saying this in fear of getting booed off the ATS stage, my marine biology professor told us during lecture one day when we talked about the Japan tsunami, that she has friends within the USGS and mind you she isn't some quack, she has her doctorate degree in Biology from Harvard and another marine science degree from Berkley, well anywhoo, she told me that her friends with USGS have said that seismic activity has increased 10 fold in the last year in United States and even all over the world, she said they don't know why but that, and I quote, "something is defanantly going on, the earth some type of activity is going on."Just wanted to put this out there especially to the ones that say, "earth quakes happen all the time." Well there has been an abnormal number, though my professor said that nothing was mentioned whether or not the LARGER quakes have increased. She also said its "not a matter of if, but when," the big one hits here on the west coast.
Peace,
Marriah

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by marriah3330

I agree. Yes people are more informed of much more occurances because of t.v , internet, phones, videos and the likes. I still say that there seems to be an increase in all kinds of activities. Come on peoples, tornadoes ravaged the countryside and left over 300 or more dead and it is only the end of april and we already hit a record number of tornadoe activities, not to mention more earthquakes, volcanoes and this wierd stuff with the fish and stuff goings on. Something is deffinately causing this to happen more frequent. You just cannot say it is normal. I agree with you marriah, something is just not right here.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Define 'Normal' in geological terms...

See all those mountain ranges in the US? Formed by major shifts in the Earth, so there must have been some pretty big EQs before

Watch Iris... its great instant view of 4.5 or higher quakes (the only ones really worth worrying about

www.iris.edu...

This one shows how many quakes per level

edit on 30-4-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
live in Minnesota miles from alexandria i don't rember ever haveing any earthquakes in this state ive lived here all my life..Id say something is going on its rare for anything like that to happen here..Im not going to spend nights up over it but id say something is brewing

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

Whats brewing is COFFEE

Minnesota Earthquake Information
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Largest Earthquake in Minnesota
Western Minnesota
1975 07 09 14:54:15 UTC
Magnitude 4.6
Intensity VI

earthquake.usgs.gov...

pretty quiet there, I wouldn't worry about a small shake... just watch for swarms... then something is up

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Just caught the morning headlines... A 6.2 hit Panama this morning. Seems to be more and more of the earthquake there, then one over here, one down there, and one up over there...

edit on 30-4-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

You keep saying there are 'more earthquakes' now.

Can you prove this?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join