It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2011-04-28 WikiLeak: 2005 Canadian Gov Cable Addressing NAU (NAI)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   

2011-04-28 WikiLeak: 2005 Canadian Gov Cable Addressing NAU (NAI)

wikileaks.ch

¶2. (SBU) An incremental and pragmatic package of tasks
for a new North American Initiative (NAI) will likely gain
the most support among Canadian policymakers. Our research
leads us to conclude that such a package should tackle both
"security" and "prosperity" goals. This fits the
recommendations of Canadian economists who have assessed the
options for continental integration. While in principle
many of them support more ambitious integration goals, like
a customs union/single market and/or single currency, most
believe the incremental approach is most appropriate
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related ATS Thread

edit on 29-4-2011 by Connector because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Well, not new news for the most of us. We've all known about and discussed this many times before. This is the Canadian Government's perspective in 2005, just released April 28'11.

Very interesting read. It's got all the goodies including, incremental steps, borders, security, and of course....the Amero.

To me, the Canadian Gov sounds very pragmatic, considering the inevitable to compete with the changing world.

wikileaks.ch
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I really don't understand people's problem with the NAI. Canada and the US are more similar than different. Their currencies have essentially been on par for almost two years now. The borders are essentially open for trade, and only restricted for individuals. Canada has more lax int borders and immigration standards, which the US is trying to get them up to speed on.

The rumors of superhighways ad the like are nonsense. The NAI is not a bogeyman.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I've always said, a union might not be such a bad thing...nor would a one world government if done correctly. after all its our Earth, Our countries, our oceans, our trees, our mountains, our skies, our limits...not the corporations, not wall street, nor banks, nor the mega conglomerates.

An Earth without boarders would certainly be truly free!

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by misfitofscience
An Earth without boarders would certainly be truly free!

You are right, and so is your right to privacy. Bravo, not my world for me thank you

+5 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by misfitofscience
I've always said, a union might not be such a bad thing...nor would a one world government if done correctly.

Yeah? Well guess what, those in power think the same. Know what the difference is? They don't have any intention of the world becoming a fair and equal society if borders are erased; they aim for a global regime run by the globalist elite.

Canada's integration into the USA is key for it would secure resources necessary for the US to exist strongly in this new century. It will also give them a lot of room to expand their industry and exploit our resources.

Perhaps you people may not see the problem with my country becoming one with the US, but I certainly do, and it's not exactly hard to see it yourself when you look at what NAFTA was promised to the public to be and what it turned out to be: Canada, with a far smaller population and industrial complex than the US, becomes easily consumed by the larger US until the only solution proposed is more integration.

You can bet your ass that this has been planned for decades, or I guess it even goes back to the days of confederation when the US kept trying to assimilate territories like Manitoba and BC/Vancouver Island Colony and the territories had to unite all in the name of a union against the United States. I guess those who don't see the problem with the NAU obviously haven't paid attention to history, like the very reason why Canada was formed in 1867 and this little thing called "manifest destiny".
edit on 29-4-2011 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
You one world government folks have this all wrong. It is absolutely a terrible idea! We've been brainwashed into looking at our governments in the opposite direction they were intended to be in the pecking order.

The individual is supposed to have the most power followed by a city government, then the state, and at the very bottom, the federral government. Think about it.

The people who would be at the top of a world government would have more in common with one another than with any of us peons at the bottom. What laws and customs that may work for a small village in China for example would have very little in common with the social structure and needs of a city in the midwest United States.

These supra governments would benefit the so called elites only, giving them a more efficient method to consolidate and execute their self serving goals.

You folks need to think these things through and realize we are meant to be at the top of the power triangle, not the bottom.
edit on 29-4-2011 by Redwookieaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Canada's integration into the USA is key for it would secure resources necessary for the US to exist strongly in this new century. It will also give them a lot of room to expand their industry and exploit our resources.

If you knew anything about your country's economy.you would know that Canada has a long history of essentially giving away their natural resources (wood, water, fuel) to the US. The US doesn't need a "NAU" to do this. Canada does so freely. Hell, raw wood gets sent to the states to be milled, then shipped BACK to Canada to be old at Home Depot.

