It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jehovah's Witness

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Yesterday two Jehovah's Witnesses came to my door. I took this opportunity to debate with them.

An hour later, after explaining the process of evolution in detail, debating wonders of the cosmos and even having to CORRECT him (The other guy was less knowledgeable than him and said very little) on scripture he explained to me that the bible was science, handed me a magazine which proposes that evolution is fake, or due to (UN?)Intelligent design and told me he is interested in coming back.

This magazine is full of pseudo-science, and I have left notes debunking the slanderous lies within it.

My question is concerning the most talkative of the two. He was amazed at the passages I showed him in his own bible, even dismissing laws of God UNTIL I pointed them out. Stuttered through his proof of biblical facts and "science" and admitted this was the way he was raised and WOULD be a muslim if Pakistani and such for other religious countries. This with the dumbfounded look on his face during our talk seem to suggest, at least to me anyway, that he has major doubts about his own faith... Hence him wanting to return and talk?

And now thre question! If he does come back, how can i best approach him concerning his faith without making him angry or uncomfortable. I don't need specific arguements, just opinions and advice on how to... Help him? (I dont have the time to work through re-phrsasing this due to being at work, so anyone who is offended can refer themselves to the word of Jesus concerning the mocking of your faith, which I'm not trying to do anyway)

This guy seems incredibly lost and brainwashed, yet nice enough for me to have an urge to help/educate him. He has not even been taught basic science. This is not just a tragedy, but child abuse. How can anyone knowingly keep facts away from children who are so impressionable!?

Thank you. I will check this after work.

P.S: He is 19 years old. Just incase my post gave the impression he was much younger

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by JesuitIscariot

Interesting experience. I have shared similar. Luckily they haven't knocked on my door since I was a child, but they tend to roam the streets now days and speak to random pedestrians. One day while I was taking a walk to the corner store a couple cornered me. I was in no hurry so I humored them for a moment. They started to spit some random jibberish about saving my soul. I also took the time to contradict some of the verses they quoted with other verses in the same bible. I am not religious but I have decent knowledge of the contents of the Christian bible. After a few minutes they could tell I was "trolling" them and wished me a good day and wished me well. To make things even funnier, there were a couple more standing in line at the corner store handing out pamphlets to the people in line. I kindly turned it down.

In relevance to your experience, I must agree. They are clearly brainwashed usually lack an open mind. Without an open mind they will never be able to see the whole picture. I don't claim to know it all, but I always keep an open mind and never let my biases blind my judgment. Too bad these poor souls were not as lucky.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
He probably won't come back, or they will send someone else (the devil lives in your house clearly).

I talked to Joe once for a few minutes, explained my agnostic-atheist viewpoint a bit, they gave me the mag, did the will come back.

All your science stuff was dismissed after about 10 steps away from your door when they simply brushed you off as falling for elegant lies by satan to challenge their faith or whatnot.

They are trained in blocking facts and standing for ignorance.
Maybe in a few years, that kid will get interested in science and start to leave Joe, but no single talk from some guy is going to change that.

Altering your religious and scientific views comes through time and education.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by JesuitIscariot

he clearly has an interest in hearing what you have to say. my suggestion is let him ask the first questions, as this will make apparent his intentions. if he really is interested in learning something from you be honest with him, as it will gain favor in his eyes if you aren't able to answer his questions and you admit to it. if something clearly is an opinion of yours make it apparent that it is just an opinion, otherwise he may feel threatened by some of your thoughts and feelings on something he may not be able to agree with you on. treat him just like you would any other person you interact with on here. i guess what i am trying to say is don't insult his intelligence (it may not seem like he has any but it is there somewhere). he is suffering from a skewed twisted and sometimes broken view of reality, all you need to do is help him untangle the mess. let him guide the conversation as only he knows what he is curious about.
edit on 28-4-2011 by thegiftbearer because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-4-2011 by thegiftbearer because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I used to be a JW, and I belong to an Ex JW message board, if you'd like I can ask them for some tips on there, they're REALLY good at giving advice on what to say.. I'm not, cause I was youngish, and not very interested in all of the in depth stuff. Heck, if you want, I can direct you to the board I belong to, and you can ask them yourself! It's a pretty interesting place!

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I have these people on my door all the time. I have set my mind on learning what they preach.

I question them all the time.

One question i just recently asked them is: If we are all Gods children. Then why do you people say that Jesus is Gods only begotten son?

They had to come back to me on that one

I have also asked them about Genesis chapter 1. With regards to evolution: In genesis chapter 1 God clearly say; Let the earth bring forth, And let the sea bring forth and so on. That would imply that earth and the sea creates life.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by spy66

You should get them drunk.

Invite them in and then pour them a straight whiskey. Tell them if they want to talk to you, they have to drink the whiskey. It will force them to debate themselves.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

I was born and raised a JW...

If you feel like being nice, and answering the guys questions... that would be great... My advice would be just to talk to him like you would a friend... show him that all people in "the world" aren't evil.... don't pour it on too thick, or try to discount everything he says... try to be understanding of his ignorance, and take babysteps...

Like someone else said you usually can't convince witnesses of anything... an out has been programmed in their brain to just about any contradiction to what they believe... however if you ask respectful questions and respond to their questions in a way that makes them think you may be able to set this guy on the path to freedom... especially if it seems like he's looking for a reason to get out...

PS to the guy who said JW's were trying to save your soul... JW's don't believe in an everlasting soul...

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
1. Lure him into your house with peanut butter smeared over a cracker.
2. Offer him a seat
3. ??????
4. Profit

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I do not follow the Jehovah's Witness belief,

I am a believer in Christ and the Bible is 100% true to me.

But what you did was have a discussion of Religious science.

Your religious belief of evolution against their belief of the Bible.

The root meaning of Science is to know knowledge.

In my opinion if the knowledge is not true you really do not know anything.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ACTS 2:38

Evolution is a fact. It's been proven countless times.

The bible only requires faith.

Science has proven evolution, yet many deny it. But these same people would gleefully point to science over and over if it proved Jesus.

The Vatican even accepts evolution! It would be stupid of anyone to deny that any kind of evolution is true.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by YouDeserveToKnow

I'm sorry if you misunderstood my post.

I'm not a catholic.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Weeeden

I would like this very much. Thanks.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Alright!! I posted a question on there, and when I get some replies, I'll U2U them to you.. unless you'd rather have them here, but I'm not sure if I am allowed to do that on here.... ???
edit on 28-4-2011 by Weeeden because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I've had this happen many times, always with the same result... They leave questioning their own faith

I find that the JW's don't really know much about their own book. They're taught conversion techniques and actually know very little about what their talking about. I think their whole belief is based around revelations, though i could be wrong. Most of them are simply brainwashed into their beliefs which are based mostly on fear.

One thing though, they will never come back to the same house if you understand more then they do... They're looking for people who know nothing about the bible, that way its an easy sell if that person believes in God at least.

The best thing to do is exactly what you did, show them what you know and let them question their "elders" about it.

JW's are amusing though, i love that little paphlet they hand you "the watchtower"

top topics

join