It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats Strip Unions of Bargaining Rights... (Drudge Report Headline)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

What's this, democrats are now getting into the "union busting" act, too? And in usually heavily democratic Massachusetts ...

source

House lawmakers voted overwhelmingly last night to strip police officers, teachers, and other municipal employees of most of their rights to bargain over health care, saying the change would save millions of dollars for financially strapped cities and towns.

The 111-to-42 vote followed tougher measures to broadly eliminate collective bargaining rights for public employees in Ohio, Wisconsin, and other states. But unlike those efforts, the push in Massachusetts was led by Democrats who have traditionally stood with labor to oppose any reduction in workers’ rights.

Unions fought hard to stop the bill, launching a radio ad that assailed the plan and warning legislators that if they voted for the measure, they could lose their union backing in the next election. After the vote, labor leaders accused House Speaker Robert A. DeLeo and other Democrats of turning their backs on public employees.

Guess this is no longer just a Republican/conservative issue ...

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
It never was a Republican / Democrat issue.
It always has been a truth though; unions had their place, and that was passe' since the 1970's... probably well before that even.
Jimmy Carter stripped collective barganing from federal employee unions way back then.
Kind of ironic, don't you think?

And don't tell the Dem's that the Republicans tried to get us out of Vietnam and ... /snick

edit on 4/27/2011 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by abecedarian
It never was a Republican / Democrat issue.

Well, you certainly wouldn't know that based on all the frenzied posting here on the similar laws in Wisconsin and other states. The MSM is also fond of blaming Republicans for "union busting" with these laws.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

big difference because the few posts in this thread had it been the republicans you would have been slammed

with the fascist nazi baby killers who hate women and children and teachers etc.

oh my how does that double standard ever become more clearer.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
This is very interesting. One wonders what their true motivation was for this? This is a 180° turn for them. It's hard to believe that all of a sudden the Democratic Party agrees that public sector collective bargaining is a bad thing and took steps.

/TOA

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

Could their true motivation be that maybe, just maybe, this whole issue wasn't entirely about the Koch Brothers trying to take over the world, or the Republicans trying to show how much they hate everybody?

Maybe many states in the U.S. are facing real financial issues, and the issues being addressed need addressing.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Personally, I think we should just let the democrats lead the way, since the California experiment is so successful. Lead on! Maybe Pelosi will run for president?

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American
This is very interesting. One wonders what their true motivation was for this? This is a 180° turn for them. It's hard to believe that all of a sudden the Democratic Party agrees that public sector collective bargaining is a bad thing and took steps.

/TOA

Political science teaches us that the underlying motivation of politicians is this, "those in power will do most anything to stay in power,"

the dems are seeing very clearly that most of America is against the unions and having just seen the house taking over by the republicans they are trying to secure their political place.

Of course let's not forget that most on here believe all of Congress is run by the elites and people have no say whatsoever in who get's elected so if your one of those you may disreagard what I wrote.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I'm sorry but this is so funny to me. I mean when it was the Republicans doing this in Wisconsin, everyone was up in arms, filling the state house, Democrats senators running from the state to stop the vote. And now the Democrats do this in another state, and there is barley even any mention of it.

It just goes to show you how fake the left/right paradigm really is.

Wake up people, Democrats and Republicans are the same.

Stop being good Democrats, stop being good Republicans, and start being good People.

On another note i see the same thing happening on a national level with war. When bush was going to war with Afghanistan and Iraq people were protesting everywhere. (Except the neo-cons) And now Obama goes to war, and everyone is quite about it. Such a sad state of affairs this country is in.

Gods Help us. Gods Save the Republic.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
This is awesome.

Public unions need to be put in their rightful place. There is no "right" to bargain for more of the taxpayer funds.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   

I think Vitchilo beat you to the punch on this one.
Link to thread.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oaktree

I think Vitchilo beat you to the punch on this one.
Link to thread.

Different forum.

I believe they can co-exist.

This thread has more activity ...

new topics

top topics

join