It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sony being sued. Could loose Billions.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
X-box live is up next, These guys will for sure.....Microsoft has been asking for this for a long time.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Serizawa

It would shut up the people talking about '"you get what you pay for".

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
CHAIN OF EVENTS

I - Dude Hacks PS3 In His Free Time
II - Same guy posts exactly how to do it online [and breaches his ToS].
III - Sony brings him to court for breaching the Terms Of Service...which apparently none of you people read before you sign them.
IV - PSN gets hacked by a group claiming to have moral reasons for doing so.
V - Sony does the guy who originally hacked the system a favor by settling on a reduced punishment.
VI - PSN gets supa-hacked and Sony shuts it down.
VII - Every free user begins to bitch because they can't get their CoD fix or whatever and then claims they're entitled to something. Meanwhile the PS+ users take it in stride and just hope they can get back on soon.
VIII - Sony announces it may have lost your personal info to people who having nothing better to do than ruin others lives.
VIIII - Lawyer shows up and claims he is out to help us by suing Sony for you; no one [should be] believing him.
X - Free users are still bitching that Sony owes them because they didn't take enough care guarding their information...despite not having any proof of that claim

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Alright a few things, xbox was breached in the past, so don't be all high and mighty cause you are paying a monthly fee, get over it.

Second, this class action suit is stupid and I'd advise opting out if you can because:

1 > Sony did protect your information which i will explain below**
2 > if you don't opt out, the settlement will mostly go to the lawyers and you'll probably get a free month of PSN plus or something. Beyond that, you give up any legal ability to go after sony if your information was stolen and used for identify theft.

From the latest blog post this is what info I currently have (still haven't got my email from them yet):

Credit card / debit card numbers were stored in an encrypted system. They do not believe they were accessed, but they can't rule it out. Security/pin codes were never stored so they are completely safe.

The information that did get accessed that wasn't encrypted (security was breached) is names, billing address, password reset questions, purchase history.

It's bad, but not the end of the world, this will not kill sony, is xbox dead? nope, are any of the major banks and companies that got hacked and millions of peoples info stolen? Nope.

The real concern other than identity theft (they have almost enough to try) is if people used the same login and password for other sites and services.

This is a pain in the butt, but it's not the end of the world, Sony is currently working with security firms and law enforcement as well as rebuilding the network in a more secure manner and they are actually planning to move the data center to a more secure location.

that bothers me, move the datacenter? was this actually an internal intrusion not an external one? Was this actually an inside job?

Whatever, stay calm, watch your bank/credit history closely for awhile, don't fall for any phishing scams, and when the network comes back online be prepared to have to immediately change your password as they said this will be a forced update

=====

Awesome just as i clicked post I got the email:

=================================== PlayStation(R)Network =================================== Valued PlayStation Network/Qriocity Customer: We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19, 2011, certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account information was compromised in connection with an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into our network. In response to this intrusion, we have: 1) Temporarily turned off PlayStation Network and Qriocity services; 2) Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full and complete investigation into what happened; and 3) Quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our network infrastructure by rebuilding our system to provide you with greater protection of your personal information. We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill as we do whatever it takes to resolve these issues as quickly and efficiently as practicable. Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state/province, zip or postal code), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password, login, password security answers, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data may have been obtained, including purchase history and billing address (city, state/province, zip or postal code). If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained. While there is no evidence that credit card data was taken at this time, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may also have been obtained. For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email, telephone, and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security, tax identification or similar number or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking. When the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use your PlayStation Network or Qriocity user name or password for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them as well. To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage you to remain vigilant, to review your account statements and to monitor your credit or similar types of reports. We thank you for your patience as we complete our investigation of this incident, and we regret any inconvenience. Our teams are working around the clock on this, and services will be restored as soon as possible. Sony takes information protection very seriously and will continue to work to ensure that additional measures are taken to protect personally identifiable information. Providing quality and secure entertainment services to our customers is our utmost priority. Please contact us at 1-800-345-7669 should you have any additional questions. Sincerely, Sony Computer Entertainment and Sony Network Entertainment

edit on 28-4-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
UPDATE the government is in on it now.
April 26, 2011

Mr. Jack Tretton
President and CEO
Sony Computer Entertainment America
919 East Hillsdale Boulevard
Foster City, CA USA 94404

Dear Mr. Tretton:

I am writing regarding a recent data breach of Sony’s PlayStation Network service. I am troubled by the failure of Sony to immediately notify affected customers of the breach and to extend adequate financial data security protections.