Of course, you have been conditioned to feel like everything associated with the US is bad, while everything Canadian is right and good. It's an understandable stance, obviously. Especially when one doesnt really understand global politics and economics.

What is so wrong with not having to be searched at the border?

Canada is ALREADY assimilated. All the NAI is about is making N. America a more secure place. At the moment, Canada's immigration and border security are laughable.

And why is it that Canadians always assume the "NAU" would assimilate them? Why not recognize that it might mean certain aspects of Canadian culture will assimilate the US? I'd rather listen the CBC than NPR any day. I guess Canadians have been so conditioned to feel like the 'little brother n relation to the states that they project their feelings of victimization on everything relating to the two countries.

edit on 29-4-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Redwookieaz

You folks need to think these things through and realize we are meant to be at the top of the power triangle, not the bottom.

That would be an awfully top-heavy triangle.

Geometry fail?

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

High five for missing the point and arguing pointless semantics instead.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   

High five for missing the point and arguing pointless semantics instead.

I think you dont know what semantics means. Everyone can not be at the top of a pyramid.

You dismiss some very informed and relevant posts about the specifics of the NAI by calling them 'brainwashed'. I know that stuff gets stars here on ATS, but it doesnt further a conversation and the issues. You want to think the NAI is about a one world government? Show the connections. Just spewing vague platitudes only shows yur own social conditioning and closed, pre-determined mind. That is not denying ignorance. It is inviting it into your home for coffee.

My point is that you seem to have a lot of assumptions about what the NAI is, but little fact. Do you think Canada should be allowed to have such lax immigration policies when the US shares a massive border with them?

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   

I think they should be allowed to do whatever the people of Canada want to do. They are a sovereign nation.

Would it help you if I said that the pyramid of power should actually be upside down? A person's natural rights, or God given rights as some would call them are the highest laws in a free republic.
edit on 29-4-2011 by Redwookieaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Back on topic pls.

Do I want it...no. Is it inevitable....yes.

The question is, how best to protect our own regions and strengthen a common belief?

BORDER VS. PERIMETER: Even with zero tariffs, our land borders have strong commercial effects. Some of these effects are positive (such as law enforcement and data gathering), so our governments may always want to keep some kind of land border in place. Canada and the United States already share a security perimeter to some degree; it is just a question of how strong we want to make it.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   

I think they should be allowed to do whatever the people of Canada want to do. They are a sovereign nation.

And what, specifically, about the NAI do you feel potentially compromises their sovereignty?

ETA: I'm also still curious to see if you can offer some actual connection between the 'one world government' and the NAI.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Connector

The question is, how best to protect our own regions and strengthen a common belief?

Can you elaborate on that a bit? I'm not quite sure what you are asking. What common belief? Protect regions from what?

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds

If you knew anything about your country's economy.you would know that Canada has a long history of essentially giving away their natural resources (wood, water, fuel) to the US. The US doesn't need a "NAU" to do this. Canada does so freely. Hell, raw wood gets sent to the states to be milled, then shipped BACK to Canada to be old at Home Depot.

Of course, you have been conditioned to feel like everything associated with the US is bad, while everything Canadian is right and good. It's an understandable stance, obviously. Especially when one doesnt really understand global politics and economics.

Geopolitics, human geography, political science, political theory and Canadian politics are my areas of study and my instructors don't seem to think my understanding is lacking.

Your whole post is ignorant to the real situation. You think we just sell off our resources at firesale prices because that's what we want? You think we want to have a weak economy with over 80% foreign ownership? It's this thing called NAFTA that allows American corporations to come here and exploit our resources, and it is also NAFTA that protects US corporations in doing so. You could argue that we have the same rights, but the very fact that we are a fraction of the size of your economy has already resigned us to subordinate status as soon as Mulroney sold us off via the FTA agreement.

Canada is ALREADY assimilated

Come here and tell us that in person.

And why is it that Canadians always assume the "NAU" would assimilate them?

Probably because we aren't retarded.

How can anyone with half a brain claim that forming a union with a superpower will not assimilate you? North America is not Europe and the NAU will not be like the EU. In Europe, there are strong powers in charge (UK, France, Germany, etc) that dictate EU policies to some degree of neutrality. What do you think will happen when Canada and Mexico try for fairness when we are in a union with the USA? You think the US will act as if they are on the same level as us? They obviously don't now.

