It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tornadoes Currently Pounding Appalachian Mountains, Virginia & West Virginia

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
At a few minutes after midnight here (Giles County, in Virginia and bordering West Virginia in the Appalachian Mountains) we received 3 emergency service phone calls in a row warning of a tornado in the area. I don't even remember the last time there was a major tornado in the area, and this is coming after one devastated neighboring Pulaski County just recently and several damaged different areas in North Carolina, including around Raleigh.

MSM has been showing a massive storm system covering basically the entire US South, from Texas to Northern Virginia, and this has been ongoing for days already, and has been coming in waves. Central Virginia was hit with at least 7 tornadoes earlier this evening according to the local news. Now the Appalachian Mountain area is being warned of a tornado in the area, moving at 65 mph and already having caused damage about 5 minutes in the car from where I'm sitting now. What's bizarre about this to me is that there is hardly anywhere for a tornado to even touch down. For example I'm currently surrounded on 3 sides by steep mountains, the 4th side opening to the New River which is where this local tornado is apparently moving.

I can't help but suspect there is something foul about this, a la HAARP or else some very unusual natural system to say the least. This is just an unprecedented amount of damage in recent weeks from wave after wave of tornadoes. I'm half expecting to lose power in the middle of posting this. The thunder and lightning and pounding rain are coming in wave after wave. It hits hard, then dies down. Then hits hard, then dies down. Then hits hard, then dies back down.

I was under the impression that tornadoes like striking big, open flat areas. This is the path of the recent Pulaski tornado:

As you can see, it moved straight across into a mountain ridge.

In Texas and Oklahoma and other areas where tornadoes are more common, there are really no mountains to speak of. It's just flat.

Here are some photos of recent tornadoes in the area, and flooding and damaged caused by them:

By tomorrow morning I suspect there will be even more damage to take pictures of.

One good thing coming from all this, is that the amount of destruction caused by these storms has created large numbers of jobs, expected to last until the end of this summer in the case of Pulaski County (estimated $8.5 million in damage, and this is for a very rural area), cleaning up all the mess.

Local information on the storm systems can be found here: www.wdbj7.com...
edit on 28-4-2011 by bsbray11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
haarp. haarp. haarp. haarp.haarp.
thats not cold and warm air mixing at least not to me it isn't

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I am in N.C. and am glued to the TV. We have some bad stuff moving through! I don't remember this much severe weather in years! Really creepy and causing me to miss my much needed sleep tonight! Even the air feels heavy and thick!

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Massively bad bad thunderstorms, super violent high winds with tornado sirens going off every single night for the past 9 days here in southern Illinois too. My friends in Tennessee and Kentucky also are having tornado's comiing through one after the other in the last week or so. Same with some in Georgia. WHAT is going on? It's terrifying!

I really wonder if this 2012 crap COULD be real. Sure, people can panic and see things for what they are not but THIS? The weather being so tornado'y for the last week and a half or so? All over? In places tornados NEVER go????

something is definitely fishy.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
it's either natural, or sinister

if it's sinister, who knows the reason...probably a red herring...or they are trying to hit a nuclear plant (which happened twice this year, with no major repercussions, ...yet) or who knows what

If it's natural......we ain't seen nothin' yet

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mermel
I am in N.C. and am glued to the TV. We have some bad stuff moving through! I don't remember this much severe weather in years! Really creepy and causing me to miss my much needed sleep tonight! Even the air feels heavy and thick!

No kidding. What's especially creepy here is that since the heavy rain and thunder and lightning are coming in distinct waves, there is down time in between where you can hear the wind moving very fast and making an eerie sucking sound. It definitely is not normal for this area. I lived in Florida for a year and I've experienced hurricanes and hard weather. But in Virginia, I have always been told, and always been under the impression, that the Appalachian Mountains effectively prevent any major tornado systems from developing on this side.

Here's a BBC article about the storm system that's been moving across the entire South:

Storms kills dozens in Alabama and southern US

Governors in Alabama, Arkansas and Tennessee have each declared a state of emergency as Wendy Urquhart reports.