It has been reported that on April 20, 2011, Sony’s PlayStation Network suffered an “external intrusion” and was subsequently disabled. News reports estimate that 50 million to 75 million consumers – many of them children – access the PlayStation Network for video and entertainment. I understand that the PlayStation Network allows users to store credit card information online to facilitate the purchasing of content such as games and movies through the PlayStation Network. A breach of such a widely used service immediately raises concerns of data privacy, identity theft, and other misuse of sensitive personal and financial data, such as names, email addresses, and credit and debit card information.

When a data breach occurs, it is essential that customers be immediately notified about whether and to what extent their personal and financial information has been compromised. Additionally, PlayStation Network users should be provided with financial data security services, including free access to credit reporting services, for two years, the costs of which should be borne by Sony. Affected individuals should also be provided with sufficient insurance to protect them from the possible financial consequences of identity theft.

I am concerned that PlayStation Network users’ personal and financial information may have been inappropriately accessed by a third party. Compounding this concern is the troubling lack of notification from Sony about the nature of the data breach. Although the breach occurred nearly a week ago, Sony has not notified customers of the intrusion, or provided information that is vital to allowing individuals to protect themselves from identity theft, such as informing users whether their personal or financial information may have been compromised. Nor has Sony specified how it intends to protect these consumers.

PlayStation Network users deserve more complete information on the data breach, as well as the assurance that their personal and financial information will be securely maintained. I appreciate your prompt response on this important issue.

Sincerely,

/s/

Richard Blumenthal
United States Senate

Press Contact
Ty Matsdorf or Kate Hansen, (202) 224-2823
[email protected]; [email protected]

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Sony is to pay out £150,000,000 to 3 million of us Brits apparently....£500 each for the inconvenience of them losing all our personal details.

Dont know how to claim yet....but damn...im claiming it!!
It was their job to make sure our details were not robbed and sold on the black market.

Sony has plenty of money to sort this out....they will probably be charging for the service in the future anyways so a few hundred million £$ is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by FeatheredSerpent
reply to post by CanadianDream420

Who said annon are involved?

Edit to add- personally i dont think annon are responsible for it.They would be the first to admit guilt if that was the case and this wasnt just a DDos attack it was theft of consumers details,annon clearly state they stopped there attack on sony because of the repercussions for the consumers.

Regards
Rapper

edit on 30/09/10 by FeatheredSerpent because: (no reason given)

This is false flag.

So is this the real anon or the CIAnon?

Which one?

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
At first I felt bad for Sony, but then my husband reminded me of the countless times I've cursed the hackers who would ruin a good game. How many times have sony come out with another update, only for nothing to be resolved. I like Playstation, I dont like Xbox, dont care for it. But I cant continue to be loyal as a gamer if they cant take enough steps to secure information. It was bad enough when I realized I HAD to use my debit card as opposed to the prepaid I bought JUST for playstation purchases. And then it seems once playstation hacking started taking off, seemed like everybody wanted to join in on it. I dont think it's anon anymore, I think it's a mixture of hackers, and sony's laziness because from what I've been reading so far, they knew they had open ends they needed to deal with.
edit on 28-4-2011 by WeBrooklyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by shikori

Just so everyone knows there was no credit card information stolen! Sony is just saying this to hush everyone up about them taking down the PSN after the DDOS...but Sony had it coming, psh telling us we can't mod our PS3's..
edit on 28-4-2011 by Nobama because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by WeBrooklyn

You have to realize Anon (75% of them anyways are retards that are used to spread information around) While the real hackers do the work. None of the /b/tards did anything only the hackers that go to /b/ as "/b/tards"

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Nobama

Great point /b/ and anon are not synonymous like most think.While sony did take security measures they were poor to say the least.

