It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria: President Bashar al-Assad faces indictment by the International Criminal Court

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Syria: President Bashar al-Assad faces indictment by the International Criminal Court

www.telegraph.co.uk

President Bashar al-Assad faces indictment by the International Criminal Court as Western leaders were told on Sunday that the Syrian leader could be held to account for the deaths of 120 anti-government protesters.

An influential body of international judges and lawyers called for Mr Assad and his lieutenants to be held to account for Easter weekend attacks in which troops and militamen fire on civilians.

Human Rights Watch, the New York-based advocacy group, also called for action.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.telegraph.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.telegraph.co.uk... urt.html

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Unbelievable, This just shows that the Intl Criminal Court is just a tool to use against other country. I wonder why they were silent in Bahrain while civilians were being killed. America has no authority left. 120 does not even compare to the number Obama has killed with air force bombing.

Dr. Syed Ali Wasif, professor from Trinity University, says that President Obama would be liable for participating in war crimes under UN International Peace and Security rules because of his support of dictatorial and brutal regimes directly involved in the Bahraini bloodshed.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by MIDNIGHTSUN

Why don't you add all the other countries including now Italy?
Why just single out the US?

Oh yeah.
I remember, some people have Agendas which is reflected in their posting history..

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
and just where was this international
criminal court when GW Bush was using
depleted uranium in Iraq and Afghan ???
huh??? where were you then u hypocrites ??
Charge Assad for 180? when Bush was responsible
for hundreds of thousands ??? And where were
you when Obama ??? ... oh nevermind
it's useless. You should not play favorites
when it comes to war criminals.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Wonder what will happen if (when) a western country's people rise up and protest and that government starts rounding up and shooting it's people.

Will the western leadership face indictments? Doubtful.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

They guy deserves .38 calliber justice, and you're upset about an indictment?

There are plenty of bad guys to choose from in this world. You don't have to pick one over another.

It's okay, I promise.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
All this bull# is gonna lead us into World War 3! Round of applause for the world governments acting like children.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arcade425
All this bull# is gonna lead us into World War 3! Round of applause for the world governments acting like children.

Say nothing about 120 killings....

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

It's all bad in the end. We are human beings We are smarter then that. We as a society no better then to kill each other yet we do it every single day. Those people didn't deserve that no matter how the syrian president spins it. I have Syrian relatives as well, so I my heart goes out to their families.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
The situation in Syria is remarkably different than that of Libya before the invasion. What you see in the videos and reports being released out of the nation is that these are peaceful demonstrators who are not fighting the government with any live ammunition, RPG’s, or anything like that. 120 innocent people were slaughtered. Whether or not they belonged to the CIA conspiracy in the region is another story altogether.

If these people were armed and fought the government then such a brutal retaliation would be excessive, yes, but not completely condemnable. However these are innocent protesters and the government thugs have been sent into the streets firing live rounds into people’s houses while they are asleep at night. Assad, please try and justify that. You can’t!

My grandparents went through this same crap in Hungary during the 1956 Revolution when the Soviet tanks came into the streets, firing live rounds carelessly into every building in downtown. Assad is a monster, just like his pathetic father who sacrificed the lives of 20,000 Syrians back in the 1980s just so he could hold power.

Time for this man to go and the only people who can do that are the Syrian people. No NATO intervention besides sanctions.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Yeah, and Bahrain/Arabia/Israel threatened to beat the hell out of Iran if they try to get involved in Bahrain to rescue the Shia communities there (the Bahraini government has been attacking Shia mosques). It's pretty clear that this is a huge proxy war against Iran, a country that has not invaded or harmed other nations in centuries.

edit: Does anybody know whats happening in Lebanon? It had an explosive conflict between the legally elected Hezbollah government and the previous government in late 2010, but was overshadowed by Egypt and I haven't heard anything from Lebanon since January. What is going on there?
edit on 26-4-2011 by SmedleyBurlap because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SmedleyBurlap

Good question, what is going on there? It appears to me that they have a Hezbollah government (Islamist) and they have decided everything is okay yet their neighbors to the east in Syria under a regime which banned Burkas in universities is having a massive uprising. The Tunisian government where public religion was suppressed was also overthrown. The Egyptian leadership which was rather cozy with Israel has been overthrown. In Libya you have rebels with ties to Al-Qaeda fighting to overthrow Qaddafi who made it clear he doesn’t want any terrorists in his country besides his regime.

Notice a pattern here? It seems the only true Islamist nation in the Middle East right now is so silent you can hear crickets. Coincidence? I think not.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Where's the indictment towards G. W. Bush, Cheney and et al.
Why is it always Oriental leaders?
edit on 26-4-2011 by Skittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Give me a break, so two wrongs makes a right?
I’m fed up of hearing every time a Muslim country is criticized some ignorant ATS member brings up the west and their faults.

Assad is a Dictator who is killing Syrian civilians that want reform and freedom.

He and his father ruled over Syria for 29 years. His people want democracy and are dieing in the streets for their freedom. They should have their freedom and hang Assad just like Saddam.

Its stupid to involve or criticize the west over this. It’s a Muslim revolution against dictators and Muslim extremists.

I hope they kill him and finally have their freedom.

edit on 26-4-2011 by CountDrac because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmedleyBurlap

Yeah, and Bahrain/Arabia/Israel threatened to beat the hell out of Iran if they try to get involved in Bahrain to rescue the Shia communities there (the Bahraini government has been attacking Shia mosques). It's pretty clear that this is a huge proxy war against Iran, a country that has not invaded or harmed other nations in centuries.

Depends on how one defines "harm", I suppose.

edit: Does anybody know whats happening in Lebanon? It had an explosive conflict between the legally elected Hezbollah government and the previous government in late 2010, but was overshadowed by Egypt and I haven't heard anything from Lebanon since January. What is going on there?
edit on 26-4-2011 by SmedleyBurlap because: (no reason given)

Don't worry. Iran is still firmly in control of Lebanon, and your Hez buddies are doing fine.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I think, Misoir, that the end goal of the Arab revolutions is Islamism. This isn't a bad thing for us in the West unless we are afraid of Islam in general, like most morons are. If we are better than morons then we will be able to see through the fog of propaganda and see that most Islamists are about as dangerous as Christian Democrats in Europe. Islam has been suppressed for a very long time in the ME by secular leaders, who succeeded European puppets like King Faisal, who succeeded more direct colonial regimes like the British protectorate in Egypt. Islamism is a sort of return to the status quo, and if it returns because of popular demand then it is democratic. That is what the demos of the M-E want, a regime that actually reflects their values and not foreign values.

Luckily for us vague liberty-philes in the West, most urban Arabs these days are very fond of Modernism and share many values with us.

top topics

join