It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

80% of Brits don't care about the royal wedding.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
80% of Brits don't care about the royal wedding.

The UK taxpayers rather than the royal family will actually pay for the lavish USD 48 million ceremony in London.

This is while Britons already pay some GBP 40 million a year to maintain the British royal family.

April 29 has been declared a national holiday to mark Prince William's marriage to Kate Middleton in London's Westminster Abbey.

The one-day holiday is also estimated to cost Britain about USD 10 billion.

To compound the situation, the upcoming royal extravaganza comes at a time of worsening economic conditions in Britain, which is struggling with a massive budget shortfall.

The British government is taking austerity measures in an attempt to contain the country's huge budget deficit. The eye-watering measures have already sparked violent protests nationwide.

Some observers believe the British government is using the upcoming Royal Wedding to distract the Britons from their economic woes. Meanwhile, a recent poll shows Britons are far less excited about the Royal Wedding than the extensive flattery of media coverage suggests.

The poll carried out by the campaign group Republic has shown that almost 80 percent of the Britons simply do not care about the so-called big day. Based on the poll, almost one in three people also believes that the state-run BBC's coverage of the wedding is biased in favor of the royals.

Pro-democracy activists in Britain also ask how it is possible for a country that claims to be a promoter of democratic principles to advertise hereditary monarchy in the third millennium. Other analysts point out that England has been behind the establishment of the autocratic regimes that people are rising up against in the Middle East.

so do we in the west really care about the royal wedding,i for one don't !

+7 more 
posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMaverick

I hope it rains real hard all day, and all the people that attend get soaked. In a perfect world nobody would show up and solar flares would knock out communications for that day so no one can watch it on TV.

I am so sick of it and can't wait for it to be over.

Yeah, I know, I sound bitter, it is what it is

link   
I havent met a person yet who is even showing the slightest interest in it and i live in london.

link   
Along with 100% of Americans!!!

link   

So you are telling me they did a poll on every single Brit?

What a load of nonsence!!!

link   
I would say 90% of Americans also don't care about the royal wedding.. I know i don't.. But you know how these thing's go.. The media will try there damnedest to make us care.. Good Luck..

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by TechVampyre

Of course not, but thats why there are now 500 American reporters NOW in London to cover the wedding!!!

HELLOOOOOOO !!!
edit on 26-4-2011 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
well...thats alot of money for the tax payer...they should show some interest
(sarcasm)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Sounds like good news. I remotely remember hearing about a royal wedding somewhere and wondering if anyone cared. I'm glad to hear so few care about it because it always bothers me when people who never accomplish anything in life (ie most celebrities) are put on a pedestal.

Most famous people are famous because they are good at playing pretend, as in adult actors. I have heard the same is not true in India, where scientists are put on a pedestal, and wonder how true that is.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein

Maybe, but viewing estimates from the U.S broadcasters have about 130 million people watching it. I don't necessarily believe these figures, but that would be at around 60% - 65% U.S citizens not interested.

I know at least 50% of my acquaintancies are looking forward to the day and a number have actually gone up to London to try to acquire a good vantage point.

It doesn't interest me to be honest as I have no affection for any of them, but 80% seems a lot in my book.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
It's pretty ridiculous some of the things we pay too much attention to.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
It's been my impression that they don't care about this particular wedding. I doubt the infatuation with everything royal will ever disappear. I don't understand it, and I doubt they will understand our own infatuation with women's breasts.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   

I don't know how those brits stomach it. I mean the conditioning starts as soon as they are born, but the 5th richest person? Why? As long as there are hungry, poor, or homeless people, that woman should be too scared to leave her house. But the country gets to pay so that her and her family can look at their peasants with their noses up in the air. Hey, America isn't much better either, I admit. But a monarchy in this century is just retarded.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I dont give a # and i dont know anyone who does :s Im goign to a BBQ instead, maybe ther'll be some BBQ'd monarchy!

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978

Maybe, but viewing estimates from the U.S broadcasters have about 130 million people watching it. I don't necessarily believe these figures, but that would be at around 60% - 65% U.S citizens not interested.

I know at least 50% of my acquaintancies are looking forward to the day and a number have actually gone up to London to try to acquire a good vantage point.

It doesn't interest me to be honest as I have no affection for any of them, but 80% seems a lot in my book.

The American people watch it for the same reason I look at pictures on the web about it....KATE MIDDLETON in a bikini or something. If she wasn't so hot, nobody would watch it at all!!!

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Something stinks about this wedding.. not gonna call it Royal as i see absolutely nothing 'Royal' about this so-called family of clingers on.

What is bugging me is the engagement ring... It was Diana's;

Wills gives Kate Diana's ring

www.dailymail.co.uk...
The picture of this ring on Kates finger has been plastered over the main page for the BBC news site for weeks now.. It's almost like they don't want us to forget something or are trying to tell us that something is not right..

Is this the first sign that this is all rigged in order to achieve something else? In my mind, Diana was used to bring in some new blood and provide a few kids for the throne...nothing more..

Is the wedding a big sham in order to 'help' people forget the current events regarding the economy and job situation?

Is it something even darker and a marker for a false flag affair?

It's been bugging me since I first heard about this wedding and I cannot wait for it to all be over with.. Over hyped drivel in my opinion.
I actually feel sorry for Diana's boys who have been forced into right royal scam by this family. I feel sure that these two boys would have grown up rather differently had their mother still been alive today.. I am sure she would have had more say in their upbringing and what they were taught..

I might just keep an eye on the proceedings on TV just to see if anything 'terrifying' happens, but I'm also tempted to turn the damned thing off just so they don't get the TV ratings they hope for..

In many areas of where I live, I have only seen ONE house decorated with a string of union jacks.

I've not heard any gossip on the streets about it either..
All is quiet on the Western front...

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheMaverick

The UK taxpayers rather than the royal family will actually pay for the lavish USD 48 million ceremony in London.

"The Royal Family, with a private contribution from the Middleton Family, will pay for all those aspects of the day that constitute the wedding (e.g. the Abbey service, flowers, dresses, carriage procession, reception and dinner). The Government and other bodies will pay for costs that are consequential to the wedding."

Source: www.officialroyalwedding2011.org...

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Couldn't care less about "the wedding" !!

Much more interested in the reception party organized by Hazard Harry, now if we could get video of that.

The Royals are much more interesting when they are drunk.

Cosmic...

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978

The American people watch it for the same reason I look at pictures on the web about it....KATE MIDDLETON in a bikini or something. If she wasn't so hot, nobody would watch it at all!!!

Sorry to disappoint you old chap, but she won't be in a bikini. Just some lavish dress that all taxpayers have contributed to.

Anyway, the whole day and build up is a bore. People say that William is Diana's son and he will continue her traditions, that is total BS. He is royal first and foremost.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
the MSM is into the promotion of this wedding, thus, it's promoted as any other major event TV show or major event rock concert. "follow the money" and you will find out who stands to gain. i couldn't care less about it myself, but, i keep hearing about "how all of america is going to watch" and such tripe as "americans are giddy about the wedding"...the media is just drumming up business for it's own personal monetary gain. gee....wealthy people getting married...(yawn)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join