Severe storms in Alabama have killed at least 45 people, emergency officials have said, bringing the death toll to at least 59 in the southern US.

A huge tornado levelled parts of the city of Tuscaloosa, in Alabama, killing at least 15, as storms tore through southern states from Texas to Georgia.

US President Barack Obama has approved emergency aid for Alabama, including search and rescue assistance.

Eleven more people were killed in storms earlier this week in the South.

The storms also killed 11 people in Mississippi, two in Georgia and one in both Arkansas and Tennessee.

The current storm system was forecast to hit North and South Carolina on Wednesday evening, before making its way further north-east.

Governors in Alabama, Arkansas and Tennessee have each declared a state of emergency as a result of the newest round of heavy winds, rains and tornadoes.

President Obama declared a state of emergency for Alabama, releasing federal aid money.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Here's a photo of damage in Tuscaloosa:

While Texas is also prone to severe flooding, they apparently have wildfires on their hands too as a result of the same storm system...

Current radar shows the storm front stretches from Mississippi into Canada, while a seemingly separate system is hitting Illinois, Michigan and Ohio:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0d8eebe67142.gif[/atsimg]
edit on 28-4-2011 by bsbray11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Why does it have to be HAARP? There is such a thing as bad weather caused by natural phenomenon. Is the weather weird? Extremely! But that does not mean it is not a natural occurrence, albeit an odd one. The storms are vicious and have continued on for days and days. I have family in Clarksville, Tennessee, they have told me the storms are never ending and it seems like every other day they must fear for their lives.

Trust me, I do hope for your safety and that of every peaceful soul. This weather will let up but let us just hope and pray it does before more victims succumb to these monsters.

There is also a pretty bad fire near my house just 3 miles south. 50% contained and 100 acres burned so far. We are hoping for the best. News crews were interviewing people in my neighborhood because it is so close. Luckily it has stayed south of us and on the other side of US1 where few people live.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/33c20837b95b.png[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/16ef26cb0f20.png[/atsimg]

News Report

Picture slide show
edit on 4/28/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I almost started ballin' in tears when i saw this, this is very tragic and considerably close to where my family and I live, Portsmouth, Va, we are due for some severe storms tomorrow through friday. My prayers go out to all you are suffering from this.

-Peace and Love to All

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
Why does it have to be HAARP?

It doesn't have to be. It's just a matter of "fool me once..." Even if it is HAARP, there is nothing we can do about it at this point anyway.

We'll see tomorrow how bad the damage really is, but this makes at least the third time in maybe 2 weeks that severe tornadoes have ripped through this region.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Earlier this evening my mom in Cleveland, Tennessee called and said a tornado had just passed through the farm and that the neighbors next door were rushed to the hospital. Being night already, she could not get out to see any more of the damage and without power she decided to go to bed.

Later, another neighbor called and said we lost a lot of trees but the barns and houses were okay. I said it must not have been too bad then since I haven't seen anything on the internet. He said actually the reason was that the neighborhood across the street was gone and that no reports will be made until the families of the victims are notified. I haven't told my mom yet that we may have lost some neighbors tonight.

The natural disasters this world has experienced recently is unbelievable and seem to be getting more frequent and catastrophic. I'm feeling a bit helpless right now after going through these storms this week and today.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

Hello, I live relatively close to you, just south of Charleston, WV. and I completely understand your shock. Damage-causing tornadoes are a once in a decade kinda thing around these parts. I remember when I was a kid and some people had spotted a funnel cloud. It was a big deal, and it wasnt even a true tornado. Here we have multiple tornadoes spawning all over the Appalachian Mountains. This is the kind of weather you expect to see farther west, not here.

Personally, I think nature is pissed, but who really knows whats going on.

edit: I also wanted to mention the amount of rain we are getting. I'm starting to be concerned about flooding. Weve been on a flash flood watch for what feel like forever now. Last year, we had a flood so bad it almost washed my neighborhood away. The road in front of my house was literally a river. Personally, I hadnt seen anything like it before and hope I never do again. But with the amount of rain we have been getting, it could happen again. Time will only tell.

