It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This heat pump can last 10 000 years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Well here we have something science breaking

Researchers now are testing an entirely new heat pump. While those we use today last ten to twenty years, the new one will last almost forever. The new heat pump consists of many miniature heat pumps as small as one cubic millimeter. To heat a house one needs several thousand of them. They are put together into larger units that can be tall and thin or short and wide. - The most important advantages of the new heat pump is that you can regulate its size and form and that it is more durable than heat pumps are today. It is also more environmentally friendly, Doctor of Physics Jan Kåre Bording says, who is Chief Engineer at the University of Stavanger in Norway. Together with his colleague, Professor of Materials Science Vidar Hansen, he is developing a new heat pump that is thermo-electric. They investigate its disadvantages and advantages compared with the heat pumps we use today. The project is a collaboration project with the Department of Physics, University of Oslo. According to the researchers the heat pump will be fully developed and ready to be launched on the market in five to ten years.

here is the complete article

Would be a great energysaver for the coming years if it comes to production.

edit on 29-4-2011 by DutchBigBoy because: image added

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   
'scuse me for being ignorant, but what is a heat pump?

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by john_bmth

... same here .. I had to manually google it ...
Wiki - Heat Pump

edit on 29/4/11 by WhatAreSpinkters because: because because .... because of the wonderful things he does...

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Cool. Now when the ELE hits they can stay underground without replacing their heatpumps for 10,000 years... which would be the time Nibiru strike again? ;-P

Though I think the Engineering must be fantastic to have it last that long. I always love engineering.
edit on 29-4-2011 by DaRAGE because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
If they last 10,000 years it would be a beneficial advancement in engineering and efficiency. It would also reduce potential profits on the design in the long term.

We wouldn't want to improve the world at the expense of some guys 5th car, would we?

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Had to replace mine 2 months ago - old unit was 11 years old.

For those that have never had to concern yourselves with HVAC stuff, basically a heat pump pulls all the heat it can out of the cold outdoor air and blows it into your house in the winter time, and the opposite in the summer. They suck when it gets really cold out. Getting heat from 20 degree air is like squeezing water from a rock. =)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Heat pumps are most commonly used in refridgerators and airconditioners. Todays fridges are almost all equipped with a toxic gas, imagine it without that gas.

new topics

top topics

join