It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sketchers Shape-Ups for girls preschool size 2 - More body Image issues

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Shame on you Sketchers!
I was watching cartoon network with my kids and I just saw a commercial for Sketchers Shape-Ups for girls. I looked them up online and they start at preschool size 2. www.skechers.com...
Even though the American Council on Exercise did a study that says they do not work , and of course Sketchers denies the claims of the study, www.fitsugar.com... but that's not the point.
I'm sure this isn't too good for body image issues for girls as young as 6. Even though they don't come out and say these are supposed to make you look better because you are not good enough as you are... I feel it implies it. Leave it to adults to use these to tone and "shape-up" .
With all the negative press lately about companies using bad judgment when marketing to young girls, you would think they would think twice about promoting this product...on cartoon network.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by toolstarr

I agree that they did go a little too far marketing to such a young age group but I have to say I love the shoes. They (as the study said) did nothing on their own to help tone an firm other than being the most comfortable pair of shoes I've ever had which made me not mind walking more and I ended up walking for 45 min everyday on my lunch break for the past year so it helped with weight loss that way but normal shoes could have done the same (even if they weren't as comfy). They also give a little height boost which I enjoy but yeah I don't think they should be marketed to tween and younger those kids need running shoes to keep up with the energy they should have shape ups are walking shoes.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I agree whole heartedly. There is no purpose in "Toning" any child wearing a size 2. Regardless if they work or not, why not leave it at teaching your children good posture instead. But when you think of it, there isn't much these days that surprises me anymore. So that's why its the parents job to just say no or to not buy into them so that sketchers is forced to stop manufacturing due to lack of sales. Boycott if you may.

M

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
That age group is way too young to be marketing to considering the parents who would actually by such a thing for their child. The fact that even adults have such terrible body image issues that an obviously overweight adult has the audacity to wear them to a breakfast buffet and gets at least two plates of food (saw this with my own eyes) shows that children do not need to be wearing these.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   

ok shape ups for kids is a load of b.s. kids do not needed the added pressure of body image issues.and it is not healthy for a child to be involved in diet and over excercise. i have a 12 yr old girl and specifically have to point out to her tv and other media is full of it when it comes to beauty.ive had to do this since she was old enough to understand. shes actually realizing what is presented as "beauty" in pop culture, her age boys are not as excited about. she told me today the boys dont like certain singers, actresses, when they look"fake". these boys have actually said some of these girls look plastic and its gross to them. i told her being who you are and being confident is usually the most apealing to the opposite sex and her own sex. and being of hispanic culture, our curves are very beautiful ( so glad to see jo lo and kim kardashian with those ethnic curves). I think hollywood has become sick. when they are targeting 2 yr old babies, it is going to far. i agree with being healthy and a good portion control, but this is too far. teach our girls what really matters, your heart mind and soul, cause when those are corrupt that is ugly!

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
How about the american parents stop feeding their children pop and kfc. Seriously, when 33% of the population is not just fat but obese, thing need to change. Fat kids should know they are fat and their parents should feel ashamed for harming the kids.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   

OP, you've taken this way out of proportion.

They're marketing a shoe, whether it's by saying it'll help you run better or what not, they're not trying to say your children are out of shape.

It's a shoe. A shoe.

Should Nike stop selling small shoes for children because they are a "tennis shoe" which equates to "comfortable exercise"?

It is a shoe. It is not a diet pill aimed towards 5 year olds. It is a shoe.

Also, as a previous poster stated, shoes should be the last damn worry about their children, parents should be role models for their children and not eat fast food and other harmful stuff.

Anyways, as I was saying OP - it is a shoe. Nothing more. What you saw was a average commercial. Videos of little kids exercising in Shape Ups? What's wrong with little kids exercising and extending your market to them? Maybe they think the shoe will help in gym, be more comfy? There is absolutely nothing wrong here.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Sketchers are made in China. The fact that anyone would buy them in the first place is pathetic. You sketcher wearers should be ashamed of yourselves!

new topics

top topics

join