Please be safe everyone.
edit on 28-4-2011 by ProjectBlue because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

im sorry about the fires thats scary but thats not haarp. those funnel clouds though are man made without a doubt
edit on 28-4-2011 by supergod because: cause it feels sssssssssssssooooooooooooooooo goood

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I live in southern Missouri and have been tortured by tornadoes my entire life. All i can say folks is duck and cover, if you don't have a full cover concrete shelter, get one or if threatened by a tornado, go seek shelter that does. don't stay in a house or trailer that doesn't, even with a basement you're looking at the possibility of being sucked out or the house collapsing on top of you.

Best place to hide is in a large steel and concrete re-enforced newer major hospital or court house with a basement..preferably in a small closet or bathroom stall on the lower floors away from windows as far to center as you can get. if you know of a deep cave? you're set

Don't trust anything else, it must be constructed like a bank vault to ensure 100% security from tornadoes, especially f3 and higher...be safe good luck

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
In my part of Nashville we were very lucky. We didnt even have many small branches down this morning, and no flooding around here.

For all of you in areas that were not so lucky, my thoughts and prayers are with you and yours. And for those of you in the path of the storms tonight and tomorrow, good luck and stay safe. What a wild ride April has turned out to be.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
The earth is constantly changing, and doing the unexpected (well..sometimes..), it could very well be "normal" but we just don't have anything like this on records... I hope this crap clears up soon though, I'm very worried about the people in these areas...stay safe everyone! Sending good vibes your way.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Where are you? I'm in Dublin. This is certainly something keeping me from resting peacefully. I'm just so annoyed with it. Yes, we get tornado watches, but this is not really normal. We're not prepared for this stuff, because it happens so rarely we haven't had to worry too much about it.

I have a tendency to call "foul play on this." It feels a bit like terrorism. I sure as hell don't want FEMA in this area for any extended period of time. And, of course, it could be a natural thing. I shouldn't have to dig a storm shelter in this area of the country, though.

I'm hoping for some calming as Spring moves forward. I want to get my garden in full swing, that's hard to do with crazy weather.

reply to post by bsbray11

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Mother nature is really pissed

i have never seen that much bad weather covering thousand of miles
its been hard raining here in canada for the last 2 weeks

i have seen the scene on cnn
in alabama .. it look like a war zone .. even worst

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by cybertroy
Where are you? I'm in Dublin.

I'm in Narrows right now, near Pearisburg in Giles. I have family in Dublin.

WDBJ7 issued a warning from around 12:00am to 12:45am which included a statement that a tornado had been reported to have already caused damage in Bland, Pearisburg, and a handful of other locations around here. It's too dark and obviously very rainy and windy outside to see much yet, but by tomorrow I'm sure we will know the full extent of it.

This is certainly something keeping me from resting peacefully. I'm just so annoyed with it. Yes, we get tornado watches, but this is not really normal. We're not prepared for this stuff, because it happens so rarely we haven't had to worry too much about it.

I was thinking the same thing. People are posting about how we need to find tornado shelters, concrete bunkers and this and that. That's just not going to happen out here. We don't plan for tornadoes. Anywhere one hits is bound to be devastated.

I have a tendency to call "foul play on this." It feels a bit like terrorism. I sure as hell don't want FEMA in this area for any extended period of time. And, of course, it could be a natural thing. I shouldn't have to dig a storm shelter in this area of the country, though.

Sounds like you're echoing my thoughts exactly brother.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Interesting topic OP, couldn't help but see a face in your 6th photo.

The reason why I say interesting topic is that my residence was actually suppose to receive that storm on Monday and Tuesday. For some odd reason it never moved North enough to hit us and changed direction straight east while building up in the South into the storm it is now. Hope for the best in the area.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
That's cool, I have some family near there. My grandmother lived not far from Hardees and where Tasti-Freeze used to be, now, there is a Dairy Queen there. She lived out across the longish bridge, near Wal-Mart. Small world.

In the time I've been alive, I've not seen a tornado traverse the mountains, at least rarely. Mom remembers one in West Virginia, but that's long ago. It's not something that happens frequently for sure. I'm in a trailer, there is no basement. Again, do I have to build a storm shelter? Wow.

Troy

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join