It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's time for the Reagan Questions-and Obama won't like the answers....

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ec192bc49515.jpg[/atsimg]

Washington, DC- During the final presidential debate of the 1980 election, Ronald Reagan, running against Jimmy Carter, turned to the camera and asked “Are you better off than you were four years ago?” The debate took place against a backdrop of spiraling inflation and rising unemployment. A week later, Reagan won the election by one of the largest margins in recent history.

At the time, my mind was just beginning to understand (try to) American politics. I had few memorie prior to what I wish to bring up like Nixon leaving the White House, Carten/Iran etc. But, lucky for me, my first real memory that meant something to me was when P.O.T.U.S Canidate Reagan asked these questions of the American People-about the Carter Years (which we now have examined and can see he was a bad P.O.T.U.S.

Anyway, for you oldies ATSers.... trip down memory lane..sadly we have to ask and do this again. For you young ones... TRUST ME> Watch this and ask yourself: Are you Better Off Now than you were a few years ago? (by 2012 it will be 4 years).

What an inspiring person. Especially now we can see how effective he was as the P.O.T.U.S. Well, to many-the Greatest President yet.

Now, I wonder who from the Republican Party will be the Lucky One to ask Obama this during the Election Debates. I bet you the Obama admins are already working on a reply they think will do... lol
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7499353b3799.jpg[/atsimg]

So, let us know your thoughts.

edit on 4/26/2011 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Another good one line would be to us a line from JFK. Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Ron Paul just announced for the presidency
Obama will have to assassinate to get re elected

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Op, Carter to Reagan was exactly like Bush- to Obama.
Carter fu#### this country up with his inflation, which an idiot could have done a better job.
Then we got our change with the Reagan Nomics, owe yes, trickle down economics that never happened.

Move ahead

Joker Bush, had this country in the dumpsters, and Obama comes in under a Trojan horse of CHANGE, yes we have literally gotten change, and not for the betterment of the American people.

The house of the proverbial cards must end. as the Dem's and the Rep's have whispered sweet fun loving, heart felt words to the American audience, but their actions have always proven that they are full of deceit

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Exactly what would obama have to run on? What HAS he done good for our country? The only problem is that the press is deep in obama's pocket and will not ask any hard questions of him, which only leaves us with forums like this to put out the truth on what a train wreck obama is or has been for the US.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Well, it hasn't quite been 4 years yet...but 2 years ago...

2 years ago we were in a recession and now we are not.

2 years ago jobs were being lost by the thousands and now they are coming back.

2 years ago peoples 401ks were plummeting and now they are not.

2 years ago banks were closing all over the place, and now they are not.

All signs point to the economy continuing to improve.

Republicans may want to think twice before asking this question.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Yes, the Democrats chickens finally came home to roost while Bush was on his way out. The Dems are the reasons the banks were failing etc.

Shall we start with ACORN and the demands they put on Banks to give Loans to people who shouldn't have gotten them?

Or, maybe with Fanny and/or Freddie. I think they had a part in it all-don't you?

Or should we start off with the restrictive rules/laws and or regulations the Democrate have put into place while they were in power for so long that has complete choked our energy producing capibilities?

Yes, the Republicans better dam hell ask the questions. Let them ask and we'll see what happens. No Fear Here.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I can only wish the Republicans are that foolish to try that strategy.

You may believe that it all falls on the Democrats...but Republicans know their role in it...and they really don't want to talk about it. They don't want to talk about the causes of the housing crisis...that would be INSANE for them.

There is only one thing they want to talk about, spending since Obama took office. They absolutely don't want to talk about anything before Obama took office.

But if you want them to...I would welcome it.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

What?

The economy is improving slightly not because of obama it's inspite of obama's bungling
Jobs are still being loss and unemployment is still higher then when President Bush was in office.
As far as the recession being over? Since when? Notice the increase in fuel prices? Notice the cost of everything else in stores rising? The recessions not over the press just isn't reporting on it because if people really knew it'd make obama look worse then he already is.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I think the "last 4 years" and the "next 4 years" are part of the problem.

The American people (politicians and voters) only look at a 4-year window, and not any farther. This leads to a couple of problems:

1. People get voted in by saying one thing, then don't follow through and do whatever they want for 4 years. Then (maybe) get voted out, but that's it.
2. People kick the issue down the road until "the next 4 years" so it's someone else's problem, and things don't get resolved, because the next person in kicks the issue again.

IMO, people that decide to get into politics should be responsible for their actions/inactions FOR LIFE. A person shouldn't get to move in for 4 years, make a mess of things (most likely while making a small fortune in the process), then move on with no repercussions.

I also think that there should be either: YEARLY elections (with minimal campaigning--paid to work, not to campaign) or a universal recall feature (probably the more viable option). Basically, a person is elected for 4 years, but can be given the boot at any time (not just 4 years later) if they aren't doing what they were elected to do.

Thoughts?

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
the question, are you better off now than four years ago?....is realy an individual thing unless you try to look at the big picture.
what is the big picture...prices for everthing seem to be rising and pay seem to have been frozen or lowering. on a personal level, i look at myself and friends and what do i see...the same thing..pay freezes, pay cuts (yes, actually saying we have to cut your pay by 5% ) and raises being in the pennies per year.
and rather than there being less of the u.s. military running around the world, its increasing.

only a very 'strong' president could influence the current state of politics and is that really ever gunna happen. americans listen to the politicians promise this that and the other thing and when they dont come anywhere near what they had promised, americans say, 'well all poiticians lie' and they walk away and do it again in the next election. there is no accountability in the job of politicians. imagine if you could act and say things at your job like politcians do??!

america should be changed to americant

there is no hope for america

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by clearmind

man, I go have lunch, come back feeling pretty good.

