It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All models are wrong!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Hi ATS,

Albert Einstein said "All models are wrong. Some are merely useful." He was talking about physics, but it applies to science, religion, politics, philosophy, relationships, opinions etc....

Let me be the first to admit my thinking is flawed, my models are wrong, but here's the kicker: YOUR MODELS ARE WRONG TOO! All of them. They may be very useful to you, and therefore should not be abandoned, but to defend your ideology, or "model" as completely inerrant is foolishness. Athiests are wrong when they state "There is no God." They do not KNOW this as absolute proveable truth. They are assuming based upon a model that works for them. The model is wrong. Christians who state "Our way is the only way." are assuming this based upon the model that works for them. The model is wrong. The Democrat's model is wrong. The Republican's model is wrong. Should your personal model be abandoned if it works for you? NO. Simply realise YOUR MODEL IS FLAWED. Accept that possibility and you open your mind to a world of possibilities. Remain closed to this fact, and you are doomed to a life of ignorance, and half truths.

We will never know everything. The smarter you get the more you realize how much there is you don't know. When people post with absolute authority on a matter it is an early warning flag that they haven't a clue about that which they speak, and/or have an agenda. This goes for all topics, concerns, and issues. Be skeptical, in the true sense of the word, not an overbearing nay-sayer, but cautious yet open to possibility. The greatest minds on our planet are always met with skepticism, and doubt until their model of the truth becomes apparently useful. Then mankind does an about face, and stands on their word, or law, or theory as absolute immutable gospel. Then the next model comes to challenge the old, and is met with the same cycle. Newtonian physics are wrong, but very useful. The balance comes in utilizing a useful model while simultaneously realizing it is inherently flawed, and limited. This is the Tao of genius. Dogma is the training wheels of the unenlightened in any field of study. Be open minded, but don't let your brains fall out. Be skeptical, but don't cling to a theory simply because it was useful. A better one may be challenging it. Deny ignorance.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Binder
We will never know everything. The smarter you get the more you realize how much there is you don't know. When people post with absolute authority on a matter it is an early warning flag that they haven't a clue about that which they speak, and/or have an agenda.

This may be the case in General on these and many other forums, but, there are some who have extensive experience in their field who do offer unclouded observations. It is a fact that few have such extensive experience due to how our Culture operates, but those who do usually have a history of working outside the Indoctrinations of Culture. And it is the Cultural Indoctrination that Blinds us to anything Unlimited.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
OP You have penned a great thread topic.

I agree 100% all models are wrong.

INCLUDING the model that we are discussing here. It's wrong too.

But it IS useful...hah!

Paradox much?

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Binder

Nosense thread? OK! I'll play.

Your models are wronger that mine. Mine is longer.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Tayesin

The indoctrinations of culture is exactly what I am talking about. Unclouded observations is what we should all strive to make. The people of which you speak, that have extensive experience in a field, and are the forward thinkers usually have an acute sense that their model is flawed, yet useful. They do no defend a model unduly. They simply use it, and have no issue with admitting it's limitations. The day we truly believe we know everything is the day we truly know nothing.

The Tao is (like) the emptiness of a vessel; and in our employment of it we must be on our guard against all fullness. - Lao Tzu

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

HAHA! You get IT!!! 5 Stars for you!

Oh wait. I can only give you 1 star. Geez what a broken model.

On second thought... Could it be that the model that all models are wrong be the only correct model

I'll wait for the gears to cool off on that line of thinking.

edit on 29-4-2011 by Binder because: to add 2nd thoughts

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Binder

One small disagreement if you will. Every time you say wrong? Cross it out and replace it with extreeeeeeeeeeeeeeemly limited. That would make me happier. I'm in a Model T and you seem to be in a Model A.

Fine rant Binder. Now cool your heals, suck it up and start playing like a sane person again. S+F for you today. Ya caught me on a good day.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

My models may be wronger-er, but if they are more useful. I win!

It isn't the length of the model, it's how you use it.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TerryMcGuire

OK, OK if only to make you happy,(you know that is why I exist.) All models are extreeeeemly limited, you are correct(within this frame of referrence.
) However "wrong" is much more expedient to type, and my fingers get tired. So heretofore you have my permission to insert "all models are extreeeemly limited" into your mental scripting when you read "wrong." Shall this suffice?

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Binder
reply to post by Tayesin

The indoctrinations of culture is exactly what I am talking about. Unclouded observations is what we should all strive to make. The people of which you speak, that have extensive experience in a field, and are the forward thinkers usually have an acute sense that their model is flawed, yet useful. They do no defend a model unduly. They simply use it, and have no issue with admitting it's limitations. The day we truly believe we know everything is the day we truly know nothing.

The Tao is (like) the emptiness of a vessel; and in our employment of it we must be on our guard against all fullness. - Lao Tzu

Excellently said.

I think too these people know the language available to them to illustrate concepts is certainly flawed as each word carries a number of variations to meanings that fit into other people's Attachments.

Great thread and I look forward to reading more.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Binder

I bow, genuflect, and am subjugated. Thanks again. That rant had been building up in me also. I feel so much better.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   

No, no, no, I aquiesced first. I insist. You were correct.

I simply enjoy the intellectual banter.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Binder

And that being obvious would make it banal binder banter? But I guess its a good thing this thread is not about where Obama was born because that would make it Binders banal birther banter. But if you were a birther and you were ranting about the banks it would be birther Binders banker bashing banter.

I'm sorry. What was this thread about? Did I just go off topic or what?

Come on mods. You can't block birther Binder's banker bashing banter.

I'm being silly. I just got hammered in a thread occupied by some who might be of a type you were ranting about and it's just nice to be on a thread with friendly folk.

Friendly folk? Don't get me started. Good night Mrs. Calabash.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   

I was taking a shot of bourbon when I read your tongue twisters. Do you have any idea how much bourbon burns when expelled through the nares?

You sir have crossed the line. I shall now start the Binder bourbon blast deBauchery thread, and you shall burn in it!!

new topics

top topics

join