You dismiss some very informed and relevant posts about the specifics of the NAI by calling them 'brainwashed'.

Oh, but it's alright for you to call me "conditioned" with "little brother" syndrome. I care about my country's sovereignty. I care about social progress. I care about my friends, my family and my people.

After watching what the US claims as progress in Afghanistan and Iraq, what the hell makes you think I want to see that here? Washington already manipulates our politicians. What do you think will happen when the US assumes control over us? You think we will just sit back and take it? We will rebel, just like the Zapatistas in Mexico.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds

And what, specifically, about the NAI do you feel potentially compromises their sovereignty?

ETA: I'm also still curious to see if you can offer some actual connection between the 'one world government' and the NAI.

Try looking at a map:

Notice how the Pentagon has divided up the world into different command sections (aswell as space and cyberspace)? The US already thinks it owns the world.

Do you know what NORTHCOM is? That's the US command structure of NORTH AMERICA. NORTHCOM is already in charge of NORAD which effectively puts the US in charge of Canadian airspace.

The Security and Prosperity Partnership aims to have the US also have the same access to land and sea as they do to air. Harper is all to happy to downgrade our own military forces so he can allow US forces to pick up our slack.

And guess what the SPP outlines: A US security perimiter around Canada and the US.

In fact, since you claim to be so educated on this matter, perhaps you've read this official Canadian government publication covering the February 4th meeting between Harper and Obama: Beyond the Border

It continuously mentions "integration". Integration for security forces, transit security, police forces, epidemic contigency, counter-terrorism, cyber security, etc etc etc.

You're trying to tell me that the NAU is not about assimilation? Right. There's no assimilation here when our leadership plans to have joint police and security with a much larger superpower with hostile economic ambitions. It's just a conspiracy

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Your whole post is ignorant to the real situation. You think we just sell off our resources at firesale prices because that's what we want? You think we want to have a weak economy with over 80% foreign ownership? It's this thing called NAFTA that allows American corporations to come here and exploit our resources, and it is also NAFTA that protects US corporations in doing so. You could argue that we have the same rights, but the very fact that we are a fraction of the size of your economy has already resigned us to subordinate status as soon as Mulroney sold us off via the FTA agreement.

Actually, Canada's wholesaling of their national resources predates nafta by decades.

The point, which you still seem to be talking around is that the NAI is not threatening canadian sovereignty. All of the things you are trying to in on it or NAFTA have existed for decades, and exist because Canada has chosen to not invest in heir own manufacturing infrastructure.

I understand that whatever liberal school you went to teaches that America is to blame for all of Canada's woes but a further investigation will reveal to you that it is Canadians making those decisions themselves.

Since you are so versed in this issue, please tel me what specific aspects of the proposed NAI you disagree with and why.

After watching what the US claims as progress in Afghanistan and Iraq, what the hell makes you think I want to see that here? Washington already manipulates our politicians.

Wow. So you are comparing Canada's relationship to the US with Afghanistan? LOL. You DO know that Canada has been in Afghanistan for years now, right?

What do you think will happen when the US assumes control over us? You think we will just sit back and take it? We will rebel, just like the Zapatistas in Mexico.

Ah, now your comparing yourself to the zapatistas. Thats epic. Now I KNOW you go to some expensive liberal 'blame america' school

Also, I'm dual Canadian/American and have been for decades, so you can cease with your silly assumptions about what I do and dont know about Canada. I've lived in both countries for years and likely have for more experience in either than you have in even one.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Just as I thought. You know nothing about the specifics of the rather benign NAI and are just spewing conflations with some vague "NWO" scenario.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   

PROCESS: At this time, an "incremental" approach to
integration is probably better than a "big deal"
approach. However, governments should focus on
choosing their objectives, and not on choosing a
process.

BORDER VS. PERIMETER: Even with zero tariffs, our land
borders have strong commercial effects. Some of these
effects are positive (such as law enforcement and data
gathering), so our governments may always want to keep
some kind of land border in place. Canada and the