Then your post. Bummer. But because I think you are correct.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

You sure about all that non-sense you listed above?

The U.S. economy is dying and we are heading for the next Great Depression. The talking heads in the mainstream media love to spin the economic numbers around and around and they love to make it sound like the economy is improving, but the truth is that it doesn’t take a genius to see what is happening to the U.S. economic system. All over the nation many of our greatest cities are being slowly but surely transformed into post-apocalyptic wastelands. All over the mid-Atlantic, all along the Gulf coast, all throughout the “rust belt” and all over the entire state of California cities that once had incredibly vibrant economies are being turned into rotting, post-industrial hellholes.

In many U.S. cities, the “real” rate of unemployment is over 30 percent.

So much for your job's coming back notion?

In the city of Detroit today, there are over 33,000 abandoned houses, 70 schools are being permanently closed down, the mayor wants to bulldoze one-fourth of the city and you can literally buy a house for one dollar in the worst areas.

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, Detroit lost a resident every 22 minutes between the years of 2000 and 2010.

The above doesnt suggest any growth?

At the height of the economic downturn, the mayor of Detroit admitted that while the “official” unemployment rate in Detroit was about 27 percent, the “real” unemployment rate in his city was actually somewhere around 50 percent.

Yup theres growth there too! LOL

In a recent article entitled “City of Ruins“, Chris Hedges did an amazing job of documenting the horrific decline of Camden. Hedges estimates that the real rate of unemployment in Camden is somewhere around 30 to 40 percent, and he makes it sound like nobody in their right mind would want to live there now….

theeconomiccollapseblog.com...
www.infowars.com...

The article continues with other references to other cities. But considering your suggesting that there is true growth, when that is further from the truth is mind boggling.
edit on 26-4-2011 by Whereweheaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

I get it, you're either trying to be funny or you believe everything that the current administration is telling you to believe. Please take off the blinders long enough to read the news.

Here's a comprehensive list of FAILED banks. No shortage of bank closures over the past two years. Fridays are never good in the banking realm.
www.fdic.gov...

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I am not better than 4 years ago.
Our soldiers are not better off.
Our economy is not better off.
People are not looking for work anymore. Remember when Obama said that unemployment would not get above 8%? Now we're supposed to be HAPPY that it's NEARING 8%!!??

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
ditto on not being better off in fact i am worse off

i have less money now than i did under bush

echoing bezzer said.

this country is not better off its in serious danger.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Excellent work Sir.

Star.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Better off? In a word...Nope.

Let's see...........even two years ago.....

I was working for an expanding company with decent pay and benefits and a good retirement plan while working the family farm, too. Then our whole division was shut down 17 months ago. No job to be found in our area for 9 months. The company hired us back on as part-time employees with the promise of full-time reinstatement for 8 months and shut down our division again along with two others and moved most of the operation to Mexico and China (they hired us to move it out...they told us they were going to re-tool for expanded operations for us but the economy in 2010 and the threat of tax hikes killed it off - that was straight from the CEO). There went any more unemployment. In our state the unemployment benefits have run out for several of my old co-workers and others have moved to different states to find work or move in with family. Houses in our area were on the market for six weeks to six months for the high end homes. Now the real estate agents are going bankrupt faster than the banks are. Four banks in our area have been ordered by the FDIC to not make a single loan, credit card, etc. or they would be seized.

For Pete's sake, even a McDonalds, Taco Bell, and Burger King have closed down. A Domino's Pizza caught fire back in February and the company decided not to rebuild it, just cut their losses and quit.

The family savings is getting sucked dry to make ends meet and plant a cash crop that we won't see until fall.

We're not even better off than we were last week, let alone two years ago.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
ditto on not being better off in fact i am worse off

i have less money now than i did under bush

echoing bezzer said.

this country is not better off its in serious danger.

You both hit it straight on....but another problem is you have people across this nation, including ATS'ers who will support and defend the ignorance of the current POTUS...members like Sinnthia who couldn't find his way out of a paper bag, who will sit there as a typical keyboard commando and preach to all of us on how great Obama is doing, what he has done for this country.

Its people like that, that are the problem and need to be eradicated.....preferably on a deserted island far away from people with a brain....

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chance321
Exactly what would obama have to run on? What HAS he done good for our country? The only problem is that the press is deep in Obama's pocket and will not ask any hard questions of him, which only leaves us with forums like this to put out the truth on what a train wreck obama is or has been for the US.

All he has to do is run on the status Quo. A ton has changed since 1980. Seriously our country may be so far gone, the irresponsible receiving handouts in one form or another may outnumber contributing members of society. It will be a miracle if the economy holds together till the election, but if it does Obama will probably win, then he will have to deal with the next depression.

Actually if we had perfect turnout today, I'm almost positive Obama would win, Really the only chance of him being beaten is people against him are going to be more motivated to turn out than his supporters. Will it be enough, only if the right candidate is nominated against him.

Obama will get the votes of most government workers, most overpaid union workers, illegal aliens, welfare recipients, a good portion of seniors scared of necessary cutbacks to social security and medicare. That may be enough. Especially if the seniors get scared enough about budget cuts, remember they care about their own lives a lot more than they do about the future, and they turnout in a major way. This by the way is why our economy is going to collapse, political change simply will not happen for this very reason.

Then of course hard core liberals who would support him if his actions mirrored Hitler as long as he represents their political team - and says the right thing. Even if they don't particularly like him, to many hard core dems - anyone - anyone is better than a Republican, even if in actuality there is little difference in how each party acts with regards to truly important matters.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join