#29LOLshock94 27/04/11, 2:55 pm [user2] fake certs are known since years as vuln so companies encrypt such data twice normally [user2] but hey its sony –> its a feature

Wow that cracks me up.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
The legal issue is not that the system was hacked. The issues is the delay in Sony informing people that a data breach happened. Regardless of whether the credit card information was actually stolen or not, its legally required for Sony to have immediately reported a breach that could possibly affect peoples credit cards and personal information.

Secondly, if it is in fact true that Sony was storing full CC's and passing that information as text..... well thats just bad too. Legally, in order to store CC #'s, everything less the last 4 digits must be encrypted. And the CCV # can NOT be stored. Now I've read that this IS the case and Sony was encrypting the #'s with no CCV's but.... thats just their word.

I find it funny how much money Sony has shelled out to prosecute the people who jail broke the system. Perhaps they should have just put that money towards security? And frankly this probably would never have happened if they hadn't removed the option to install another OS on the system like they originally had.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by DerekJR321
I find it funny how much money Sony has shelled out to prosecute the people who jail broke the system. Perhaps they should have just put that money towards security? And frankly this probably would never have happened if they hadn't removed the option to install another OS on the system like they originally had.

Word from sony is they cut it for cost but there is reason to believe otherwise.Most people don't even care about the os so they don't get the point.This is a good analogy for this instance.

Co-lead counsel James Pizzirusso, head of Hausfeld LLP’s Consumer Protection Practice Group, said that “Sony’s actions are like a car manufacturer telling a buyer that it is going to remove the engine because it does not want to service the part anymore and then telling the consumer, ‘tough luck, we are not going to give you a refund.’ This type of activity is exactly what our country’s consumer protection laws were designed to protect against.”
Yeah sony you had it coming.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by John_Rodger_Cornman

Whilst i wont deny it could be a splinter group from annon i feel the attack comes from closer to japans shore,just a gut feeling.

Regards to all

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by DerekJR321

Well they aren't its encrypted they are just not ruling it out as a possibility.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Sounds like they didn't care in the first place. And wouldn't ya know, big companies again lying their way through and got caught with their pants down, trying to make more profit. Sounds like you can't trust them....ever!

1 Timothy 6:10 "For the love of silver(money) is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some, by longing for it, have strayed from the belief, and pierced themselves through with many pains."

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by shikori
Sony being sued. Could loose Billions

Wow... I hope they don't loose billions!

lmao, I hope that was a joke or typo.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seektruthalways1
Sounds like they didn't care in the first place. And wouldn't ya know, big companies again lying their way through and got caught with their pants down, trying to make more profit. Sounds like you can't trust them....ever!

1 Timothy 6:10 "For the love of silver(money) is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some, by longing for it, have strayed from the belief, and pierced themselves through with many pains."

Cant wait to get some compensation from this big company

Whats religion got to do with anything?? Please refrain from preaching garbage when its not required....ie...its nothing to do with the subject

P.s The church loves money more than anyone else...the church is guilty of more crimes than all the corporations in history
The church should really listen to whats written in the bible if they truly believe they are in contact with a sky fairy

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seektruthalways1

No silver is silver, not money, because it says they "pierced themselves through with many pains" That phrase is obviously about body piercing as silver is hypoallergenic. If your going to spout scripture, at least get the reference correct

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by shikori

Well the big corporations are now getting what we pay for! lol, Services like ps home where you gotta purchase goods in a virtual world are absolutely garbage. Buying T-shirts for $2m houses for $10? Who in their normal minds would waste so much money in a virtual world?.......I was shocked the first time I actually tried it out. Now even Nokia got us by the ...... with this OVIstore nonsense, I wonder what happened to free services and applications?
Hell if I'm buying a phone for $600 I wouldn't expect to have to purchase applications.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join