It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Critique my Avatar and assure me it is ATS/BTS Worthy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
So I just made a new avatar tonight, and like any creation or work one has done, usually people like to be sure that the result they intended is in fact deemed so by their peers. So I give you this thread to have other members critique your diligent efforts in creating your Avatar.

In addition, you can also post to be sure that your avatar falls within the guidelines of the New Rules for Avatars and Mini-Profile Backgrounds

Maximum pixel dimensions: 170 pixels wide by 240 pixels high.

Maximum file size: Remains 75k

Because the layout parameters for page structure is different than the old per-2010 format, overly-tall avatars can make the thread-view a very-tall page.

Mini-Profile Background Images

A common method used by many members to "workaround" the avatar size limitation is to use a mini-profile background image, and a clear-GIF avatar. We will continue to encourage this level of creativity in conjunction with the new avatar limitations.

Pixel Space: The new "visible" space for background images is 180 pixels wide and 400-480 pixels tall (depending on other factors in your mini-profile).

Maximum Pixel Dimensions: Maximum allowable mini-profile backgrounds will be 200 pixels wide by 700 pixels tall. Smaller images are repeated in the background space.

Maximum File Size: Maximum file size for mini-profile backgrounds is 100k if you're using a clear-GIF as your avatar, if not, the combined file size of your avatar and background image cannot exceed 150k.

Animated backgrounds are not allowed.

Background colors and imagery that obscure your member name are not allowed.

So I'll throw myself on the chopping block first and allow you to critique UberL33t 2.0
Although, suffice it to say it would most likely be better to keep criticisms constructive within this thread.

If one feels the need to non-constructively criticize another member's avatar, it would really be best to do so via a U2U as opposed to putting said member on blast so to speak in this thread. Let's keep it positive shall we?

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

a little bright compared to the rest of ats as a forum. i like to read ats in the dark at night and scare myself that aliens are coming to get me in my sleep...
your avatar hurts my eyes

on a side note it is very creative and i applaud you for your efforts in creating a unique avatar for yourself

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
2.0 i thought we were atleast up to version 4.5
really as long as youre happy does it really matter?
btw do you have ocd? or any of that? valid qn

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Stands out a bit too much.

And why is the other half of your brain offline?

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Majestyka

looks fine to me...
you done a good job!
if you are happy with it, all that matters anyways!
plus i've seen a lot worse!
so give yourself a pat on the back!!

Also

i like to read ats in the dark at night and scare myself that aliens are coming to get me in my sleep...

I do the same exact thing!! lol

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Majestyka

LoL, well in any event I am glad I am at least able to light the way for some.

reply to post by questcequecest

2.0 in avatar creation....and now that you mention it, although not professionally diagnosed, I firmly believe I do have a form of OCD yes. Thus far, I have chalked it up to being a perfectionist accompanied with an underlying need for attention to detail until that diagnosis is delivered though. Most of which I attribute to my run in the military. Validity given, now validity requested, why do you ask, if I may?

reply to post by AdamsMurmur

Stands out indeed. I believe I am in excellent company in this case.
As for being half on/offline, you have a valid point, but I think it's safe to say that we (our species) are only at half potential at this point in the venture. When we fully develop, I will be sure to find an avatar that is compliant, until then I left room for error.

reply to post by EvolEric

Thank you Evol, very kind words. I appreciate your reply. I am in fact very happy with the results. This new avatar actually stemmed from a question I posted in the BB&Q forum as well as the thread SO started linked in the OP. See here if you feel so inclined to understand the back story, which in the end turned very comical: Animated Avatar Backgrounds - Yes or No?

Thank you all for the replies, it is appreciated.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Nice avatar
gj

its indeed a little to bright for the darkness of ATS

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Like a whole lot of ATS avatars, there is a bit of a problem with lack of contrast. Yours is not as bad as some where I literally cannot even see the name of the person because there is no contrast between the text and the background. My PC is pretty normal and I've had this issue no matter which PC I use, so I don't think it is just me. Because my eyes are old I need a little more contrast than some of you younger punks out there.

In your case I can barely read the ATS info at the bottom; Posts, Flags, stars, W and K values. Of course, maybe you don't care about that, but I'm only rating the effect of the colors you used, not whether what it is hilighting is deemed worthy. Hope this helps.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Nice work...love the color choice. It's supposed to stand out - I like things to stand out ( not so you'd notice
)
Very good contrast. Not sure what the message is though, or if there's supposed to be one.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Nice work have a Flag!!!

top topics

join