It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SETI Institute suspends search for aliens

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   

www.mercurynews.com

Lacking the money to pay its operating expenses, Mountain View's SETI Institute has pulled the plug on the renowned Allen Telescope Array, a field of radio dishes -- popularized in the Jodie Foster film "Contact" -- that scan the skies for signals from extraterrestrial civilizations.

In an April 22 letter to donors, SETI Institute CEO Tom Pierson said that last week the array was put into "hibernation," safe but nonfunctioning, because of inadequate government support.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
SETI was forever made famous in the movie Contact, with Jodie Foster, but unlike the movie, we have not seen any signals or contact from them.

It seems the end has arrived for Seti, and maybe even our search for ET life out there somewhere.

This makes me sad in a way, for this IMHO would have been very good proof of the existence of ET's if and when SETI managed to find something.

But now it is finished.

www.mercurynews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Hmmm! That is sad news ...

However, to put a twist on things, could this be the way we get the alien attack coz our SETI is down???

Just a thought ... Then the govt. can say, oh but we didn't know this was gonna happen that's why we couldn't warn anyone!

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   
i'd laugh if "aliens" were just about to be proven, but SETI got turned off

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Not completely dead, just without that particular antenna array, very crippled.

And this story was already posted earlier.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by faryjay
Hmmm! That is sad news ...

However, to put a twist on things, could this be the way we get the alien attack coz our SETI is down???

Just a thought ... Then the govt. can say, oh but we didn't know this was gonna happen that's why we couldn't warn anyone!

alien attack because seti is down??

not sure what you are trying to say here.. do you know what seti is?

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Why look for them with a Telescope Array when we will soon be able to talk to them via cellphone?

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
The idea that interstellar species communicate using radio to me personally seems silly.

From that point of view, it was a waste of money. SETI needs to be working on theoretical interstellar communications.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

I think he means that the government/tptb/whoever else already know that an alien attack is coming, and shut down SETI so that they could claim ignorance about the whole affair.

Which wouldn't really matter... it's not like aliens would be broadcasting a radio signal saying "HAY GUYS WERE-A-COMING TO ATTACK YOOZ!"

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by James1982

It wouldn't be "Hay Yooz"
Its All Your Base Are Belong To Us!

Seriously though Neutrinos and Graviton based comms are far far more likely. This radio mess is useless.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com... maybe this new array will pick up from where seti finishes up ........................................................2nd
edit on 26-4-2011 by scratcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by scratcher

All we can do is hope . . .
Wait and hope . . .
And be sitting ducks for laser-happy UFOs.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by DesertedIsland

or they have been already and they have no need to keep it on anymore.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by scratcher

If its not a neutrino or graviton detector its useless.

Even then, the ELFs probably use Krasnikov channels or Lorentzian bridges to stream neutrino packets. In other words, any detector will probably be a waste of money as we are likely centuries away from being able to detect any spacetime disturbances from wormholes.

If they are out there, they'll find us before we find them. We emit a quite abit of EM garbage, plus neutrinos from our nuclear plants.
edit on 26/4/11 by MikeboydUS because: of

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
ded to set up shop elsewhere as they are probably threatened to reveal all documents.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Actually they quit looking because they found all the aliens.
They just didn't tell everyone because they thought it might
affect,,,,, well, never mind.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by gmac10001
reply to post by DesertedIsland

or they have been already and they have no need to keep it on anymore.

I agree!!!

That's the 1st thing I thought when I read the title.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   

edit on 26-4-2011 by TheLogicalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLogicalist
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Blame the teabaggers

What? Why? How could they stop the private donations on which SETI has run for many years?

How could anyone? This is very strange indeed. I posted an article from Space in 2007 in the other thread on this which outlines exactly why it's impossible for private donors to ever stop supporting SETI.

And yet now it has happened. There's not one nerdy rich guy who still wants to keep the lights on? Something is not right with this.
edit on 26-4-2011 by sepermeru because: edit button is my best friend

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep
SETI was forever made famous in the movie Contact, with Jodie Foster, but unlike the movie, we have not seen any signals or contact from them.

I wouldn't say they hadn't seen [any signals or contact] Whether we could have figured out what it was is a whole other argument. Some believe we were just lucky enough to receive the tail end of a message sent to us or something that was sent to anybody listening. I wrote a thread on the topic a while back. SETI Waste of Time & Money Lot's of good arguments both Pro and Con. I think MikeboydUS mirrors how I feel on the subject.

The Wow! signal

Jerry Ehman, a professor at Franklin University in Columbus, looked at the printout from Big Ear Observatory and circled the standout signal "6EQUJ5" and scribbled "Wow!" in the margins.

<<   2  3 >>

join