It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Improvised Explosive Device Discovered On An Overpass In Brownsville

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Improvised Explosive Device Discovered On An Overpass In Brownsville

www.krgv.com

BROWNSVILLE - Police say a passerby on the southbound side of Highway 77 noticed what looked like a grenade near the FM 1732 overpass and alerted authorities around 5 p.m. Sunday.

The improvised explosive device or I-E-D was disarmed by a bomb squad using a robot. No one was hurt. Parts of Highway 77 were closed for several hours.

Police are continuing to investigate.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
This story does not seem to be getting any media attention and certainly warrants keeping an eye on.

There are three possibilities. Muslim extremists, Mexican Cartels and the random loon.

Either of the first two would be very significant.

With all of these types of events, should they uncover who placed the bomb there, they will tear themselves up on how to explain it as a random act, despite considerable evidence to the contrary.

We'll see if the government, particularily the DOJ calls this person/group terrorists. Doubtful

www.krgv.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 25-4-2011 by dolphinfan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

There are three possibilities. Muslim extremists, Mexican Cartels and the random loon.

You forgot #4

CIA, FBI, DHS, and too many other alphabet entities.

Placed there to lay blame on the aforementioned 3 in your list.

IMO

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
That's what happens when you have a no apprehension policy.
Los Zetas, anyone? Isn't being PC so warm & cuddly?

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Its just the drug war were not in.
Nothing to see here move along... move along

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Improvised Explosive Device... for times when the word bomb just isn't scary enough.
It'll probably turn out to be some kid's lost M-80 firework.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Could also be army-surplus someone discovered and didn't know where to hand it into, lets face it without being too disrespectful the average American is fearful of being branded a terrorist these days because god-knows they've seen too many stories like this that have been innocent and ended up on front-page news.
So they simply disposed of it on the roadside and made it someone else's problem.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
One of the problems with stories like these is they truly are devoid of details, something that looked like something was disarmed by a robot.

Oh kay what was the actual something, plastique, cordite, gunbowder, nitro, tnt?

The story ought to read, something that looked like something wasn't something and a robot picked it up and threw it away.

Otherwise provide some real details press, and police.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
The reporter to the story Cristina Rendon didn't have much to say about this Improvised Explosive Device or what ever it was i cant even come to a conclusion on this story and i cant find anything else in the media about it either ..But it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't the Mexican Cartels dirty deed on our war on drugs..thanks for the find OP S&F

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Seems to me to be more of a prank (bad one too) rather than an actual I.E.D. I would think that if anyone was going to plant a real I.E.D. they would have used something with more punch and made it less obvious.

Then again.....It could have been a response test to see what agency and how they responded to something like that.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
There are only a few responses here so far but I want to take the opportunity to give a big freakin' thank you to all of you that use the word bomb.

What the hell is an Improvised Explosive Device? It's a bomb! Just like what was previously said, when bomb ain't scary enough. For the new wars TPTB needed a new cool word for the kids and media to use.

I have for a long time resisted the current media, government, TPTB lexicon and I encourage and support others to do that same.

If there is any place on the net where people see through intentional linguistic manipulation it would be ATS.

Thanks everyone.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

Probably some kid taped an old TV remote to an empty toilet paper roll and watched the adults go bat**** and bring out the robots.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by sdocpublishing

Amen brother (or sister). Welcome to the world of Orwellian newspeak. Just like the guy in Michigan who had a trunk full of M-80s which the media quickly reported as explosives because flash powder just doesn't sound scary enough.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Texas is known to have a high Muslim populate in certain areas. I'm not saying it was any of the loving and caring ones, but maybe an extremist?

Also, this is what I feel - Mexican Cartels
edit on 25/4/2011 by CalmAsHinduCows because: I tend to leave out small words when I type too fast, haha.

edit on 25/4/2011 by CalmAsHinduCows because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
IMHOP, this is the real deal. It may have not been intentionly placed there, but it was from the drug war (and there IS a war) going on down here.
There have been devices of this type thrown into a few local bars over the past few years. None have detonated but they are being used. These IED's are being used sucsesfully across the border to blow up cars and fronts of buildings pretty regular. I dont know how far north all this news travels, but if this is the first mention abroad welcome to the party.
Another biggie around here are caltrops. The smugglers and drug runners are throwing these things out by the pound.
Not as bad yet as the Middle East, but 3rd world terrorism no doubt.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
First and foremost, Just like in Colombia during the eighties and early nineties, the cartels have no interest in killing random innocent civilians. All their attacks are typically directed at rivals, law enforcement, and/or traitors or screw ups within their business. Any civilians that do die are typically accidents or collateral damage. Like they could not get cover and were caught in a crossfire or were too close to intended target when bomb went off.

Now let me tell you, the cartels have absolutley no qualms or fear of attacking law enforcement head on. They do it in Mexico, they did it in Colombia. In america they are able to move about quite easily, so they never really have to bother. I mean they destroyed a federal courthouse in Colombia during Escobars reign and most of the case files were lost in the fire. They had to call in tanks to finally get what hostages remained alive.

An overpass on some rural highway is of zero, ABSOLUTLEY NO interest to any members of the cartels.

As for Muslim extremists, its a possibility, but so is the possibility of any extremist. Christian extremists have set off bombs in America themselves. The Jewish defense league definetly not composed of saints. Then you got your typical anti-government loon. Much more likely, but they dont usually attack a low casualty target with no real signifigance to a particular agency.

As for the term I-E-D , I figured this term is interchange with bomb for one particualr reason. Nearly all IED's take explosive material that is either not already a complete functioning explosive, or an explosive that failed to go off as intended. These materials are then rigged to homemade detonators thus being "improvised" and creating the term "Improvised Explosive Device" .

A grenade does not detonate on its own without some manual action taking place, therefore if it was connected to special detonater it became an improvised explosive.

These are my thought and opinions on the matter at hand.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

You seem to be ignoring the possibility of US grown , non religious anarchist groups, supremacist nutcases, and so on. Is there a reason you left them out of the equation based on the information you have?
The article suggests that the device was left near an overpass? Is it possible that some militant green party eco warriors might have left it to scare motorists off the freeways?
Given the target location, seems to me that any one of a huge number of motives, and a thousand or so possible culprits spring to mind, including government sponsored false flagging and lord knows how much else.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Brownsville Police spokesman Eddie Garcia says a passing motorist alerted authorities about 5 p.m. Sunday to a grenade modified and left on an overpass along southbound U.S. 77. A bomb squad shut down traffic for three hours to disarm it.

Garcia said Tuesday the device had no trigger, was poorly built and "would have caused minimal damage."

Source

I doubt if it was any type of anarchists, religious extremists or any other group with an agenda. More than likely just some good 'ole boys who were gonna do a little dynamite fishing and had it bounce out of the back of their pickup truck. Seems to be a waste of a perfectly good grenade.

new topics

top topics

join